Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Vermont: rental, job market, vt auto insurance, 4wd vehicles, winter driving.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:08 PM

319 posts, read 963,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Congratulatons on your upcoming move.

I moved to southern Vermont (Brattleboro)from Brooklyn NY about 5 1/2 months ago and I am now proud and grateful to call Vermont home.

I moved in the fall and am going through my first Vermont winter.

You will have plenty of time to get ready for next winter. All I had to do was get studded snow tires for my car in the late fall. I have a FWD and thought I'd need to get an AWD. But the studded snow tires were all I needed. But then I live in a major town in the southeastern corner of the state, which, I think, has a much milder climate than where you are going.

Since you are moving from Florida, you will probably have to invest in warm winter clothing. If you have some from a previous home in a colder area, then you may not have to. I found I did not have to buy any new clothes or boots because what I had brought from New York was perfectly adequate. I have used the same winter jacket. I did buy some new boots and hats, but I could have stayed perfectly warm with what I already had.

The other necessity is heating fuel, which is a big and absolutely necessary expense. If your rental includes heat and hot water, that is a good thing, but not all do. Hopefully, you'll have your own thermostat and will be able to have some control over how warm your home is.

Streets are well plowed after a snowstorm, but you still have to develop skill and confidence with winter driving. I was most concerned about that before moved up, but with experience and studded snow tires, I've been fine.

Snow tires, warm clothes, heating fuel and winter driving are pretty much all you'll have to adjust to, at least with regard to winter.

Of course, you'll be living in a new locale, with a new people and a new area culture, so you'll also have to adjust to that. Where I live there is plenty going on, plenty of things to do and plenty of places to go, but I don't know much about St. Johnsbury. It is in the Northeast Kingdom, which is supposed to be the most beautiful part of Vermont, and, I have read, the most isolated and conservative.

Please keep us posted about your experiences!

Good luck! And welcome to Vermont!
how bout remembering to plug the car in???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 08:31 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Get the best winter gear (clothes) you can afford. Buy good quality (not cheap) boots, coats and so on. You will need several hats for winter, also gloves.

I've worn my winter boots 5 months now...(since November) when the snow and mud and ice started. They were new, now look like they have been beat to hell but still are water tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont