Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 02:29 PM

115 posts, read 430,732 times

Advertisements

Yes I have been on here complaining about the lack of jobs and the cost of living and the eco-nuts domination of Montpelier.............but today I want to warn anyone stupid enough to come here that they better not have to use the Health system here because that sucks too especially the network of primary care physicans. My wife who is suffering from a debiliatating condition has had no end of problems trying to get the right treatment...something she never experienced when we lived in PA and MD. I honestly don't know whether the doctors up here are actually educated enough to read medical records or understand english.

I can safely say that VT is the worst state in the nation and you would be a fool to move here or stay if you are already here.............I just can't wait for our nightmare to end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 02:44 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,183 times
In two years here I have not yet needed to see a MD so I can't comment on the overall quality and competence of providers. But, in a few years I will qualify for a retirement from an out of state employer which also has the added benefit of a monthly medical trust. Researching information for purchasing health insurance and the cost here in Vt is simply shocking. A more comprehensive and better quality coverage plan for myself and spouse could be had for less than half in Virginia just for example. Needless to say we are very seriously organizing a plan B for a future move because sadly the affordability agenda does not have a prayer of providing relief. I will miss many aspects of being in Vt, but visiting is always possible.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:49 PM

122 posts, read 458,507 times
Leedspaddy~I guess my only question is: why are you still here? All you have to say about this state is soooo horrible~you must know there are two well-traveled interstates out of here...and many not-so-well-traveled roads...

I'm really just curious.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTeratheart View Post
Leedspaddy~I guess my only question is: why are you still here? All you have to say about this state is soooo horrible~you must know there are two well-traveled interstates out of here...and many not-so-well-traveled roads...

I'm really just curious.
VTeratheart................I will be gone the second I sell my house and I'll never look back either. I jumped all the way from the UK to America and it was a great success for me so I never expected our move from PA to VT to be a disaster. Oh well I'll put it down to experience but while I am still here in this backward state i will continue to do my best to persuade people not to come here to live unless they are retired, have a huge wallet and are in good health.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:46 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,969 times
Leedspaddy,
did you see my other post in the "Winter" thread ?
Your situation sounds exactly like mine........
I was wondering where in PA you came from ?
I lived all over but it was flipping a few houses in the SE/PA
and Lanco area that got us the funds to move here and sustain life
while our bank account dwindles .

Old 04-03-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Leedspaddy,
did you see my other post in the "Winter" thread ?
Your situation sounds exactly like mine........
I was wondering where in PA you came from ?
I lived all over but it was flipping a few houses in the SE/PA
and Lanco area that got us the funds to move here and sustain life
while our bank account dwindles .
Which winter thread are you talking about? We were living in a place called Stewartstown in York County about 50 miles south of Harrisburg. So are looking to leave and if yes where are you looking to move to? Finally what planet were you living on when you made the awful decision to come here? I definitely had my head in the sand when I made the decision to uproot and come this state. The sad thing is, VT is a beautiful state but unless it changes its way, the only people who will be able to live here will be the wealthy and the retired. VT's young people are leaving in droves and I don't blame them because there is nothing here worth keeping them unless they enjoy following the slow bleeding path into poverty..............I'm sorry apart from the beauty of VT, I have absolutely nothing positive to say about this state. I have lived in and visited a lot states in this country and I would put VT firmly at the bottom of everything but soon it will be at the top of the highest tax state in the nation per capita

Old 04-03-2007, 03:59 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,476,397 times
LOL funny you say that. Our kids PCP is a X- VT doctor. He was saying the same thing. He took his practice away from VT due to the Very hight taxes and the Mindset of the doctors there. He is the third doctor to say this. MY PCP and My better half's OBGYN Just moved to NH from VT as well due to Taxes being way to high and she wasn't able to pay off student loans and insurance after taxes. They all said the state pays very low for the state child doctor care program they have ( Dr. Dinosaur ? ) The kids PCP actually told us there is a group of doctors that help Good doctors get out of VT and into better practices. Don't get me wrong I'm sure VT has good doctors they are just far and few between. Most of the better ones leave as they are the most desired in other states.WITH LOWER TAXES.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:59 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedspaddy View Post
So are looking to leave and if yes where are you looking to move to? Finally what planet were you living on when you made the awful decision to come here? I definitely had my head in the sand when I made the decision to uproot and come this state.
Agree with everything you say !
We moved here because of the bad development explosion
in SEPA that forced us from a few different living situations.
When we suffered it in Amish country, we said enuffs enuff and
moved here. We did some research...Visted a few places etc..
Did homework but obviously not the right kind. We were set on
Montpelier or North Country above Burlington but Rutland offered
my wife a much better contract for her job so we took a chance.
Our house will be up for sale in 3 weeks after a dewintering cleanup
and we will be gone in June when afformentioned contract expires.
The VT. experience has been the absolute worst one I have ever had.
I constantly ask myself how I could have been soooooo wrong
about something !! The job situation is insufferable but little things
like not being able to connect with VT'ers on anything but the most
basic level and not having easy access to any culture are what really
make it bad for us. Ive spent time/lived in many places and never had
these wacky problems anywhere but here.
Ill end it here so as not to offend the VT'ers who post here, but I
am counting the minutes until we are paroled from this penitentiary.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:39 PM

48 posts, read 162,682 times
I thought I might interject here, leedspaddy. Perhaps I am the exception to what you've experienced here in Vermont. I am a working woman, not rich by any means. I am single and self-supporting. At times I find it hard to support myself here but I think that's due primarily to the fact that the business I work in is very seasonal.

I think there are alot of other places where I could live that it would be much more difficult for me to survive. Perhaps it is easier for me due to the fact that I built my house fairly cheaply (although it's small for sure)12 years ago and the mortgage remains very reasonable.

I came here from the Boston area to live full time 10 years ago. I can't imagine that I could have stayed in that area and continue to afford it alone.

I'm sorry that your experience in Vermont has been so negitive for you.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleobarker View Post
I thought I might interject here, leedspaddy. Perhaps I am the exception to what you've experienced here in Vermont. I am a working woman, not rich by any means. I am single and self-supporting. At times I find it hard to support myself here but I think that's due primarily to the fact that the business I work in is very seasonal.

I think there are alot of other places where I could live that it would be much more difficult for me to survive. Perhaps it is easier for me due to the fact that I built my house fairly cheaply (although it's small for sure)12 years ago and the mortgage remains very reasonable.

I came here from the Boston area to live full time 10 years ago. I can't imagine that I could have stayed in that area and continue to afford it alone.

I'm sorry that your experience in Vermont has been so negitive for you.
Yes I have been very negative towards VT and aside from all the problems my wife and I have experienced, I think the culture here is shockingly isolationist which doesn't help someone to settle here easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont