Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:22 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,272,083 times

Advertisements

Since the board has been slow lately, thought we could spice it up a bit
The big box/national retailer vs. local business aside...what national/retail chain store would you like to see in VT. OR, if you would not like to see any more national retailers here, lets play pretend - if one were forced to come here (like that would ever happen LOL!) which would you choose?
My choices would be (assuming they would be in Greater Burlington in my case).
Target: (don't like Wal-Mart, but like to be able to go to one spot and get what I need sometimes)
Whole Foods: (don't like the local natural foods markets in greater Burlington, except for Natural Provisions).
Crate & Barrell: Love the store. Local competition would be Homport, which is also a great store.
Panera Bread: Can't find a good quality, funky sandwich like I can get at Panera. I may not be looking in the right places .
We shall see. Time will tell, and in Vermont, that could mean years . Heck, it took Lowe's in South Burlington 8 years to get their permits!

OH-Forgot one. I'd like to see a BJs Wholesale Club on the south/east side of Burlington. Costco is here, but it's way on the other side of town for me. Selfish, I know

Old 05-21-2008, 08:16 PM

116 posts, read 455,950 times
Default bring Target!!!

there has got to be a Target!! anyone knows why there isn't one here or around here? (and no where in canada either)how can we petition to get one here?!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:26 PM

894 posts, read 1,559,498 times
The bigger question is how many national retailers will bother to fight the fight to open in VT?

PS Nearest Target that I know of is in Hooksett NH, pretty far from Burlington, unless you're going to Boston anyway.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:50 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
I live on the border of Lebanon, NH so I can get Walmart/Panera/whatever then go back in 10 minutes to Vermont....

I'd like to see Target, myself. It's a bit higher end than Walmart but I liked it.

Where we live in VT there is *nothing* apart from tourist traps & ye old local (expensive) general store.

I simply cannot envision being plunked in the middle of VT with only 'local' stores to choose from. (financially I could not afford it, I mean.)

Old 05-22-2008, 05:06 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,035,845 times
No big box stores. If I had my way, none would exist anywhere.

Gypsy, do you see how you have been brainwashed by advertising? Locally owned retail stores aren't tourist traps. They are local retail businesses.

Local businesses provide character and variety. They are what make places nice. Chain stores destroy the character of a place.

If you really want to order some product, the internet is always there.

If I had to insist on a chain store, Tiffany's would be cool.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:30 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,540 times
I'm leavling Lilybeans' quote below because I agree with every line of it -- except I deleted the Tiffany's part because I have no interest in jewelry. I can't even think of a chain I'd want to patronize over a local store.

However, last night we had an amazing experience with the Borders in Burlington. My cousin Andrea is on a national/Canada tour for her recently-published book and she read at Borders on Church Street last night. Andrea had a great audience and Borders staff was so present and giving. They made sure Andrea had everything she needed and behaved liked they owned the store and had a stake in everyone's response to it. Andrea and I both told the staff that we take back everything we've said about the corporate hell of Borders, and while we still prefer independent bookstores, we will recommend this Borders far and wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
No big box stores. If I had my way, none would exist anywhere.

Gypsy, do you see how you have been brainwashed by advertising? Locally owned retail stores aren't tourist traps. They are local retail businesses.

Local businesses provide character and variety. They are what make places nice. Chain stores destroy the character of a place.

If you really want to order some product, the internet is always there.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:35 AM

894 posts, read 1,559,498 times
I think some VT'ers may have been brainwashed about things like efficiency of scale and that trade and specialization haven't advanced mankind. If you want to pay more for the same crap at a small store go right ahead but let everyone else have the choice. And you're kidding your self if you think employees in small stores have a better compensation package/oppertunities than employees at a big box store. Question why does Target get a free pass from the anti box store people? Target's business model is the same as walmart just with better lighting and some slightly higher end products(and prices). Perhaps it's brainwashing? The Nation et al don't write hateful articles about Target so it's OK to shop there.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I can't even think of a chain I'd want to patronize over a local store.
I take it back. If we had a Trader Joe's, there are a few items I'd probably buy there.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:42 AM

214 posts, read 1,005,556 times
Apple Store!

Old 05-22-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
If you want to pay more for the same crap at a small store go right ahead but let everyone else have the choice.
This isn't even true. For example, not only do we pay the same or less for our food at the Rutland Co-op, but they have items we can't even get at chain stores such as a bounty of locally-grown produce and a huge array of bulk items, as many of which as possible are sourced regionally (chain stores have a smaller & globally-sourced selection).

Also, the benefits of shopping at the Co-op extend beyond price. It's a gathering place where we see friends and neighbors, sip a cup of tea together, and get involved with events and the work there. We all "co-own" the Co-op, which provides strong community "glue." I've never known a chain store, regardless of low prices or employee benefits, to offer all that.

Money spent on local businesses stays local at far higher percentages than at chain stores. Check out Local First Vermont for empirical, factual reasons that local businesses help create better communities. Especially see this piece, "Why Local First?" Here is just one of the studies cited:

"The money spent at local businesses has far-reaching effects. Several studies have shown that money spent at a locally owned business stays in the local economy and continues to strengthen the economic base of the community. A 2002 case study in Austin, Texas showed that for every $100 in consumer spending at a national bookstore in Austin, Texas the local economic impact was only $13. The same amount spent at locally based bookstores yielded $45, having more than three times the economic impact. Click here for the full study."

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 05-22-2008 at 07:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont