Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

My son is moving to Vermont to work at a resort for the winter ski season.

I'm wondering what are your must-haves. Any favorite items, brands or materials that you find are particularly superior?

How many of everything does a person need for day-to-day living in the cold----on and off the slopes?

I'm thinking at least 3 sets of a base layer---longer underwear in anything but cotton, right? But 5 to 7 sets would be preferable.

Superior products you consider to be bargains would be great. But also stuff so awesome you consider it worth every penny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 12:02 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
Wool base layers... Ibex and smart wool make good stuff. Darn Tough wool socks or anything else wool. It is not cheap. You don't have to wash it very often!!!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:14 PM

Love smartwool! I had no idea they made long underwear too! Thanks!

Just looked up Darn Tough. The prices aren't bad.

Do you use sock and glove liners too? If so, what fabric? Silk?

Is fleece your favorite mid layer?

Old 10-29-2011, 12:20 PM

Just noticed that Smartwool even makes wool briefs! I never thought about underwear needing to not be cotton! Is that necessary or overkill?

Smartwool Men's Microweight Brief, 91083 | Men's Underwear & Briefs | Men | CLOTHING | items from Campmor.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:23 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Cotton quite literally kills when you get wet and cold.

Wool clothes are nice. I like having a fur "bomber" type hat, the ear flaps are nice to have when it's cold. More often than not I wear a cheap rabbit fur one, but when it gets below zero the beaver fur comes out (beaver's almost too warm above zero).

Old 10-31-2011, 07:45 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,768 times
Performance base layers, a balclava, heat packs for feet and hands. Stop the wind and keep your extremities warm and half the bvattle is won!

Old 10-31-2011, 09:26 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Wool base layers... Ibex and smart wool make good stuff. Darn Tough wool socks or anything else wool. It is not cheap. You don't have to wash it very often!!!
BINGO !!!!!

Darn Tough are great soxks, better than any of my smart wools; Ibex base alyers are worth it, damn fine stuff.

This is good advice.

Also, a good waterproof shell.....not water resistant, water proof. This is worth the money. You can layer under that.

Oh and spend the $ on quality footware, cold wet feet suck, that makes all the difference in the world.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:54 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,276 times
I just discovered sierra trading post and bought 12 pairs of smartwool socks for 5.25 a piece!(womens sizes also fit men in bigger sizes) Not the most neutral colors but versus $12-$15 a pair???? Layers, Layers, Layers! And I might not look that cute shovellng snow in shorts and a fleece but I've got big clunker Sorel boots... Wait that looks even worse but never mind it being 20 below I'm warm without a coat. If your feet are warm/dry i think the entire person is. And that is the opinion of A native Texan that once "froze" at 65 degrees.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:13 PM

59 posts, read 113,017 times
Depends on what he is doing for work. I have been a ski instructor and mountain search & rescuer. Good clothing is essential when out in cold temperatures.

Wool is great for warmth but not always comfort. He should have wicking layers (base) if he will be doing any physical work. It pulls moisture (sweat) away from the skin but still keeps you warm. Anything polypro for warmth. Yes, liners are good for the bitter cold. I wouldn't recommend silk. It is not thick enough to do much when outdoors for long periods. Fleece is great but can be bulky. Select the thinner yet insulated type. Powerstretch is good. Windstopper is awesome (but expensive) And outer layers of different weights for different temperatures and a waterproof set for the inevitable thaw and rain we get mid- & late-season.

5-7 sets? WOW! If he won't be doing laundry all week sure. Otherwise 3 or 4 sets will be plenty. He can rotate them during the week.

If he will be outdoors for long periods of time doing physical work, cotton is a big no no even (especially) for undies. (Arctichomesteader said it right, Cotton kills.) It gets wet and stays wet drawing body heat away from the core....very dangerous! Wool is great for warmth and also will keep you warm even if it gets wet....but it is heavy and itchy so you don't want to wear it next to the skin. Synthetic fabrics are the best for outdoors.

Campmor is a great source of most popular brands at discount prices. What town will he be in? Any good outdoor store will be able to help outfit him. Is there an EMS or REI where he lives?

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My son is moving to Vermont to work at a resort for the winter ski season.

I'm wondering what are your must-haves. Any favorite items, brands or materials that you find are particularly superior?

How many of everything does a person need for day-to-day living in the cold----on and off the slopes?

I'm thinking at least 3 sets of a base layer---longer underwear in anything but cotton, right? But 5 to 7 sets would be preferable.

Superior products you consider to be bargains would be great. But also stuff so awesome you consider it worth every penny.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:43 PM

You guys are GREAT! Yes, he will be outside as a ski instructor. He'll be working in the southwestern side of the state. I forget the name of the town.

The closest EMS store is 167 miles away from us, but I just discovered we have two REI stores nearby! Aside from that we just have a couple independent ski stores and Gander Mountain, not sure if that qualifies since it's more similar to a Dicks.

I think I'll get a little bit of everything---wool and synthetics. After he gets up there and figures out what works best for him, I can send him more supplies of what works. And he can shop in Vermont too. I saw lots of stores while we were there a few weeks ago. I just figured that prices would be cheaper here since I'm assuming stores at and around resorts might be overpriced.

In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont