Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 02:57 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,672,707 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting point brought up by Skillup in his wonderful review of the new update for The Division:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zj9yiJ-DzQ

Ubisoft catches a lot of flack, rightfully so, for releasing AAA with a lot of bugs, many game-breaking bugs, early on. But recently they've shown dedication to those titles by releasing ambitious updates, often free of charge, to prove they are in it for the long haul, rather than jumping to a next installment which could net another US$60+ from players. So far they've completely turned around Rainbow Siege and The Division with new, free content on "old" games, and are showing dedication to Ghost Recon and even For Honor for the forseeable future.
Contrast this to studios which demand paid DLC every few months to stay current (Bungie), randomized lootboxes (cosmetic or not) which cross the line into gambling/addiction as cash grabs (EA, Bungie), or "free" updates that demand countless hours and a bit of luck to obtain rewards with the intention of frustrating you to the point you go the microtransaction route (Rockstar).
They have a bad rep, which they have earned, but if they continue to support their online titles for the long haul while making paid content strictly optional, Ubisoft could grow to be my favorite gaming studio after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 04:40 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,734,577 times
As someone who bought the Division on release, played a bit and abandoned it, only to buy the season pass and return to playing it later, after the changes, I can agree with the assessment. They really do polish their turds Seriously though, as good as the game is now, it really was frustrating at release. They changed and fixed a lot and kudos to them for that, most other companies wouldn't bother.
The biggest problem I have with Ubi is that they don't really deliver what they promise. Do you remember the initial gameplay video of the Division ? With an amazing UI, player controlled drones (that could be controlled via an app on a tablet/phone, supposedly), better graphics etc.. and then they delivered a game stripped of many of the features it was supposed to include, with a mediocre story at best, and a broken multiplayer that needs a ton of fixes.
It was very similar with Watch Dogs - what we got was rather different from what we were promised.
I don't know if this is sloppy work or a calculated step, but I'm not ok with an approach like this. I treat ubisoft games on release as if they were "early access" games. Which means, I don't buy them until they're finished. Which usually takes at least 6 months of patches and fixes

I've been thinking about getting Ghost Recon for a while, it seems like the division, but in the country, with vehicles, which sounds quite appealing. Still, right now the game + season pass is a bit too expensive, especially since I have plenty of games to play and things to do, so I don't mind waiting a bit.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:00 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,969,784 times
I have kind of given up on Ubisoft for the time being as almost all games I have gotten since AC3 have been buggy, broken, or just overall meh. I don't want to call it a boycott because that is for other reasons, but for now I have given up on Ubisoft until they can start making good games that aren't a mess again.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:20 AM
Yac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
I have kind of given up on Ubisoft for the time being as almost all games I have gotten since AC3 have been buggy, broken, or just overall meh. I don't want to call it a boycott because that is for other reasons, but for now I have given up on Ubisoft until they can start making good games that aren't a mess again.
They are making good games, only these games get good 6-12 months after they come out The trick is to wait until they fix the beta they release as a completed game
AC: Black Flag, the best AC game imo and still very fun to play, is currently free on uplay - so assuming you have a PC, I suggest you give it a try.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:29 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,026,935 times
Quote:
That's because AC is terrible.

I stopped playing after the first couple, which were great. But I realized they were just re-skinning everything and pumping them out.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
They are making good games, only these games get good 6-12 months after they come out The trick is to wait until they fix the beta they release as a completed game
AC: Black Flag, the best AC game imo and still very fun to play, is currently free on uplay - so assuming you have a PC, I suggest you give it a try.
AC3 really killed the series for me, I have no desire to play any of them any more, not after that mess, not after spending $60 a month after release just to have it be very broken.

As for other games from them. Watch_Dogs 2 was meh at best, Far Cry 3 still crashes on me, Far Cry 4 is okay, Ghost Recon Wildlands bored me. Like I said, I won't use the term boycott because that's not really accurate to what I want this to be, I just want to wait it out and hopefully they learn a smidge and start releasing good games again.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:06 AM
Yac

Quote:
AC3 really killed the series for me, I have no desire to play any of them any more, not after that mess, not after spending $60 a month after release just to have it be very broken.

As for other games from them. Watch_Dogs 2 was meh at best, Far Cry 3 still crashes on me, Far Cry 4 is okay, Ghost Recon Wildlands bored me. Like I said, I won't use the term boycott because that's not really accurate to what I want this to be, I just want to wait it out and hopefully they learn a smidge and start releasing good games again.
What was wrong with AC3 ? I have it too, I don't think I had a single serious technical issue with it, the game could have been better in many areas, sure, but for me at least it wasn't broken. And it introduced sailing, arguably the best thing in the whole series, that later on became one of the basic mechanics of the best game in the series - Black Flag.

Similarly, I had no issues with far cry 3. fc 4 was boring, Ghost Recon Wildlands is supposed to get "the Division treatment" soon (the division was boring and repetitive too, until they introduced some groundbreaking changes, and it's a lot better now). I have the first Watch Dogs game (they were giving it away for free) but have yet to play it.

I'm no Ubisoft fanboy, I dislike a lot in their games - these "open worlds" are most of the time filled with pointless collectibles that only extend gameplay without offering much in return, for example. The plots are often stupid. What they promise often doesn't match what they deliver (the Division and watch dogs come to mind).
But I can't say games like Black Flag or Far Cry 3 were not fun, despite their flaws.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
What was wrong with AC3 ? I have it too, I don't think I had a single serious technical issue with it, the game could have been better in many areas, sure, but for me at least it wasn't broken. And it introduced sailing, arguably the best thing in the whole series, that later on became one of the basic mechanics of the best game in the series - Black Flag.

Similarly, I had no issues with far cry 3. fc 4 was boring, Ghost Recon Wildlands is supposed to get "the Division treatment" soon (the division was boring and repetitive too, until they introduced some groundbreaking changes, and it's a lot better now). I have the first Watch Dogs game (they were giving it away for free) but have yet to play it.

I'm no Ubisoft fanboy, I dislike a lot in their games - these "open worlds" are most of the time filled with pointless collectibles that only extend gameplay without offering much in return, for example. The plots are often stupid. What they promise often doesn't match what they deliver (the Division and watch dogs come to mind).
But I can't say games like Black Flag or Far Cry 3 were not fun, despite their flaws.
The two biggest problems I had in AC3 were a design choice of putting the counter action on the same button as "pick up weapon" and giving priority to "pick up weapon" because of trying to streamline controls for console, and the fact that the market system was straight up broken when I played. It took me 10 minutes to get out of the market tutorial because it refused to accept any mouse or keyboard inputs. Then thinking it was a one time bug, I tried to go into it again a few hours later to mess around in it and had to alt F4 the game because it would not accept inputs again.

Far Cry 3 would be a great game, if it didn't crash every 15 minutes, I was able to play through it once before with no issues and had a great time, but I attempted to pick it back up again and after about 15 minutes of play it just crashes for no reason without fail.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:11 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,403,880 times
Rainbow Six Siege, great game....I’m glad the developers stay dedicated!

Old 01-16-2018, 02:26 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,504,881 times
I think it depends on the game. AC Unity was very buggy at launch but the newest one Origins has been running quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games