Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:59 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,736,395 times

Advertisements

Played them both. I don't play video games anymore, but I played both of these in my youth. Every once in awhile I reminisce a bit and look up videos on YouTube of random stuff. In this case videos of...video games; and I like reading the comments. Seems like many people say Chrono Trigger is better. I played Chrono Trigger the way through about one time. Played FF3 more times than I can remember.

Why are these two always compared so closely? Final Fantasy III (Final Fantasy VI was Japanese release) beats the pants off Chrono Trigger. It's not even close. Chrono Trigger is a very good, fun game. It's just not in the league of Final Fantasy III, and that's because FF3 is the greatest game of all time: depth of character, character development, story, best villain, light and dark worlds, a plethora of side quests, and some of the greatest music of any video game, ever. They both came out for SNES. The only contender to FF3 is Final Fantasy VII for the Sony PlayStation. I digress.

I am biased, and thought you should know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:21 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,702,126 times
You and I are likely near the same age. So, naturally we can both be nostalgic about games from our youth - these in particular.

Both games were epic. Both were "mainstream hits." Being produced by Square was a big deal since they were known for excellent RPGs even back then. FF3 stuck with the classic "good guys on the right side, bad guys on the left" and then added in special abilities for each character (Sabin's Street-Fighter-Like Blitz command for instance). It was a good gimmick.

Chrono Trigger really hit gold with its time travel story line and how each era was interwoven with other ones.

The thing that I think really made both of those games a hit was how the game became nonlinear later in the game.

FF3: Once Kefka remakes the map, you are free to do whatever you want. You can beat the game with 3 characters. You can beat the game with all of them. There are lots of sidequests to do to gear up your characters.

CT: Once Crono is "lost," you are free to use the time machine to go where/when you want. There is the surprise that you can get Magus in your group, and if you choose not to, you get a pretty epic one-on-one with one of the best villains in 1990s gaming. Even better, there are something like 10(?) different endings to the game. Some of them fairly challenging to pull off.

I've played both of those games countless times. I personally have a soft spot for FF1 and my wife rolls her eyes every time I break out the NES to play it. I also agree with you about FF7. That game was amazing since it was the first Square RPG on the PS and it really was something else. While I've played pretty much all the FF games, for me, VII was where the "magic ended." The other ones are still good, but maybe we just connect better with the games we played when we were younger.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:32 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,920,061 times
I never played Chrono but Final Fantasy 6 is one of my all time favorite games and is a good example of a game that has aged extremely well even today. Kefka is still one of the best villains ever and the whole game [especially the second half] was enjoyable and had lots of replay value to it. I have the GBA version now which is even better.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:14 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,653 times
Chrono Trigger's battle system is almost timeless. It's a lot more fun than the turn based battles and random encounters in VI.

Immersion-wise and story VI wins for sure, but I think "fun" goes to CT.

Just throwing it out there...VII, Xenogears and Suikoden round-out my top 5.

But really I think the 2 games (and the rest) are brilliant.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
FF3: Once Kefka remakes the map, you are free to do whatever you want. You can beat the game with 3 characters. You can beat the game with all of them. There are lots of sidequests to do to gear up your characters.
My favorite was trying to fight the Brachiosaur in the Dino Forest to level up and get the economizer relic. I must have spent countless hours there leveling up, and often times getting annihilated by the Brachiosaur's Ultima.

Quote:
I've played both of those games countless times. I personally have a soft spot for FF1 and my wife rolls her eyes every time I break out the NES to play it. I also agree with you about FF7. That game was amazing since it was the first Square RPG on the PS and it really was something else. While I've played pretty much all the FF games, for me, VII was where the "magic ended." The other ones are still good, but maybe we just connect better with the games we played when we were younger.
FFX wasn't as "magical" as VI or VII, but it was the last good one for me. It has its critics though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I never played Chrono but Final Fantasy 6 is one of my all time favorite games and is a good example of a game that has aged extremely well even today. Kefka is still one of the best villains ever and the whole game [especially the second half] was enjoyable and had lots of replay value to it. I have the GBA version now which is even better.
It's the best game of all time . I always liked the SNES graphics and the "look" of the games, especially the colors. That's the good thing about the GBA, it's like a SNES in the palm of your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Chrono Trigger's battle system is almost timeless. It's a lot more fun than the turn based battles and random encounters in VI.

Immersion-wise and story VI wins for sure, but I think "fun" goes to CT.

Just throwing it out there...VII, Xenogears and Suikoden round-out my top 5.

But really I think the 2 games (and the rest) are brilliant.
Well, I am a big fan of the turn-based systems and I think that's why I, and many others, loved the Final Fantasy series.

Also mentions:

- Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals. This is my second favorite SNES RPG. Great graphics, music, battle system and puzzles.

- Breath of Fire II. A fairly standard-fare RPG, but better than most.

- Brainlord. Not epic, but it was different and fun. Terrible ending though.

- Phantasy Star IV for the Sega Genesis. I believe this game also had a time travel element to it.

Xenogears I played but I remember it being a really long game and I didn't finish it all the way through.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:05 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,365 times
It would have to be Chrono Trigger for me, but FF6 is a very, very close second. I'll admit it: I cried the first time I saw the opera scene. But Chrono Trigger's battle system and time travel-based plot sealed the deal for me. I just love doing some ultra-powerful triple tech on some defenseless mook. Ah, so satisfying.

I also loved Final Fantasy X, even with the sometimes terrible voice acting. It was a good game; very fun to play. I still have nightmares about Catcher Chocobo though, ugh. FFXII was also excellent. It was like a combination of Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story, which are themselves excellent games.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
My favorite was trying to fight the Brachiosaur in the Dino Forest to level up and get the economizer relic. I must have spent countless hours there leveling up, and often times getting annihilated by the Brachiosaur's Ultima.
I honestly don't think I have ever defeated a Brachiosaur in FFVI before, at least the legit way [Not using Vanish/X-Zone]. It's probably the toughest enemy in the game, perhaps even more so then Kefka. Of course, in the GBA version, the Kaiser Dragon is easily the hardest.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I honestly don't think I have ever defeated a Brachiosaur in FFVI before, at least the legit way [Not using Vanish/X-Zone]. It's probably the toughest enemy in the game, perhaps even more so then Kefka. Of course, in the GBA version, the Kaiser Dragon is easily the hardest.
I would always get my crew to level 99 several different times I played it. I think if you are around level 45 or so and have Life 2 or 3 (the one that revives you when you die), you can beat it. Or there is a powerful relic that will revive you?You will need that to defend against its Ultima attack. Also the economizer is helpful as well as Genji glove, etc. If I remember correctly you only get one other economizer in the game, so you have to beat the Brachiosaur enough times if you want each player to have one.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
I would always get my crew to level 99 several different times I played it. I think if you are around level 45 or so and have Life 2 or 3 (the one that revives you when you die), you can beat it. Or there is a powerful relic that will revive you?You will need that to defend against its Ultima attack. Also the economizer is helpful as well as Genji glove, etc. If I remember correctly you only get one other economizer in the game, so you have to beat the Brachiosaur enough times if you want each player to have one.
The monster actually has quite a high magic evasion rate too [like 30%]. I use to try using Quick with that one relic that lets you cast 2 spells at once, and Ice3 would miss sometimes. I use to just Vanish/X-Zone them. Of course, I pretty much cheated. You can't do this in the GBA version though, thank god.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:17 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
It's like comparing fine wines, good cigars, or cheeses. I'm not about to say one is better than another one. They are both classics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games