Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 08:33 AM

163 posts, read 138,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Dead or Alive Xtreme 3, the voyeuristic beach volleyball game, will not be released in the US or Europe due to its publisher's apparent concerns over how Western audiences will respond to its depictions of women.

The game, which features a sun-tanning system and options to dress its full-figured characters in various costumes, is currently set for launch in Japan on PS Vita and PlayStation 4 in February 2016.

Responding to questions from fans on Facebook, a representative for publisher Koei Tecmo wrote: “We do not bring DOAX3 to the west and won't have any plan change in the future.”

Following more questions from fans regarding its decision, the company went on to explain: “Do you know many issues happening in video game industry with regard to how to treat female in video game industry? We do not want to talk those things here. But certainly we have gone through in last year or two to come to our decision."

It is not clear if any other factors, such as sales expectations and distribution costs, had also influenced Koei Tecmo's decision.

The publisher’s choice to scrap global launch plans for its game highlights conflicts between the issues of censorship and sexism in games.

Changes in attitudes towards the depiction of women in games has created a public debate between those who want a more noticeable gender equality, and those who feel such changes are detrimental or unnecessary.

Disagreements over the complex issue have sometimes become so envenomed that they have sparked instances of domestic terrorism. In September 2014, it was revealed that organisers for a games developer awards show were told a bomb would be detonated at the event if the divisive feminist Anita Sarkeesian would pick up her award.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dea.../1100-6432590/

I find this very troubling. Instead of just telling those who don't like it just don't buy the game they decide to just not release it in the west thanks to SJWs and the like. I think this sets a very troubling precedent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 06:02 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
SO lame. This country is turning into one those parents of a friend you had as kid who totally sucked the fun out of EVERYTHING. Well, good luck with that The Coddled States of America.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:06 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
As if we're missing anything. What a stupid, insulting and degrading otaku fan-service POS of a game.

...If you really wanna play naughty virtual barbie dolls there is no shortage of choices, but you REALLY should use the time trying to talk to real girls instead.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:37 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,127,697 times
I understand your outrage, volleyball videogames are so popular because they're so fun and involved and losing this awesome title will be so harmful to the billions of fans of volleyball games.
They're definitely not an excuse to animate more bouncy boobs.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:30 PM

quote:
you REALLY should use the time trying to talk to real girls instead.

you REALLY should stop dictacting things like that.

quote:
They're definitely not an excuse to animate more bouncy boobs.

I am gay-XY and find what you are saying to be a thousand percent disingenuous.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:39 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,127,697 times
quote:
They were definitely targeting a gay audience when they made that game so your reply to me makes a lot of sense.

quote:
If the game wasn't mostly about creating eye candy they wouldn't mind modifying the game for the western market. They have done it to korean games that were considered too revealing, and this was made for barely known titles that were expecting way less sales.
(Although to be honest, the game is problematic not just because of it's hyper-sexualized outfits.)

Last edited by Arigarisha; 11-26-2015 at 04:16 PM..

Old 11-26-2015, 05:10 PM

and I don't even know who this person is, but he's totally right

Old 11-26-2015, 08:53 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
Sounds like a disingenuous way to save face instead of admitting the game would flop in the US. Those games don't sell very well and the localization process has become much more expensive since the last installment, which flopped.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:02 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
you REALLY should use the time trying to talk to real girls instead.

you REALLY should stop dictacting things like that.
Sorry... me and my old-fashioned ways. It's just that I think of women as fellow human beings, not servile curvy pillows for jizzing on... which is exactly what entertainment products like DOA beach volleyball teach young impressionable males and gives Japan their generally false pervy reputation.

In other words, it's just fine that we aren't getting this game and the developers were correct for assuming it would not fly well here.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:58 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,641,413 times
I guess this explains why Japanese birth rates are at an all-time low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games