Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 11:18 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times

Advertisements

It's hard to get in brick and mortar stores ... went to a local BB yesterday and they said they had 150 PS4s that went in a couple of hours of store opening that day. They checked inventory and said only one BB store in the Bay Area still has some left.

Last edited by jaypee; 12-24-2013 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 11:48 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,093,900 times
Anybody who really follows console video gaming knew that the PS4 was going to be EXTREMELY popular given the fact that it represents far-and-away the best value in gaming. In fact, I'm somewhat surprised how ready available PS4's have been leading up to Christmas. I guess it just goes to show how serious Sony is about building a large installed userbase for the console.

If you're in to high-end console based video gaming then you simply must own a PS4. It's an incredible machine.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:11 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Anybody who really follows console video gaming knew that the PS4 was going to be EXTREMELY popular given the fact that it represents far-and-away the best value in gaming. In fact, I'm somewhat surprised how ready available PS4's have been leading up to Christmas. I guess it just goes to show how serious Sony is about building a large installed userbase for the console.

If you're in to high-end console based video gaming then you simply must own a PS4. It's an incredible machine.
The best value? $399 vs $499 for the XB1 with Kinect. Don't knock the Kinect till you try it... yes, the 360 Kinect was pretty bad. This version is MUCH improved.

If you have no use for the Kinect then by all means buy a PS4. I do find it useful... not only for when I am using the TV side of things (Xbox watch NFL Network, Xbox volume down, etc...) but it's also useful in games. The voice commands work really well and add a mix to your game... like when I'm playing Dead Rising 3 and talk. The zombies pick up your voice and react accordingly.

It's already been demonstrated that to get Xbox functionality you would actually spend more to add the peripherals to a PS4.

XB1 has the better launch lineup of games... there isn't a single PS4 exclusive game that I must have. On the other hand, XBI has KI, Dead Rising 3, and Forza 5. I also got the cross platform NBA 2k14. Beyond that, there isn't a single game ON EITHER PLATFORM that I am waiting on now... other than Elder Scrolls Online which won't be out till June. In the meantime these games should keep me entertained.

I don't know what I'd be doing if I bought a PS4... what game does it have that isn't on XB1?

This is the same song and dance that Sony spews on every new console release. I'm not buying it. The best value? I don't see it. I paid $100 more and got good value for it... and a better lineup of games.

What I find hilarious is the people who are still paying $600 for their PS4 on Ebay when consoles are available at retail price from numerous retailers... What kind of value are they getting for their extra $200? That's $100 more than I paid for my XB1... which was on the shelf at Gamestop... right next to a PS4.

I probably will buy a PS4 but not until there is an exclusive game that I want... (like MLB The Show on PS3) Until then I have no use for the system. I can't even buy one for Blue Ray capability because XB1 does that now too.

Last edited by Kees; 12-24-2013 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: ... fixed typos

Old 12-24-2013, 02:41 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post

I probably will buy a PS4 but not until there is an exclusive game that I want... (like MLB The Show on PS3) Until then I have no use for the system. I can't even buy one for Blue Ray capability because XB1 does that now too.
LOL Wow! The PS4 version looks night and day better than the PS3!

MLB 14 The Show Coming to PS4, PS3, PS Vita Spring 2014 – PlayStation.Blog

Looks like I'll be getting a PS4 in about 4 months. Sony should have a decent supply by then...

Old 12-25-2013, 11:05 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,839 times
6 months at the least. This is dejavu when the PS2 came out, I remember it was at least a good year before we started seeing them on shelves. Honestly unless you absolutely have to have the console, many must have titles won't start popping out until the spring. Many games on it now can be played with current gen consoles, though I can understand the desire to play Black Flag or Battlefield on new tech.

Though if I were you I'd do a road trip to some smaller out of the way towns. If you're in a big city, you probably wont get much out if it, it's gonna burn up gas but you might get lucky.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:36 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
6 months at the least. This is dejavu when the PS2 came out, I remember it was at least a good year before we started seeing them on shelves.
Ok, they may not be available on store shelves but they're available online ... BestBuy has a shipment:

Sony PS4 500GB Console 10034 - Best Buy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games