Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:00 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times

Advertisements

I don't wanna go too crazy but i do want something where i can play games at max setting.

How much money can you save by building your own? we have a Micro Center where i can buy parts so i wont have to shop online and pay for shipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 03:26 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
It's been about 5 years since I built my computer for about $600, ran the Total War games of that time (Napolean and Empire) just about on max with no slowdowns with the old duo core Wolfdale (which you can overclock all day without it breaking a sweat) and Radeon HD 4850. It wasn't all top of the line, just carefully chosen components that worked well together to get to that point where the laws of diminishing returns took over and you got less bang for your buck vs. more money you spend. I would say it had specs of a $1,000 or more store bought gaming computer easily.
Now of course it's showing it's age with all the quad core CPUs and I have no idea how much it would cost now to build your own. Remember the rules of diminishing returns however - for example you pay a premium for the latest video card or CPU out there, get the previous release video card and get almost the same quality for much less money.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:30 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,818 times
What I did was buy a computer online and just upgraded it. My next move is going to buy every single part and build an entirely new system. I have a lot in mind so mine is going to be adding up to quite a bit, but it should last for several years.

Anyways, I got lucky on this computer, it had decent specs but the website only wanted $350 for it. All I did was upgrade the graphics card and power supply. That's it. Runs modern games pretty flawlessly still.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:25 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,843,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
What I did was buy a computer online and just upgraded it. My next move is going to buy every single part and build an entirely new system. I have a lot in mind so mine is going to be adding up to quite a bit, but it should last for several years.

Anyways, I got lucky on this computer, it had decent specs but the website only wanted $350 for it. All I did was upgrade the graphics card and power supply. That's it. Runs modern games pretty flawlessly still.
I did the same thing recently, with advice from Quert actually (thanks again!). i5 processor based from Tiger Direct and upgraded power supply and graphics card. It runs Skyrim on Ultra with 50 or so mods active. Initially I did it with an i3 processor based pc which also ran it fine, but a few weeks later had a crash (unrelated) and upgraded to the i5 machine.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:06 AM

688 posts, read 897,681 times
If you don't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse and such, I'd say you could build one easily for about $700 and it will be good for about 6-8 years, most likely.

Do a lot of research and check comparisons. A good website for chip/video card output comparisons is passmark.com. To be honest, check a lot of custom PC builders' websites, too. A lot of them will build, test and ship a rig for not much more than if you just bought the parts yourself. When I was building my last gaming rig, I did a lot of research and having cyberpowerpc build, test and ship it cost me an extra $20 over if I were to buy all the parts myself from Microcenter and that way, I didn't have to worry about DOA parts. I am still using that rig and have had no issues with it whatsoever, aside from an SSD dying. That was my fault though, buying brand new tech. They've done a lot for the lifespan of SSDs since then.

I think Microcenter's prices have gotten a lot better since then, but it still doesn't hurt to look around.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:07 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,847,256 times
My husband has a few parts from Newegg and he likes Razor. Ill have to ask him his thoughts but those popped up because im sitting on the computer and I know those names.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:32 AM

702 posts, read 727,047 times
They'll start at 600 and go up. Check out Logical Increments - PC Buying Guide for your price point

Old 06-20-2014, 07:40 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
Most hardcore gamers will build their own custom computers, either by custom selecting the parts or ordering the parts and putting them together. I've pretty much outgrown computer gaming but the last gaming computer I had built in 2006 cost me about $700 without monitor and lasted until the end of 2013 due to hardware failure.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
I'm no expert on this stuff but i want to do a triple monitor setup, will i need a certain graphics card to do that or can most graphics cards today support a triple monitor setup?

and can you do this with all monitors or do you need a certain monitor?

this is the one i like
Monitors & Projectors - MX239H - ASUS

Old 06-20-2014, 10:26 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm no expert on this stuff but i want to do a triple monitor setup, will i need a certain graphics card to do that or can most graphics cards today support a triple monitor setup?

and can you do this with all monitors or do you need a certain monitor?

this is the one i like
Monitors & Projectors - MX239H - ASUS
You might need multiple graphics cards or a graphic card that has multiple ports. Unfortunately, most motherboards only have 1 video card port so the latter is probably your best best.. or getting a motherboard with a built-in video card and adding another card with 2+ ports.

You might also be able to find a graphic card that fits into the PCI ports but the quality won't be that great.. video cards have generally used their own dedicated ports since the late 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games