Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite video game genre?
Arcade 8 7.77%
Action 23 22.33%
Racing 16 15.53%
RPG 45 43.69%
MMORPG 14 13.59%
FPS 22 21.36%
TPS 4 3.88%
Strategy 31 30.10%
Adventure 25 24.27%
Other 22 21.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 09:59 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,518 times

Advertisements

I don't so much have a favorite genre, but ones I tend to avoid for one reason or another. Racing to me is boring unless it's arcady and/or something like Mario Kart. RTS games I stopped playing the day I decided to go online with Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 and had my ass handed to me in about 10 minutes, not so much a rage quit as, "Wow... I suck... badly... I don't think I wanna play anymore." I am cautious when it comes to point and click adventures due to the way a good many of them are, "mash this with the everything everywhere until it does stuff," though I did REALLY enjoy Book of Unwritten Tales.

Other than that, I play just about everything. GTA5, Stardew Valley, Shadow of Mordor, Starbound, Ark: Survival Evolved, Borderlands, Civilization 5. I've even been known to boot up Fishing Planet now and again, usually in the winter, we get our fishing licenses every year and I would rather have the full fishing experience if it's nice out, fishing games is for when it is too dang cold out. It all depends on the type of mood I am in, and if my wife wants to play something or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 12:24 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
If I have to choose one, I'd say RPG. I have, and it's been like that for years, basically every system i own at one point ends up with all the fallout games installed. Every single one (well, not counting that crappy ps2 "action rpg".. Brootherhood of Steel I think it was called).
Looking at what I have on my hd right now though, RPGs are there but there are just as many strategy games (4x <3) and war games of all kinds, from fps shooters to World of Tanks stuff.
I also have some racing games, quite a few adventure ones. And a handful of casual shooters/arcade games like BroForce (which I highly recommend if you like fast paced platformers with a ton of style and .. well, explosions and violence)
Generally I'd say I enjoy most genres as long as the games are good.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:37 PM

447 posts, read 652,117 times
i like fast paced competitive play

Old 12-09-2016, 09:13 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
I like RPG's but I've sort of lost patience for the ones where you have to control an entire party of dudes. That's one reason I always liked Neverwinter Nights and MMORPG's.

I've been really into an ARPG on Steam called Grim Dawn it's a great game.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:34 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Open world adventure games like GTA, Fallout 4, Just Cause 2.. fortunately that genre is alive and well.

I also like story driven FPS, which isn't doing so well... aside from them butchering them from poor porting from consoles, no longer having quicksave function, etc.. the storylines just aren't what they used to be compared to games like Half Life 2, Bioshock, FEAR, and the like.

I've been playing through postal 2 the last couple days which is a combination of story driven and open world though the story isn't that big a part of it.

I used to like RPG games but find I can't get myself into new ones these days... aside from them not being as good, I just don't have the time or patience. If I'm going to make a time investment, I'll replay Fallout 4 after going through the mod site and completely revamping the game with mods, considering I basically played it vanilla the first time around.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:29 PM

1,544 posts, read 925,071 times
Arcade and Fighting. Sometimes I'm in the mood for Puzzle Bobble; other times I'm in the mood for Street Fighter II or Marvel vs Capcom 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games