Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you play Pokemon Go, and is it gone?
Yes I played it, and I still do. 7 16.28%
Yes I played it, and No I don't play it any more. 9 20.93%
Never played it. 27 62.79%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 12:36 PM

270 posts, read 203,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It died a few weeks after it caught on.
Right they spent more time killing the third party tracking than actually adding tracking to the game itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 09:50 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
It only lasted like a month or two last year I remember going down to the waterfront in my city and people were just hanging around walking around with their head staring at their phone. Some of them were even clogging up the bike trail that's why I remember it somewhat vividly it was a little annoying.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:45 PM

99 posts, read 168,622 times
There are a couple of reasons the fad's spirit fainted out. For starters, the Pokemon franchise is still live and kicking to this very day, because whatever came into fruition didn't have many flaws at all if any. Pokemon Red/Blue were too successful to just let go for millions of reasons when it started back in the 90's. Please do keep in mind that this is the year 2017, and Pokemon is still a household name.

Secondly, Pokemon GO only stopped becoming a fad is because the developers of the game somewhat indirectly pulled the switch on the game. They didn't anticipate the game was going to crash servers, cause congestions on log-ins quotidian/everyday, and as like any MMO (massive multipalyer online) game you need to constantly add new in-game content to keep the game "fresh." Pokemon GO's Niantic delayed new updates [we wanted] (every 7 months - 12 months) by a huge variable that is unacceptable to our 2016-2017 youth (6 months max). I think a real life MMO type of game requires a more sped up process since IRL has actual human interaction. Also, when I mean new update, I meant the second generation of Pokemon. But, I personally believe the main flaw of the game was due to the server issues that caused people to be able to log-in, thus they probably quit the game for good. And the GPS location of Pokemon was in disarray. Rural players could not be able to catch as many Pokemon as their urban/metropolis counterparts, thus creating an indirect annexation for the have-and-have nots; as a result, rural players had to turn to Geo location( pretending to be somewhere else on the planet) spoofing on Googlemap's API. Niantic palyed fair and ignored this for awhile since they're nice people, but after awhile cease and desist measures were taken. I believe it was fair to crack down on map Superman teleporting, because it wasn't fair for actual players walking around to have a disadvantage. But, it was Niantic's fault to begin with -- because they didn't fix the rural Pokemon appearance problem to begin with after people started complaining about how few Pokemon appear in less traveled areas, etc. I am well aware that Pokemon appearance is based on how many phone signals are in any given area, but it also affected players from continuing to play the game if their domicile is located in hard to reach spots. Yes, waiting The average attention span for any given commercial is about 15 seconds now? (somewhere like that), and they were expecting us to see the whole entire minute hoping everyone stayed intact until the end!

Sadly, the fad fainted not due to the game itself, but the very developers not sacrificing enough resources to retain the player base.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:00 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Just started playing it recently. But got more into a game called Draconius Go which is basically a clone but with many added features. Including Quests, Spells, Wearable Character Buffs, Map Hunts, and the all important PvP.

Me and a friend have been making teams of new players so if anyone gives it a go then let me know as there is a code you can enter that would bring you and I rewards in game. And I can then mentor players on any questions they have.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:42 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
It only lasted like a month or two last year I remember going down to the waterfront in my city and people were just hanging around walking around with their head staring at their phone. Some of them were even clogging up the bike trail that's why I remember it somewhat vividly it was a little annoying.
I'm happy these phone apps die out quickly. I'm more of a "pay attention" type of guy though, but I'm not a perfect little angel though, I've had my "time in the dirt". When my phone because more important to me than other people, I cut my internet access on it and realized that it was severely impacting my life. Now I'm lucky to even play one game on mine, and I gotta be pretty damn bored for that to happen.

I don't know, I guess I saw the bigger picture involved when I saw my own addiction to it. People who have their face deep into their phones drive me crazy now, but I guess I see my former self in that person and glad to see that I'm the opposite. Plus, I'm not for the whole tracking-your-location and giving out sensitive details like that anymore since my tin foil hat is on fire and I'm a privacy advocate now.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:50 PM

1,517 posts, read 991,344 times
Quote:
yet I might see one Squirtle/Bulbasaur/Charmeleon a week. Never seen a Blastoise or Venusaur even at a gym. Maybe a Pikachu once a month. Have seen only one Seel outside of the water event. Four Sandshrews, one Grimer, one Shellder, but I've caught 402 Pidgeys and 319 Rattata. Seen only two Machop, never a Machoke/Machamp/Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan

When you're catching literally hundreds of trash for every Squirtle you see

I thought I was just on another bad trip. You mean I was really playing Pokemon?

I feel... violated.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:04 PM

89 posts, read 66,718 times
Pokemon is not my cup of tea to be honest. I just can care less about it. I walk in weird places a lot but not because I'm playing some lame overrated franchises games but because I'm looking for coins to pick up(that might be rare collectors coins worth good money.)

Old 04-15-2018, 11:50 AM

323 posts, read 222,239 times
Its not a fad for people who are honestly interested in Pokemon. I have a couple of friends who still play- simply because they enjoy it and are fans before that app was even invented! True fans don't just stop something because it stops being " cool"

Old 05-28-2018, 08:27 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
I started playing a week after it launched, and still play. It is pretty popular in my area of Chicago. Level 5 raids get 10-20 people showing up. EX raids get as many as well.

The Silph Road subreddit is VERY active though the subreddit for Chicago Pokemon Go is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games