Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 09:49 PM

853 posts, read 648,644 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Anyone have been playing games about American Civil War? I'm learning Scourge of War Gettysburg, seems to be a bit difficult and needs some time to understand how it works but I am loving it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 07:58 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,614 times
I play the Gettysburg game on Steam. It's nice!

Old 02-23-2017, 10:13 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
I have Ultimate General: Gettysburg. That is one tough AI even on easy with their latest patch. And I like that. Calls back to the classic Sid Meier's Gettysburg!

Old 02-24-2017, 01:46 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,614 times
Yeah, that's the game I'm playing. And to get a better understanding of the history of the battle, I bought the book, "The Battle of Gettysburg," by Bruce Catton, - on Amazon Kindle.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:25 PM

853 posts, read 648,644 times
You guys made my day. I have this game because I bought several months ago in Steam but I didn't realize how good is actually and I haven't played it yet. Is difficult to play? Is mainly about battles? I mean, I want to focus in strategy military aspects rather than economics, political, etc... The only drawback I see is that soldiers looks tiny but the gameplay as I saw in youtube is pretty amazing.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:19 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Yeah plenty of games...I'm a huge war strategy gamer. My list:

Scourge of War: Yeah I have that along with it's predecessor "Take Command 2nd Manassas". I played the heck out of Take Command, not too much from Scourge yet as I only got it a few months ago during a Matrix Gaming sale. I loved Take Command! It's important to realize that this more accurately described as a battle simulator of 19th century warfare other than a game. The complexity and vagueness of the interface is intentional. You can auto manage each battalion ("take command" of them, as it will) but it's really intended to command the leadership and tell your brigadeer's what to do...just like real life they may follow your commands, they may not, they may take their own initiative, they may delay, they may skedaddle after the first enemy volley. They have a really cool feature where you play from the general 1st person view (command from the saddle) where you only see what the general sees, and send out curiours to your leaders (and yes your curiours can get shot or intercepted or lost). Anyways I have the 150th anniversary edition which includes Chanchelorville, Antietam, Pipe Creek, and a few others...and the user community is still active and moding in other battles.

Ultimate General Gettysburg: I got this on steam a year or so ago. A very simple game with a simple and user friendly interface, not the complex simulation of SOW..but you know what? It works! I fire this up from time to time for a quick, no pressure, enjoyable battle. They creators of this game came out with a sequal "Ultimate General: Civil War" so you can play a number of different battles.

John Tiller's Battleground Civil War: I played the heck out of this in the late 90's, and Matrix Games came out with an updated version to match modern PCs...bought that and played the heck out of it again. This is turn based rather than real time. The interface is simple, right click left click. The great thing about this game is the precise research used in the game design - historically the Order of Battle is flawless, and the battlefield design map out each feature to exactness at that time - each railroad crossing, wagan trail, sunken road, shack, you name it. You can play Gettysburg at a select point in the battlefield (2nd day, 3rd day) or just a portion of the battlefield (Little Round Top, The Peach Orchird) and they have some what-if scenarios - what if Stuart's cavalry was not out of the picture? Find out. What if the rebels flanked to the right on the 3rd day rather than engage in the slaughter of Pickett's Charge? Find out. This game has 30+ scenarios on Gettysburg alone, but also includes Shiloh, Antietam, Manassas, and a few others. A multiplayer community for this game is still active I am told.

But the above are all tactical game, you also have overall strategy games to choose from including my favorite although I haven't played it in years: "Forge of Freedom" also offered by Matrix Games. Somewhat complex as it covers politics, finances, order of battles and general selections....includes such details as what weapons to equip your army with? Draft riots and pissing off governers. Having France or Great Britian enter the war...etc. Water proof cartridges? Yeah I lost a major battle because of rain in one game because I did not distribute water proof catridges. Movement, supply, logistics, raiding, desease...it's all in the game....this has a national map where you handle military force movement but once you enter a battle it goes to a tactical map, like Total War series of games but be forewarned the graphics are very basic and even in tactical mode it stays as turn based. I really got into this game however about a decade ago, to the extent that I was posting AAR's in the Matrix forum and the creators contacted me to be a beta checker for future releases.

There are other strategic level games for civil war - Ageod's "Civil War 2" which I have never played (just can't get into Ageod's interface) but has gotten good reviews, Gary Grinsby's "War Between the States" (never played), a few others...

Total War Empire used to have a really good Civil War mod but last time I checked it out it was unstable. Too bad, I love the graphics of TW.

Last edited by Dd714; 03-08-2017 at 01:28 PM..

Old 03-08-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
You guys made my day. I have this game because I bought several months ago in Steam but I didn't realize how good is actually and I haven't played it yet. Is difficult to play? Is mainly about battles? I mean, I want to focus in strategy military aspects rather than economics, political, etc... The only drawback I see is that soldiers looks tiny but the gameplay as I saw in youtube is pretty amazing.
I didn't read your second post - It's important to understand what you need - strategy vs. tactics. A tactical game will only have one battle (like Gettysburg) or perhaps a campaign (Seige of Vicksburg).
Strategy will have the entire 4 years of the civil war that may include economics and politics and will just model-in actual battles without displaying them in detail (games like "Forge of Freedom which I talked about earlier, or Total War, do have tactical battles built in). However if you don't like the politics and economic aspects you can still get an "operational level" game that focuses on maneuver and logistics and command. That's actually the level I enjoy. The matrix games website describes Ageod's "Civil War 2" as operational level. That's probably your best bet if you can get used to the interface and confusing turn sequence (I couldn't).

Old 03-14-2017, 09:05 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
I used to play this back in the day

Rise up Dixie!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzG6hwb5l64

Old 03-21-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I used to play this back in the day

Rise up Dixie!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzG6hwb5l64
Ahh yeah....Civil War General II! An old classic. Still one of the best...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games