Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 10:47 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times

Advertisements

I've been a perfectionist for most of my gaming life by now. I'm not much of a completionist unless I'm interested in getting all the collectibles in a game. My perfectionism is a bit different. The vast majority of the games I play are shooters, both first person and third person.

I've recently been playing Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 and I've restarted the game around 20 times probably. Anytime I die or the game glitches, I get really really really upset and angry. I hate that crap because my immersion gets broken and I hate how it breaks my chain of events. Even though I have the option to restart the mission, I choose to restart the whole game.

I also hate missing a shot, but it doesn't cause me to restart the game. I hate when I miss because it will alert an enemy and then all enemies go and take cover, which is good AI but annoying because they stay hidden for so long and I'm just sitting there holding my d*ck until they come out two centuries later. Secondary weapons in this game are lame except for the shotguns and I'm stuck with only three health bars for the most part. Even on easy difficulty, enemies kill you fast.

I know it's irrational and it's causing me mental despair, but I can't help but get really pissed off if things don't go my way because games rarely go my way. I refuse to use aim assist to avoid missing because I didn't pay for the game to play itself for me. I'm afraid I won't beat the game for a while because of this stupid annoying quirk I have. My perfectionism has flared up really bad for this game for some reason, dunno why. I paid $65 for this game. I will beat it eventually. Eventually.

Anyone else suffer from this garbage first world problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 11:59 PM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
I'm no expert, but it sounds a bit like some form of OCD. You should be having fun playing games, not get frustrated. I don't know if anyone can help you deal with this here, I know it's not something common.
Also I'd avoid this game for now, from what I read it has a ton of glitches and more serious issues.. they will probably patch most out eventually, but as it is it seems more like an Alpha than a full release at this point. The devs should be ashamed of releasing such unfinished titles.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:57 AM

17,298 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Yeah that sounds like something you may want to talk to a therapist about.

Or, you are just reverting to vintage video game play style where there were in many cases no save points/lives/etc just one try to beat it all. Something some modern games are getting back into with Hardcore/Ironman/etc difficulties.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:20 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
No I know what you mean, I'm not OCD but I'm probably ADHD. And I play shooters on a very competitive level. I'm always striving to get better, to find that perfect shot, that perfect angel, and I get really salty when there's lag involved or I get outplayed. So I don't think you're alone, there's many of us out there. Just gotta keep telling myself "it's just a game" and try to relax and enjoy the games for their fun factor...

Old 05-05-2017, 12:48 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,845,572 times
I use to get angry at video games, but as I grew older I've found that games are there for fun. I'm in no way, shape, or form a perfectionist or even remotely close to a achievement hunter / completionist. I play the game and where ever my story leads me is just the way I go, right or wrong.. if I get a achievement, uh.. cool I guess, but I'm not latching on to getting anything like that. If I'm in Skyrim, Everquest, or any RPG with a bow and arrow.. missing is just part of the game and it's bound to happen. You learn from your mistakes, but I would never in my life imagine restarting an entire game just because I miss a single shot..

Old 05-06-2017, 01:46 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
I make a reasonable attempt to get secrets, collectibles etc but only on games that are a LOT of fun and even then I mostly just move on. I may watch a youtube video of how to do it or just to watch it done but needing to see 100% complete and all possible endings is no big deal to me.

But to get mad or restart because I miss one shot? No way.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:22 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I am actually OCD when it comes to video games myself, in that I have to search every corner of the map, every area and building. It's especially bad when I'm playing an 'open world' type of video game. I'll spend hours outside of the main/side missions just exploring every inch of the map. In a building, I have to search every floor, every nook and crannie, etc.

That's why whenever you have these gamers and reviewers estimate length of time it takes to complete the single player campaign, I add on about 10-15 hours on top of that lol.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:14 AM

A few people misread one of my sentences.

I'll post it here: I also hate missing a shot, but it doesn't cause me to restart the game.

Dying makes me restart.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I'm no expert, but it sounds a bit like some form of OCD. You should be having fun playing games, not get frustrated. I don't know if anyone can help you deal with this here, I know it's not something common.
Also I'd avoid this game for now, from what I read it has a ton of glitches and more serious issues.. they will probably patch most out eventually, but as it is it seems more like an Alpha than a full release at this point. The devs should be ashamed of releasing such unfinished titles.
I did this. I even deleted it from my hard drive in the mean time. I had to stop torturing myself.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:20 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I am actually OCD when it comes to video games myself, in that I have to search every corner of the map, every area and building. It's especially bad when I'm playing an 'open world' type of video game. I'll spend hours outside of the main/side missions just exploring every inch of the map. In a building, I have to search every floor, every nook and crannie, etc.

That's why whenever you have these gamers and reviewers estimate length of time it takes to complete the single player campaign, I add on about 10-15 hours on top of that lol.
I'm also like that. I'll be making my way to a quest marker when something from out of the corner of the screen catches my attention. Next thing you know, I'm spending the next hour or more searching that place and the surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games