Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 12:13 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I hate to ask this question in the photography forum, but if there is a VIDEO or MOVIE FORUM, I must have missed it. Mods, feel free to move this where ever it should be.

As part of my real estate business, I shoot still pictures and create short video/movies for uploading to my website, YouTube, etc. I've been using Windows Live Movie Maker for a couple of months, with OK results. However, this morning for no apparent reason, the file that I spent several hours working on became corrupt, and now I'm unable to open the file. Of courser this reminded me why I so seldom depend on Microsoft products but a Mac just isn't in my price range at this time.'

I'd be so grateful if any of you photographers could recommend software that would allow me to 'snip' video, add still pictures, titles & captions. And most of all, somewhat user friendly. I'm not a pro Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 05:33 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
I have been using Sony Vegas Pro for about 10 years... A bit expensive. They have Vegas Movie Studio which is reasonably priced. Vegas Product Family Overview . They have trial software you can try, it is not 100% functional, but if you do buy it, when you register it the trial demo becomes fully functional. You can shop around for best prices. I would not buy anything which I did not try on my system.

If Movie Maker caused problems I would be a bit concerned that something has gone wrong with my system.

There is a lot out there, I just have not been keeping up with it anymore...

There is no video forum here on City-Data...

Rich

Old 11-14-2011, 06:22 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
If i recall, roxio media creator does all that.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
If i recall, roxio media creator does all that.
I'm not up on the current status but if it's the same it was a few years ago it sucks.

I always recommend Video Studio Pro as it's the one I have had the most experience with.

Video Editing

Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
heres the top customer rated video editing software according to amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_i_...rank_authority

Old 11-15-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
heres the top customer rated video editing software according to amazon Amazon.com: roxio: Software
That list is bad. How do I know? Because I have the software which is the first listed on your list, "Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Ultimate". And that is not video editing software. Same goes for "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3" on the list, it is not video editing software.

Rich

Old 11-15-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I shoot still pictures and create short video/movies for uploading to my website, YouTube, etc.

I'd be so grateful if any of you photographers could recommend software that would allow me to 'snip' video, add still pictures, titles & captions. And most of all, somewhat user friendly. I'm not a pro Thanks so much!!
Well, there are programs available to "shoot still pictures and create short video/movies for uploading to my website, YouTube, etc."

Several are free. Picasa is one of them: Creating a movie - Picasa and Picasa Web Albums Help
Creating a movie
Combine your photos, videos, and music into a movie, and convert it to a .wmv (Windows) or .mov (Mac) file. Share it with friends by uploading it directly to YouTube. To create a movie, you can follow these steps:

Also, Here is a sample video on YouTube of the process:

Using Picasa to Create a Virtual Tour for YouTube - YouTube

I have been using Picasa for a year or two. It seems to be the best software for me for easily removing "RedEye" from photos, OK for quick processing color balance etc. And if I need collages in a hurry.

Rich

Old 11-17-2011, 09:15 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Which is why I asked for personal recommendations. I appreciate your posting the list, but I've learned the hard way that these lists don't necessarily make a program that will work for my needs.

Everybody recommends PhotoShop, apparently the most popular softwear for photo editing. I much preferred PhotoImpact, and will probably purchase another version (assuming that they make a 64-bit version).

I'll check out Picasa... many friends use it exclusively.

Thanks again, all. I appreciate ALL opinions posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That list is bad. How do I know? Because I have the software which is the first listed on your list, "Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Ultimate". And that is not video editing software. Same goes for "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3" on the list, it is not video editing software.

Rich

Old 11-17-2011, 09:19 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Photoshop CS3, CS4, and CS5 you can do a lot of movie and animation editing.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:31 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Ahhh, didn't notice in original post you were just doing stills. If you're looking for something just for stills Pro Show Gold can't be beat.

ProShow Gold - Fast and Fun HD Slideshows - Photodex

Haven't tried this but I've seen a lot of recommendations for it, best part is it's free. While the name implies it's for DVD's it does more than that.

DVDslideshowGUI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography