Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2016, 03:43 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this repeats a lot of other threads here but I figure it's quicker just to ask my question than to wade through mountains of information.

My wife and I are looking to set up a video studio at home, to record musical performances and exercise videos. We have a green screen and lighting, and I'll probably find a decent video editing program to use (seems that Final Cut Pro is the program of choice for us Mac users)... but I have to get a good camera.

I'd like something that can be remote-operated, as I'm not banking on having a cameraman. We may or may not have one, but I don't want to have a camera that must be operated by a cameraman. Also, I'd like to have something that can record in DVD-quality video without the typical "home video" blemishes like streaking, poor color, poor contrast, etc. Really - something that sees what the human eye would see is all I need.

It must be able to transfer its contents to my MacBook Pro hopefully easily. I have a video camcorder right now but it can only record to mini DVDs and there seems to be no way to transfer to a computer. I don't like that.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but I will spend what I need to spend to get what will work. I intend to produce videos to sell. I'd rather spend $2,000 for something that works than $1,000 for something that doesn't. (But, man, do I HAVE to spend that much? I'm not made of money...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 04:40 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
DVD-quality video without the typical "home video" blemishes like streaking, poor color, poor contrast, etc. Really - something that sees what the human eye would see is all I need.
DVD-quality video is a consumer video format used to store digital video on DVD discs. It is normally the final product, the the video format initially used to record video. The first format used (whatever is used to record) is a larger sized file, it is then edited, it is then encoded to a suitable format, which is normally a smaller file and encoded into the DVD format...

I quit creating video DVD's over 10 years ago.

1. Producing the DVD at home is a different DVD than mass produced.

2. Labels on mass produced DVD's look more professional, they can also be costly until you create enough of them. Printing lables and pasting them on, or using those "printable" DVD's can be a hassle... I just threw my Epson DVD label printing printer away last month.

' "home video" blemishes like streaking, poor color, poor contrast, etc ' is a function of the camera as well the photographer... How the video is processed...

This video was shot in 2012 on a spur of the moment. Two digital still cameras, two shooters, both hand held: https://youtu.be/mwIyJhRMm6c

We could have done a bit better...

Quote:
It must be able to transfer its contents to my MacBook Pro hopefully easily.

I have a video camcorder right now but it can only record to mini DVDs and there seems to be no way to transfer to a computer.
It is a matter of learning whatever process is needed. I can't comment on an unknown/unspecified camera...

Quote:
I'll probably find a decent video editing program to use (seems that Final Cut Pro is the program of choice for us Mac users)...
Everybody I have seen doing videos with a Mac seem to use Final Cut Pro... It seems cheaper now than it was 20+ years ago.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,183 times
What's the final output plan? are you going to publish to DVD or to put online? Are you planning to do green screen removal?

Also, will you want something you'll attach a microphone into, or do you have a rig that will record audio that you'll sync in editing later?

Green screen removal can be costly depending on how well you'd like it to turn out, so you'll also have to budget for the software to do that.

But aside from that, if we're talking basics, an HD camera that shoots to an SD or CF card with autofocus will probably be your best bet. Something with a flippable viewfinder since you'll probably be filming wide and monitoring yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography