Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 12:17 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,985 times

Advertisements

I am a student in film school and for my project, which I am shooting in a couple of days, I decided I want that aspect ratio, or something close to that. I am using the school's camera which has a 16:9 aspect ratio.

But does anyone know how I can get it to shoot at 2.35:1 particularly? I will be using either the Canon 5D or the Sony A7s II.

I'm not allowed to put magic lantern on the camera or anything like that to give me that aspect ratio, or not allowed to use software that will mess with the camera in that way. So is there any other way to get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 05:19 PM

49 posts, read 105,532 times
I can think of a workaround but I don't know how practical is is for you. Can you shoot in 16:9 and crop the top and bottom during editing to achieve your 2.35:1 aspect ratio? If you crop the height by roughly 25% (12.5% each for top and bottom) you should have the look and ratio you want.

You would have to be careful when shooting that you don't have important content in the part that will be cropped out later. I'm not familiar with the cameras you mentioned. One thing you might be able to do is upload a 2.35:1 image to your camera's memory card. Then play it back and mask your viewfinder accordingly (with tape or something not too sticky) so you know where the safe action area will be when you are shooting.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:43 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,641 times
Can you get a 2.35 anamorphic lens for your camera and shoot it in scope? I think that would be the easiest way to do it and the highest quality since you're using the whole 1.77 sensor instead of part of it. You'd have to project it through a similar reversal lens to produce the intended 2.35 scope image on screen.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:22 AM

They have an anamorphic adapter lens, which is a lens that goes on the end of whatever lens you are using. But the problem with this lens, is that even though it looks good in the wide shots, if you want to do a close up of a person in the shot, there is barrel distortion, which I want to avoid if possible.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:52 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,641 times
Yeah, the good old "cinemascope mumps".

Is it a universal atapter that screws onto the threaded end of the lens barrel(like a filter or a fisheye would)? Because I've been wanting to get one to do panoramic shots with my still cameras for some years now but haven't been able to find an affordable (<$500) one. Ive used them before and they're really great for nature scenery.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:44 AM

Yes it is. I did some tests with it. However, I do not like the look of it for two reasons:

1. The barrel distortion in the close up shots.

2. When shooting on real locations, they are often too small for an anamorphic lens. The lens shows so much range of a room, that most rooms are too small, where as regular lenses, can hide the lights, since they do not show near as much from side to side.

If I was working on expensive movies where we could afford sets, build specifically large enough for anamorphics than I would definitely take the anamorphic though.

However, on shoots where locations are small, and I have to hide things, I don't want the anamorphic lens, yet I still want an anamorphic shaped aspect ratio, since it looks more cinematic if that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography