Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 06:25 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,964,873 times

Advertisements

I use Adobe Premiere with Audobe Audition for sound editing. The two work together so you can non destructively edit sound with Audition within the Premiere time line. I'm not a pro either but Premiere has many features I like including the ability to crop within the frame to create a telephoto view, the ability to color grade the clips, you can create multiple windows in the frame, you can add lighting, spotlights, you can use film dissolves between the cuts. You can alter the speed of the clip then do the same in Auditon for the audio without changing the pitch. Whatever you can do with a still photo in Photoshop you can do with video in Premiere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 05:16 AM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
What about Hitfilm Express (which is free)?

Old 10-31-2017, 09:58 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
I considered Adobe Premiere because I use both LR and PS, so it seemed natural.... but I read it was pretty complicated to use (I didn't want a huge learning curve) and they wanted $20 a month for it. I only pay $10 for the other two!

I HAD it with free software, the ones I tried were junk and not worth the frustration.

The only thing I am not happy with is the lack of youtube videos for training. They have videos on their site but I haven't delved into it too much yet.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-31-2017, 10:16 AM

Premiere is like Photoshop in that it's easy to do simple things and doing the more complex stuff takes a youtube video or two to show you how to do it. Anything I ever wanted to learn on Photoshop or Premiere I found on youtube. You can try Premiere for free for 7 days. Really, nothing else compares. You also may want to get Adobe Audition with it if you have sound in your video that needs editing. They work together on the Premiere timeline. You can also try Audition (their sound editor) for free for 7 days. The trials are full versions, no restrictions on their use. I make my own music videos and use a stand alone recorder for the sound. I just use the camera sound track to sync the stand alone recorder audio to the video, then mute the camera audio on the timeline. (I just move the stand alone audio track until it matches the camera audio track visually, then mute the camera audio track.) So I prefer the audio and video editors to work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I considered Adobe Premiere because I use both LR and PS, so it seemed natural.... but I read it was pretty complicated to use (I didn't want a huge learning curve) and they wanted $20 a month for it. I only pay $10 for the other two!

I HAD it with free software, the ones I tried were junk and not worth the frustration.

The only thing I am not happy with is the lack of youtube videos for training. They have videos on their site but I haven't delved into it too much yet.

Last edited by bobspez; 10-31-2017 at 10:32 AM..

Old 10-31-2017, 11:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
What about Hitfilm Express (which is free)?
I have never used it. I have never heard of it.

Their website: https://hitfilm.com/express

I dunno... I have been editing video on and off for over 15 years. Video editing can be a complex process. It seems to get more complex as you gain experience. Then you start getting the "oh, that's what that feature/item etc. is all about. I learned a lot from the original Windows Movie Maker. I also learned some of the shortcomings.

Hitfilm Express appears to have a lot of neat features, all the way to $325 worth of add on features... Check it out at https://hitfilm.com/store/hitfilm-express

Old 11-26-2017, 12:36 PM

Have you made a decision?

Old 11-26-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Have you made a decision?
I went with Power Director, inexpensive ($99), easy to learn, and lots of bells and whistles. I love the pre-made movies they did where they turn your photos/vids into a show... reminiscent of stuff you can do on a Mac.

I was going through videos and clipping them down to bits and pieces. DH films like 5 minutes at a time and it gets really boring. That was time consuming and I have lots of video to go through... then I got side tracked with other stuff.

But I did his training video super quick, and everyone was happy with it.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:53 AM

Glad it worked out for you. Editing is a time consuming process. It can take 6 weeks to 6 months to edit a 90 - 120 minute Hollywood movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I went with Power Director, inexpensive ($99), easy to learn, and lots of bells and whistles. I love the pre-made movies they did where they turn your photos/vids into a show... reminiscent of stuff you can do on a Mac.

I was going through videos and clipping them down to bits and pieces. DH films like 5 minutes at a time and it gets really boring. That was time consuming and I have lots of video to go through... then I got side tracked with other stuff.

But I did his training video super quick, and everyone was happy with it.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:02 AM

It is PAINFUL. I have threatened DH with dire consequences if he does not start doing short bursts of filming instead of the whole "whatever." I understand him wanting to film say the whole time the person is wake boarding, waiting for something to happen, a good trick, a good wipe out.... But most of it is people JUST boarding (for example).

I started going through just removing portions and then saving it (deleting the original file), so now they like a minute of various clips (from the same video)..... but then I stopped because what am I going to do with that? I didn't add transitions or anything...

Is there a better way to trim down your vacation footage? I think I should have save each of the clips as separate files or thing?

Any advice?

Maybe take video of each person, clip it down and merge all the files with the one person?

It's so much, it takes all the fun out of it.

Luckily today I just have to do normal photo edits of pics I took of my friend's kids over the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography