Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2018, 10:32 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,908 times

Advertisements

Basically when shooting outdoors, or indoors but not on a flat leveled floor, and I am panning with a tripod, the tripod will often start out level, but then when I pan, it goes on a slant, cause the location is not completely on a flat surface. Here are two clips for examples:

This one it goes on a slant while panning at 10 seconds into video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADXq4Vtc0uc

And this one it goes on a slant while panning at 50 seconds into the video. Notice how the lamp poles are on a slant. Where as before the video starts out straight but then goes on a slant while panning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvGO4trZRkQ

Does anyone know what to do about this while panning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 08:25 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Adjust the tripod leg lengths until the head is level....

The Easiest Easy Way To Level Your Tripod

How To Level A Tripod With a Bubble Level | Hot Shoe Bubble Level On Your Cameras | TUTORIAL

Old 08-27-2018, 04:09 PM

Okay thanks, but I did that. The head is level. The problem is, is that the actual location is on a slant. Like where I am shooting it's level, but where the camera is aimed at, the view becomes slanted about 50 feet away from the camera like so.

So what do you do then?

Old 08-27-2018, 06:20 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
I'm not sure I understand. The absolute #1 rule when using a tripod is to level the head, perfectly - you can then screw around with tilt angles and stuff all you want. If you level the camera, and it stays level, then everything you pan to should be vertical. This sounds a little more like lens distortion from a wide-angle, and perspective issues.

Shooting architectural is a bugger, because getting a combination of view and parallel lines (especially vertically) can be contradictory. That's where tilt-shift lenses come in, for example - you level the film plane to the building and literally twist the lens to get the coverage you want.

But if you're panning around with a level cam, every beam and corner that's vertical should film as vertical, even if there are vertical perspective issues. Any lens wider than about 20% off 1:1 (around 40mm, for standard cameras) is going to exaggerate perspective problems.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:11 PM

Oh okay thanks. What about the lens in the second shot? I was zoomed to 450mm on the lens, if I remember correct, so that is not a wide shot at all.

I was told by someone that even though I was leveled, the part of the ground where the woman was walking on was not leveled. I was told that I should level to where the subject is going to be walking, and not where the tripod is actually standing.

Like for example, the ground that the tripod is on, is leveled, but the area that I a zoomed into, about 50 feet away or so, is not. What should I do then?

Old 08-29-2018, 06:06 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Level is level and vertical is vertical. The usual rule is to level everything "true" to your location, using bubble levels and the like, and then figure out the problems from there. (That is, setting up a tripod or mount that's deliberately off-axis usually leads to more problems.)

If someone is walking 50 feet away, i assume the gravity isn't any different for them and they are vertical regardless of the ground slope. It makes no sense to "level where the subject is" - level, again, is level.

If you are trying to point the camera up or down a slope, that's a slightly different problem. If you start level and point the camera down ten degrees, then swivel, you're going to get a slanted image as the camera spins off its forward-facing level. The solution there is a tripod or mount that pivots UNDER any tilt, so if you level the base, point the camera down, and turn it, the film plane stays level even though the viewing angle is not.

Put another way since we don't have diagrams - if you point the camera down and the mount pivots on the vertical center of the tripod, you'll view a circle of ground all around the tripod. If the camera is pointed down and the pivot is on the (tilted) vertical center of the film plane, you'll get a halo image that shows the ground on one side and the sky on the other. That make sense? It really should be simple if you're standing there with it. Make sure to pivot the right element of the tripod or mount (usually the stem), not the camera on its base.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:15 PM

Okay thanks. I think my bubble might be defective though, as it says I am level when I am not, it turns out sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography