Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,006 times

Advertisements

So this weekend I was driving home through Virginia and got a ticket for reckless driving, going 88 in a 65 zone. I understand it is possible to get this reduced to a speeding violation rather than a criminal fine if I have a lawyer represent me at the trial. I live a bit too far away to comfortably drive to Virginia, but I understand that it is possible to have a lawyer represent you at the trial.

So basically, I was wondering if you can recommend a lawyer to represent me at the trial. If anyone has a recommendation, please send me a PM.

Thanks,
Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,006 times
I'm not sure if double posting is allowed, but I can't seem to find an edit button anywhere.

In any case, I just wanted to add that if it is reasonable, I would be willing to drive up to Virginia on the court date on my own if it meant getting the charge or fine reduced. The court is in Wytheville and I'm in Knoxville, so the drive is only ~3 hours. I have seen some mixed information here and on other forums with some people saying that I need a lawyer and others saying that if I show up on my own there is a good chance the judge will reduce the charge to something a bit less severe/serious. I do realize I was driving too fast (although I'm not certain it was actually 88 mph, seems a bit high...), anything I can do to make things a bit easier for myself would be good. So if anyone here has any experience/advice, please help. If I can avoid hiring a lawyer, it would be helpful as I am a college student. Money is always a bit tight right now...

Last edited by DanV2; 10-31-2010 at 04:35 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 01:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,137 times
Default Reckless Driving...

Bro, I just had my court date for this B-S scam they are running in Va. In short I was doing over 90 in a 65 for about 6 seconds on I64 trying to pass the idiot in the fast lane who was doing at least 80 in 5:00 traffic trying to get me killed by the people coming off the entrance ramp. Anyway here's the costs broke down for me:

Lawyer = $1500.00 (kind of expensive, pretty sure I got scammed on this part too.)
Ticket & Court Costs = $834.00
No Jail Time & No License Suspension
This was my first ever speeding ticket or encounter with the law.

My advice, hire a lawyer for a couple hundred bucks to represent you and just get ready to be found guilty and pay a big fine after the court date. Get some character references ready & I took the defensive driving class before the trial also, not sure if it helped or not.

Bottom line is we drive fast so we pay for it...screw it, at least we don't live in that sh*thole of a state.

Good Luck.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvinahurry View Post
Bro, I just had my court date for this B-S scam they are running in Va. In short I was doing over 90 in a 65 for about 6 seconds on I64 trying to pass the idiot in the fast lane who was doing at least 80 in 5:00 traffic trying to get me killed by the people coming off the entrance ramp. Anyway here's the costs broke down for me:

Lawyer = $1500.00 (kind of expensive, pretty sure I got scammed on this part too.)
Ticket & Court Costs = $834.00
No Jail Time & No License Suspension
This was my first ever speeding ticket or encounter with the law.

My advice, hire a lawyer for a couple hundred bucks to represent you and just get ready to be found guilty and pay a big fine after the court date. Get some character references ready & I took the defensive driving class before the trial also, not sure if it helped or not.

Bottom line is we drive fast so we pay for it...screw it, at least we don't live in that sh*thole of a state.

Good Luck.
hey i was just wondering, did you incur any points as well? i was doing 85-60 on 66 around 6:40 am, nobody really on the road. anyway, did you get any points or just a fine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: