Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2007, 09:00 PM

25 posts, read 98,700 times

Advertisements

I have been doing some research and came across a county called Charles City County, VA. My family is looking to settle in the Richmond area and are looking into all options. It seems like a really small town and the stats show that unemployment is sort of high. However, it seems to be a very diverse county/town when it comes to cultural aspects (which is what we are looking for-laid back, family friendly and non congested roads). Reviews from parents regarding the school district are very alarming. Can someone speak about Charles City as a place for a family to move to with small school age children.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 09:23 PM

213 posts, read 1,020,432 times
i can't imagine anyone saying CCC has a lot of cultural options.

It is beautiful, between James City County and Richmond - nothing much, a few small towns, great James River views and some of the Plantations.

Schools not as good as surrounding areas.

For retirees, people with large estates it is fine, for a young family I would suggest private school - which menas a drive since no private school in CCC.

I have friends who live on the river, about 2 miles over the bridge from JCC and the kids all came into Williamsburg for school.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:06 AM

62 posts, read 263,343 times
Default Charles City

I grew and spent most of my childhood hunting and fishing in charles city. Its mostly farm's and nice estates on the river. Very few families and little employeement in the area. I would look at James City County instead.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Great Follow up

Thanks for the great follow up, I thought know one was reading my post and plea for help.

Take Care and I will forward the info on to my husband who is currently in Richmond looking for a place to live.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:48 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
why not try new Kent county its starting to grow and has more to offer than ccc,although for a tranquil life ccc would be great but as stated the schools don't offer much account of it is a not as well off financially as surrounding counties

Old 02-19-2007, 09:29 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,688 times
As HTLong mentioned New Kent, Va is growing like crazy although its still quite rural. There are a few developments starting near exit 205, 211 & 214 on interstate 64. These should spur new retail stores which are sorely needed. The Vineyards of New Kent will have amost 2500 homes when finished centered around a Vineyard that is being built. If you tell me what price range you are considering I can suggest others.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:25 AM

Smile Price Range

At this point since we know nothing about VA, we think it is best to rent for 6 months and purchase after that time. Thus, we don't want to spend more than $900 a month for an apartment, in a good schoola area with a short term lease.

Thanks for the response.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,592 times
Default Know This May Seem A Lil Bit Late, But ...

While surfing the net, I came across your post and the replies that you received. I realize that my post may be RATHER late, but, I felt compelled to leave a reply myself.

True, I was born in a hospital in Richmond, but I was raised and have lived my entire life in Charles City County. According to Census statistics, out population has not grown very much over the years, actually it has stayed somewhat on a level playing field. But one must realize, there are more than just a "few" families here.

Charles City County has more to offer people than fields, plantations and rivers. Charles City County is the birthplace of the some the nation's history! Charles City County is the birthplace of Presidents! Charles City County is home to the Chickahominy Indian Tribe, who are the largest of the seven native Algonquin tribes here to Virginia. (I am proud to be a full-blood member of that tribe.) The tribe holds an annual Fall Festival and Pow-Wow the fourth weekend in September of every year that is open to the public on our tribal grounds so that we may share our culture with others. There are also recreation facilities available.

Charles City County is experiencing growth, but, currently it seems to be at a controlled rate. One factor may be due to availability of water and septic. I believe it is because of the availability of water and sewer lines that New Kent has been able to "blossom" as they have. If that is what the citizens of New Kent want and are happy with, more power to them! Will "blossoming" come to Charles City County? More than likely, yes. Change happens all the time. But, I think you have to control how it happens in each and every different situation. It's called "CITIZEN INVOLVEMENT" and not after it happens and you are fussing about it, but being active and helping mold things as they go along.

There is another type of involvement and that one is called "PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT". You seemed alarmed about what you heard about the school system. How many people did you talk to? Did you visit the schools? Talk to the teachers, the students? Or, did you just talk to people who DID NOT send their children to the school system?

I, myself, am a product of the Charles City County School System. I graduated in a tie for 10th due to my GPA out of a class 67 students. Yes, our classes are small. Our graduating classes are not in the hundreds like surrounding counties. I went on to study at J. Sergeant Reynolds Community College, where I graduated *** Laude. I had parents who were "INVOLVED" in my academic career. There are others who have graduated from four year colleges, with Magna *** Laude added on to their degrees. The Charles City County School System has fostered doctors, lawyers, meteorologists (one, who has been on national television), business owners and the list goes on and on and that is because their parents were "INVOLVED" in their education. Education is what the student, the parent AND the system together make out of it!

Charles City County is not the "small" place that people think it is. You do not enter our borders, close your eyes and when you open them you are in the next county. Where you live is what you make of it. If you don't like it, try to change it, or move. But without "INVOLVEMENT", what you think are just the problems here, you will find elsewhere.

I hope where you have finally made your home, you are very happy. But, I think you really have missed out on a rich experience living in Charles City County, the Birthplace to some of the Nation's History!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia