Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2007, 01:13 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I hope someone can help me here. I'm going to Hillsville for the weekend to catch that big flea market/gun show. I don't know anything at all about the area.

Any suggestions on places to eat? I'm talking for breakfast, lunch and dinner. How about must-sees? We are staying in Wytheville, so anything close by would be great.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 03:23 PM

174 posts, read 528,711 times
If you like chinese you should try Peking in Wytheville. It is on the hill beside of Shoney's. The Log House on Main St. Wytheville is a really neat place for dinner. Breakfast at Shoney's is most always good.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:35 PM

41 posts, read 122,732 times
Smile flea market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Hi everyone! I hope someone can help me here. I'm going to Hillsville for the weekend to catch that big flea market/gun show. I don't know anything at all about the area.

Any suggestions on places to eat? I'm talking for breakfast, lunch and dinner. How about must-sees? We are staying in Wytheville, so anything close by would be great.

Thank you!
I am not familiar with the area either, but my husband, son and I are also going to the gun show/flea market Saturday. We have gotten a cabin in Fancy Gap, and I can't wait to go!!!!!!!!! Maybe, it will be a little cooler there! Then that evening my husband wants to go to the dirt race track in Wythesville. Hoping you have fun shopping! Sorry, I couldn't help you out with eating places. On a visit to Hillsville before, we did stop at a Pizza Hut, and the people were so friendly. I love Hillsville.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:44 PM

Thank you both for the responses!
VAlover, my husband is excited to hear of a good Chinese restaurant. Me, not so happy. He can eat Chinese everyday, and I could go the rest of my life without. We'll definitely try the Log House.

Hey nymunga, I hope you have a great time! I've never been to this show before, I'm looking forward to it. Let me know what great finds you come home with!

Old 09-02-2007, 12:49 PM

232 posts, read 1,722,685 times
I'll tell you all the places to try.....
First - Go to Aunt Beas.. there are ones on Main St. in Hillsville and one on 58 in Galax. Both are locally owned and operated and have some of the best breakfast around. No offense, but don't eat at any big chain restaurants there as the area has a good variety of local places.
Second - The galax smokehouse on Main Street. Excellent bbq. You can also go to this other place on Main St, Macado's. Good sandwiches, subs, etc.
Third - For Pizza.... Look no further than RJ's on 58 in Galax. Some of the best stromboli you will ever eat there also.
HMMM... where else..... there is a good mexican restaurant by the cinema in Galax.. don't recall the name though. There is another Mexican rest. on 58 called Tlaquepaque.... it is okay.
Finally - If you want a cool meal on a Sunday Drive, go to Main Street in Galax and eat at either the Dairy Bar or the Tastee Freeze. Both places bring food to your car. The food is pretty good, but the experience is neat as well.
Honorable Mention - The Hillsville Diner (I think that is still the name).. it is on Main St. as well.

I hope that helps.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:00 PM

41 posts, read 122,732 times
Talking Flea Market was packed!

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Thank you both for the responses!
VAlover, my husband is excited to hear of a good Chinese restaurant. Me, not so happy. He can eat Chinese everyday, and I could go the rest of my life without. We'll definitely try the Log House.

Hey nymunga, I hope you have a great time! I've never been to this show before, I'm looking forward to it. Let me know what great finds you come home with!
The flea market was huge! It took us over 45 minutes to drive into Hillsville and then find parking. We went on a Saturday afternoon and next year we will go on Sunday, when the traffic isn't as heavy. It was just as advertised. So many booths and items for sale, and good food! All the people were so friendly. I picked up some knick knacks (birds) which I am starting to collect, a baseball hat for my son, and then my husband wanted to "hit" the Italian sausage booth. I love the "blooming onion."

We had a lovely time and I tell about where we stayed that night in a new thread.

Ms. Charlotte---how did your shopping go??? !! Also, we rode into Galax and found more smaller sales, but still some good finds!

Old 09-03-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymunga View Post
:

The flea market was huge! It took us over 45 minutes to drive into Hillsville and then find parking. We went on a Saturday afternoon and next year we will go on Sunday, when the traffic isn't as heavy. It was just as advertised. So many booths and items for sale, and good food! All the people were so friendly. I picked up some knick knacks (birds) which I am starting to collect, a baseball hat for my son, and then my husband wanted to "hit" the Italian sausage booth. I love the "blooming onion."

We had a lovely time and I tell about where we stayed that night in a new thread.

Ms. Charlotte---how did your shopping go??? !! Also, we rode into Galax and found more smaller sales, but still some good finds!
Unfortunately, not so good.
I was okay with parking because my husband was working their, so I parked right behind his booth.

I felt horribly sick during my whole trip. I think it was the McDonald's I picked up for the ride. I walked around for a while, but finally had to just get back to my room over in Wytheville. I LOVE Italian sausage and couldn't even eat it!

The next day wasn't much better for me. I was too tired and still feeling sick from the night before.

Oh well! All wasn't lost. The area was beautiful, people were awesome ( I'm pretty sure I was the only Yankee there) and I got a break from my 3 wonderful children. Hey, I may have been sick, but I had no 2 yr. old there to wake me up in the middle of the night.

I'm glad you had fun. I'm going to check it out next year, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia