Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times

Advertisements

Hi, wife and I have been researching possible relocation destinations for the not too far off future. We want to live on the far fringes of a big metro like DC, but be close enough as to get into town for basically anything we want or need without having to make an overnight trip of it. Preliminary research I've done seems to show the Winchester area to be very scenic, interesting, and affordable......anyone agree? Any other places we should check out?

I'm a radiology tech, she's a part time cosmetologist. 3 kids. We make about 70K combined up here (very remote), and would hope salaries would be higher closer to a big metro. We would rent until secure enough to buy, and then the budget wouldn't be much over 200K for a home. We are not partiers by any means, but again, we would like to be close enough to a big metro so we could have access to all it offers at the drop of a hat instead of having to drive 3 to 4 hours and stay the night like we do now.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 05:09 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
I don't think you will find any semi-rural areas 90 minutes from DC. If there are any they won't be that way very long. I think everyone who moves to the DC metro area wants the same thing. The exploding
population growth 90 minutes out is astounding! Winchester, Fredericksburg are good choices but due to the traffic congestion to DC getting into town is a constant struggle for visitors and residents. F'burg has more train options and Winchester needs a train. If you are moving to the DC area forget about semi-rural and think Traffic, Traffic & More Traffic!

Old 04-26-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I don't think you will find any semi-rural areas 90 minutes from DC. If there are any they won't be that way very long. I think everyone who moves to the DC metro area wants the same thing. The exploding
population growth 90 minutes out is astounding! Winchester, Fredericksburg are good choices but due to the traffic congestion to DC getting into town is a constant struggle for visitors and residents. F'burg has more train options and Winchester needs a train. If you are moving to the DC area forget about semi-rural and think Traffic, Traffic & More Traffic!
Sounds like Atlanta. I lived there for 20 years. We really love Virginia....that is one beautiful, historic state.

Thing is, we wouldn't need to get into DC except for extracarricular stuff. We'd like to be as near as our budget would allow us to be, but our careers allow us to work anywhere, so a daily commute into DC wouldn't be a factor. We would work as close to our home as possible. I'm assuming that there are bukoo hospitals and/or clinics I could land at if the population is exploding as you say it is.....and people will always need haircuts. We feel we could make a go of it.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
There are plenty of semi-rural spots within 90 minutes of DC in both MD and VA, especially if you're not doing it during rush hour which sounds like you won't be doing much of. I'd recommend somewhere around Warrenton if you can find a job out that way. You might also want to post on the Maryland forum as there's lots of possibilities there too. There are even areas in PA and WV that are within 90 minutes of DC during non-rush hours.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You might also want to post on the Maryland forum as there's lots of possibilities there too.
I heard Maryland was really expensive across the board......hence our interest in Virginia. Truth?

Old 04-26-2012, 07:49 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Thing is, we wouldn't need to get into DC except for extracarricular stuff. We'd like to be as near as our budget would allow us to be, but our careers allow us to work anywhere, so a daily commute into DC wouldn't be a factor. We would work as close to our home as possible. I'm assuming that there are bukoo hospitals and/or clinics I could land at if the population is exploding as you say it is.....and people will always need haircuts. We feel we could make a go of it.
Winchester is a little over 70 miles outside of DC, rural but with modern amenities/benefits. If you're not driving during rush hour, you could make it easily into the District in 1.5 hrs. The Loudoun Commuter Bus system (you'd pick it up in Purcellville or Hamilton) is extremely efficient but schedules are limited to morning and afternoon work schedules. You could get on-off at various stops throughout DC as well as drop-offs at West Falls Church metro.

If you're looking at medical occupations, check out Winchester Medical Center/Valley Health. The place is booming; people would be surprised at its growth.

In addition, there are a few beauty schools in Winchester that could probably give you leads with salon info/positions.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
. . .and Winchester needs a train.
Jeez, I would love this. But not sure how much of a reality it could be because of the mountain(s). The Winchester & Western comes through town but that's cargo. Winchester even has its original train station which is really cool (I think city workers have offices in there).

Currently there's a train in Charlestown, WV but that wraps around MD and the northern part of DC -- not the most convenient for many people.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:38 AM

We would rent first before buying, just to be sure we were comfortable in a particular spot, but man......these property taxes I am seeing in some of the outlying places like Winchester and Fredricksburg are outstanding. Are these for real? I was checking out similar fringe locations around Chicagoland, and they were like 3 and 4 times as much for a region not nearly as scenic or interesting. Loving Virginia at the moment.....

Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
. . . but man......these property taxes I am seeing in some of the outlying places like Winchester and Fredricksburg are outstanding. Are these for real?
We pay about $1,500/yr in property taxes on our house in Winchester. We are located in the downtown historic district (not a large lot), 2500+ sq feet, solid brick. Historic house, not new, though.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
We pay about $1,500/yr in property taxes on our house in Winchester. We are located in the downtown historic district (not a large lot), 2500+ sq feet, solid brick. Historic house, not new, though.
Wow....that is even lower per year than what we're paying in remote northern Michigan ($1,600). Even many 10-20 year old homes in your area seem to have similar tax rates. Pretty attractive.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia