Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 PM

97 posts, read 105,609 times

Advertisements

i dont know if i am posting in the correct forum or not because i saw two forums (one is virginia and the other is west virginia)..i dont know the difference since im not America
Anyway,I am planning to visit Washington DC and virginia for thanksgiving ...i want attractions..big interesting malls..i also need fun indoors for kids aged 4...I will stay there only 3 days so i want places really worth going to

thank you sooo much in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 07:04 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
You'd be better posting in either DC or Northern Virginia Forums then. You don't have much time, you want shopping malls?

Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely person View Post
i dont know if i am posting in the correct forum or not because i saw two forums (one is virginia and the other is west virginia)..i dont know the difference since im not America
Anyway,I am planning to visit Washington DC and virginia for thanksgiving ...i want attractions..big interesting malls..i also need fun indoors for kids aged 4...I will stay there only 3 days so i want places really worth going to

thank you sooo much in advance
I agree with the other poster, post under the Northern Virginia subfolder of Virginia to get specific ideas for the area. One idea, although it's not really indoors so is weather dependent is National Zoo in D.C. Lots of fun for a small one and there are buildings to go in so you are not totally outdoors the whole time. It is metro accessible, so you can ask how to do that.

Another question, what part of the area will you be? Traffic is bad here so you may not want to go far, a four year old can be happy with a small play area as much as a big one on the other side of town. Of course, there always is the Chuckie Cheeses of the world, but I think you can find something more unique than that.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:13 AM

97 posts, read 105,609 times
Flamingo
Yes I want malls .. I live in a small town without malls
Ok I will postin the other forum

Choff
I think I am gonna stay in downtown of DC.. I want a lively area that doesn't sleep and at the same time a safe place.. I don't know if my choice is right or not?
As for my child, you are right she will be happy with anything, yet I don't want an ordinary place where I can find everywhere.. We rarely get such an opportunity

Old 11-17-2012, 11:30 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Washington is noted for outstanding world-class museums - take your daughter over to see the model trains, models of iconic Washington buildings made of natural materials, multiple decorated Christmas trees, blooming plants and the wonderful holiday displays at the Botanic Gardens, on the Mall near the Capitol - VERY popular with preschoolers. She'd also enjoy the dinosaurs and other child-friendly displays at the Museum of Natural History, and the huge dollhouse in the American History Museum is a must-see. She might also enjoy the Museum of the American Indian, close to the Botanic Gardens. Sometimes there are holiday displays of antique toys at the DAR headquarters - not sure what's happening there this year, though an online check would provide info.

There's a carousel on the Mall, too - not sure if it operates in the winter. And there's an outdoor ice rink near the Mellon Gallery of Art, with rental skates (some were not well-sharpened the last time I was there - had to ask for another pair, which were in better shape). All of these attractions are free except for the skating rink. There are outstanding museum shops in the Museum of Natural History, the Indian and American History Museums, with much more distinct things than you'll find in a mall. There is a reasonably priced cafeteria in the Art Museum, too.

The National Christmas Tree will be in the Ellipse, behind the White House, along with other displays and usually carol-singing by local groups. Again, it's free. A trip down to Mount Vernon, the home of George and Martha Washington, might be fun, though your daughter is a little young - fewer people visit during the winter, but the usually closed third floor is open, refreshments are included, and you get far more personal attention from the well-informed and friendly guides and it's very festive, as the house is decorated for Christmas - don't miss seeing Martha's huge "Great Cake" on the dining room banqueting table! Mount Vernon is NOT free, but well-worth the admission charge.

However...Tyson's Corner is a large mall over in NVA, if you're determined to mall shop.

Check the Smithsonian website before you travel - several of the above museums are part of the Smithsonian, as is the zoo.

Hope you have a great time. I've spent past Christmases in the area, and there's always more going on than I can squeeze in!

Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely person View Post
Flamingo
Yes I want malls .. I live in a small town without malls
Ok I will postin the other forum

Choff
I think I am gonna stay in downtown of DC.. I want a lively area that doesn't sleep and at the same time a safe place.. I don't know if my choice is right or not?
As for my child, you are right she will be happy with anything, yet I don't want an ordinary place where I can find everywhere.. We rarely get such an opportunity
Well, lively place that doesn't sleep doesn't seem to quite mesh with having a small child in tow, but here are a couple of links to look at for kid ideas, just found this blog, KidFriendly DC | A resource for families in the DC-Metro area, seems to have many ideas if you dig through it. Another really neat place, if you have transportation and can afford it is Ice! At the Gaylord National at National Harbor, ICE! featuring DreamWorks Shrek the Halls | Christmas on the Potomac at Gaylord National. It's now open and I have heard is fabulous. On the other hand, if you are in town, pick a Smithsonian museum to visit. It will be crowded, some are more kid friendly than others, but the price is right, free! Enjoy!

Old 11-17-2012, 02:55 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Since a shopping mall is a criteria there is Tysons's as suggested and Fair Oaks (less traffic to get to Fair Oaks IMO)

Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
I have lived in the local area for 60 years. CraigCreek gave you some excellent suggestions above, which I agree with - Union Station, Botanical Gardens, the Museum of the American Indian, and Museum of American History. The Smithsonian is a large group of several museums, which are all open every day, free of charge: click here Smithsonian . You can get LOTS more information here Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor (in a list of USA States, Washington is called "District of Columbia". Do not confuse with other Washington on the West Coast) and on this site http://dc.about.com/od/childrensactivities/tp

If you are visiting the downtown museums and tourist sights, do not drive your car in the city (except on Sunday). Traffic in the Washington area is among the very worst in all the USA. You should stay at a central hotel downtown, or else near a metrorail station such as in Arlington or Crystal City, and walk, ride taxis, busses, or metrorail.

The only department store in downtown central Washington is "Macy's" and there is "Target" at Columbia Heights. The Pentagon City and Ballston Commons shopping malls , however, are only a few miles away and are easy to go to on Metrorail. Metro - Home page . Ride the train to the Pentagon City station or the Ballston station. There are also several department stores near Friendship Heights station, but they are expensive (costly).

Last edited by slowlane3; 11-18-2012 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia