Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 AM

8 posts, read 13,972 times

Advertisements

Hello, looking for a little guidance here. I currently live in St. marys county in southern MD with my girlfriend, 3 step daughters and son, ages 6,4,3 & 9 months. I absolutly hate it here and am looking to move to Virginia around June / July. The only catch is that my step daughters still go to their poor excuse for a fathers house every other weekend (who also lives in southern maryland). That being said we need to stay within 2 or 3 hours at the most from southern maryland (Luray and winchester are both about 3 hours from here). I saw on here a list of info to give when asking relocation question so here goes.

-Where you are working - That is to be determined however i have a lot of qualifications and experience in multipule fields. i am looking to narrow down the area first then, look into employment in that area.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing - we own our house now however will be looking to rent in VA with at least 3 bedrooms (and a garage would be nice) for no more than about $1300 a month not including utilities.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - obviously the shorter the better but i can tolerate up to an hour each way for the right job.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? - public school is fine as long as the schools are decent.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? - we currently live on a 2 acre lot back in the woods on a private road and thats what i like. My hobbies are mudding and shooting (in a legal and safe manor) so needless to say the city life is not for me. i like privacy and friendly neighbors if any. As long as im within 15 minutes of a gas station and 30 minutes or so from a walmart im happy. Low crime is very important to me, im not a criminal and dont want to be surrounded by them.

-Community amenities important to you - Nope, however nice to have

-Pie or Cake ? - Nothing more american than fresh apple pie !

Thanks for any feedback in advance !

Chris

Last edited by ffemt358; 02-11-2013 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 04:56 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
What do you specifically hate about your current location? That might help people with their responses.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 AM

sorry i should have included that. I am moving because the crime here both violent and property is growing very fast, it used to be a decent place to live. I am a police dispatcher here and see and hear the crime everyday. we went on vacation this past weekend and just in the couple days i was gone there was 2 shootings and a murder. one was a home invasion where the suspect shot and killed the home owner and the other 2 were drug/gang related. while at work a couple months ago the convience/liquor store less than a mile from my house was robbed at gun point and the suspect fled on foot into the woods in the direction of my house, and my girlfriend and kids were at home. There is a bad area just down the street from me that the narcodics unit is constantly investigating and doing warrant services at. The cost of living here is also insane and the average income does not support it. for example before i purchased my house i was paying $1450 a month (not including utilities) for a 2 bed 1 bath house with about 1/4 acre of land. Jobs are hard to find unless you work at Pax River navy base, and the average income here for a male is $27,496. The crime, cost of living, rapid population growth and lack of employment are my reasons for moving. There are also a lot of dumb laws and maryland is a may issue state however is more so a no issue. This is not where i want my kids to grow up.

Last edited by ffemt358; 02-12-2013 at 06:41 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 AM

203 posts, read 413,038 times
Coming across the Potomac River bridge (US 301 at Newburg) into King George VA, you are within easy striking distance of several counties full of much Virginia real estate that should suit your parameters. Try looking around at online realty sites and see what's available in nearby counties. Much of it you can view on Google Maps or Google Earth. If you like what you see, you can call them and discuss further.

Good luck in your quest,
Dan

Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 AM

yes that is the route i would prefer to take rather than going north and dealing with 495. i have looked into a few different counties online just by statistics and photos that i could find. Im looking at Fauquier, Madison, Page and Rappahannock counties. If anyone would like to shed some light on any of these areas please feel free. Obviously we will make a trip or two to the areas before we decide where we want to go but its always good to get a little insight from people that know the area. After compairing them Fauquier seems to have the most of what we are looking for from what info i have gathered. I have drove through Remington before, seemed nice. I also used to go to Catlett a lot as a kid to visit my great grandmother. My Grandfathers whole side of the family is from Catlett, however none of us have been there since she passed away about 15 years ago

Old 02-12-2013, 04:10 PM

203 posts, read 413,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffemt358 View Post
yes that is the route i would prefer to take rather than going north and dealing with 495. i have looked into a few different counties online just by statistics and photos that i could find. Im looking at Fauquier, Madison, Page and Rappahannock counties. If anyone would like to shed some light on any of these areas please feel free. Obviously we will make a trip or two to the areas before we decide where we want to go but its always good to get a little insight from people that know the area. After compairing them Fauquier seems to have the most of what we are looking for from what info i have gathered. I have drove through Remington before, seemed nice. I also used to go to Catlett a lot as a kid to visit my great grandmother. My Grandfathers whole side of the family is from Catlett, however none of us have been there since she passed away about 15 years ago
Fauquier County is great. We used to live in Remington. Nice little town, very low crime, super-friendly. And the people at Andes (the deli with the self-service Amoco gas pumps) make fantastic chicken salad. They're about to build a group of houses just outside the town limits, near Andes. We were just in Remington about 2 weeks ago. Excellent Super-Wal-Mart about 11 miles from Remington, just as you're going into the North end of Culpeper.

You might also want to look around Bealeton, about 8 miles from Remington. I've heard there are some really inexpensive places around Bealeton for rent and/or for sale.

When you visit Remington, you want to be sure to take the family to Moo-Thru. It's a drive-through dairy store on Route 29 where Route 28 comes in, just north of Remington, sells FRESH milk and maybe 30 or 40 flavors of ice cream (including several that are sugar-free), and a few made-to-order sandwiches. Owned by a local Remington family with a herd of dairy cows. Here's their website:
Moo Thru Real Ice Cream from Real Dairy Farmers in Virginia

It's one of a kind. They've only been there maybe 2 or 3 years, but have been voted the BEST dairy dessert store in the area by Northern Virginia magazine. We stop at Moo-Thru almost every time we go anywhere near Remington.

Infrastructure is pretty good in Fauquier County. The Fauquier Hospital in the Town of Warrenton is a first-class facility. Virginia State Police have a barracks at Warrenton also. Fauquier's school system is very good. And that area is still close enough to more urban areas if you really really really need something you can't find in Fauquier. (Manassas is about 25 miles.)

Law enforcement in Fauquier is mostly Sheriff's Dept. However, Remington does have it's own Police Department (I think maybe 5 or 6 officers, who work part-time on Fridays and Saturdays.

Nothing much ever really happens in Remington, maybe an occasional traffic accident. Compared to the insanity closer to the Capital Beltway, Remington is like going back in time 30 or 40 years.

Happy hunting,
Dan

Old 02-13-2013, 05:34 PM

wow, thanks for the detailed info. Remington sounds great and that moo thru sounds really neat. With the info you gave remington sounds pretty darn close to what we are looking for. the one other area i have also been looking at is Madison county. Seems very country which for me is great. if someone can give as much insight about madison as you have about remington that will pretty much answer all of my questions.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
You can research statistics, and also opinions, about individual public and private schools on these two websites

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools

Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_DC View Post
Coming across the Potomac River bridge (US 301 at Newburg) into King George VA, you are within easy striking distance of several counties full of much Virginia real estate that should suit your parameters. Try looking around at online realty sites and see what's available in nearby counties. Much of it you can view on Google Maps or Google Earth. If you like what you see, you can call them and discuss further.

Good luck in your quest,
Dan
Dahlgren - King George recently opened a Wal Mart, as well as a family YMCA. There are discussions of that area on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia