Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 5,190 times

Advertisements

My sister and I are looking for some place to retire to in about 15 years. She wants to go to NC, but I don't like the heat and humidity. I suggested VA as a possibility. We both know for sure that we want out of the snow -- I live in the U.P. of Michigan where we get 300+ "/year, and she lives in NE PA, also a snowy area. We don't mind going some place that gets some snow, just not with winters that last from Oct. to June!! I have been checking out the Abingdon/Gate City/Bristol areas. Are these good areas to retire to? What areas of each should we avoid as single senior women? We will both have dogs so some place safe to walk them and let them run would be a necessity. Cultural events would be nice, but not a necessity. I don't have those now and I am living just fine without them, although I do enjoy them. Shopping wouldn't have to be real close, but not an hour away either. Thanks for any input you might have to offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,057,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper_gal View Post
My sister and I are looking for some place to retire to in about 15 years. She wants to go to NC, but I don't like the heat and humidity. I suggested VA as a possibility. We both know for sure that we want out of the snow -- I live in the U.P. of Michigan where we get 300+ "/year, and she lives in NE PA, also a snowy area. We don't mind going some place that gets some snow, just not with winters that last from Oct. to June!! I have been checking out the Abingdon/Gate City/Bristol areas. Are these good areas to retire to? What areas of each should we avoid as single senior women? We will both have dogs so some place safe to walk them and let them run would be a necessity. Cultural events would be nice, but not a necessity. I don't have those now and I am living just fine without them, although I do enjoy them. Shopping wouldn't have to be real close, but not an hour away either. Thanks for any input you might have to offer!
Some parts of NC in the mountains may have cooler summers than Virginia, due to the elevation - check it out carefully! But of course you get more snow that way too. (Tradeoffs, I know!)

Old 03-25-2013, 12:01 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,057,631 times
Incidentally, we picked Roanoke due to the size of the metro area - not too big, not too small. We are coming from TX so it will not feel warm to us! I'm sure someone will reply with specific thoughts about the communities you are suggesting.

Do a search also to read the older posts, of course!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:13 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,615,907 times
I saw on a news station last night a guy from NY being interviewed because of the "Palm Sunday Storm" that dumped a lot of snow in SW and Central Va. yesterday and last night. He said he was tired of snow. Not as much, even in the mountains, as you would have but still some.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:46 PM

181 posts, read 692,305 times
You really ought to check out Abingdon if you have not done any research. I'm a little biased as I grew up there and still go back to visit 2 or 3 times every year. The area is rich in history.

It's the home of the Barter Theatre (not spelled wrong) that puts on plays that rival Broadway. And their admission prices will not break the bank.

Google the Virginia Highlands Festival. It's been an annual event for over 60 years I believe. Also there is Plumb Alley Day Plumb Alley Day, Abingdon - Virginia Is For Lovers.

If you like to walk or ride a bike check out The Virginia Creeper Trail.

Arts and crafts check Heartwood > Home.

You will find many excellent places to eat....in both Abingdon and Bristol. Go Pop Ellis' Soda Shop on Main St. in Abingdon for a sandwich and milk shake. Or dine at The Tavern and enjoy prime rib in the oldest building in town. It dates back to the late 1700's. Check out the grass growing on the roof! If pizza is your thing try Bella's........hard to beat.

As far as shopping goes............if you can't find what you want at all the many places at Exit 7 on I-81 you really don't need it. It's about a 15 minute trip from Abingdon.

They have a new hospital that just opened about a year ago.

They do get a little snow but nothing like you are use to. The stats say 12.5 inches a year spread over 7.7 days.

I won't put down any place in SW Virginia because they are all beautiful but Abingdon is right on I-81 which makes it so easy to get to. Air travel is usually out of Tri Cities Airport 30 minutes away.

Go check it out.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:43 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMTN View Post
You really ought to check out Abingdon if you have not done any research. I'm a little biased as I grew up there and still go back to visit 2 or 3 times every year. The area is rich in history.

It's the home of the Barter Theatre (not spelled wrong) that puts on plays that rival Broadway. And their admission prices will not break the bank.

Google the Virginia Highlands Festival. It's been an annual event for over 60 years I believe. Also there is Plumb Alley Day Plumb Alley Day, Abingdon - Virginia Is For Lovers.

If you like to walk or ride a bike check out The Virginia Creeper Trail.

Arts and crafts check Heartwood > Home.

You will find many excellent places to eat....in both Abingdon and Bristol. Go Pop Ellis' Soda Shop on Main St. in Abingdon for a sandwich and milk shake. Or dine at The Tavern and enjoy prime rib in the oldest building in town. It dates back to the late 1700's. Check out the grass growing on the roof! If pizza is your thing try Bella's........hard to beat.

As far as shopping goes............if you can't find what you want at all the many places at Exit 7 on I-81 you really don't need it. It's about a 15 minute trip from Abingdon.

They have a new hospital that just opened about a year ago.

They do get a little snow but nothing like you are use to. The stats say 12.5 inches a year spread over 7.7 days.

I won't put down any place in SW Virginia because they are all beautiful but Abingdon is right on I-81 which makes it so easy to get to. Air travel is usually out of Tri Cities Airport 30 minutes away.

Go check it out.
I agree with literally everything said. I grew up in Bristol, VA and I always liked Abingdon a lot better. Abingdon is a beautiful town with tons of natural ammenities. I think it is one of the nicest places in the South. It retains a strong southern culture but you get away from the negatives you get deeper south like crazy heat and tons of mosquitos. Also...I'm not sure if it's still open but Abingdon used to have a restaurant called Peppermill that was pretty good.

But IMO...You can't beat Pal's Peach tea!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:20 PM

181 posts, read 692,305 times
Peppermill is still open.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,190 times
Thank you for the responses. I am kinda leaning towards Abingdon, not sure what my sister thinks yet. Of course, we will have to plan a road trip down there and check things out. I at first mentioned Bluefield, WV to her, but she didn't like the idea. We could check out that area of NC too. We aren't afraid of a little snow, we are just both getting a little tired of having to shovel it every day for months!! She drives a snowplow for the state of PA and I drive a bus for our local county transportation. Good excuse for a road trip and getting together. We usually plan a girls weekend in southern MI (1/2 way from both directions), but had to forgo it this year due to family emergency. Again, thanks for the responses.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper_gal View Post
Thank you for the responses. I am kinda leaning towards Abingdon, not sure what my sister thinks yet. Of course, we will have to plan a road trip down there and check things out. I at first mentioned Bluefield, WV to her, but she didn't like the idea. We could check out that area of NC too. We aren't afraid of a little snow, we are just both getting a little tired of having to shovel it every day for months!! She drives a snowplow for the state of PA and I drive a bus for our local county transportation. Good excuse for a road trip and getting together. We usually plan a girls weekend in southern MI (1/2 way from both directions), but had to forgo it this year due to family emergency. Again, thanks for the responses.
Avoid Bluefield wv/va...they really don't have a lot to offer. Mercer Mall in bluefield is the only shopping and it is a pretty depressing mall. Probably the only saving grace for Bluefield is its proximity to I77. I would definitely follow your leanings and look at Abingdon or Bristol. Tons more to do...nicer area...and growing...it has it all IMO.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:36 PM

7 posts, read 12,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I saw on a news station last night a guy from NY being interviewed because of the "Palm Sunday Storm" that dumped a lot of snow in SW and Central Va. yesterday and last night. He said he was tired of snow. Not as much, even in the mountains, as you would have but still some.

That "snow dump" was mainly in the New River Valley/Roanoke area- as we got very little here in Washington County Virginia. That's NOT to say that we never do- but the large snows are few and far between. A few ice storms in the past 10 years have wrecked more havoc but- like the tornado that touched down here in 2011- its something that happens once or twice in a lifetime- well the ice maybe a few more than the tornado's.
Highly agree with RSMHN- except that you have a few more quaint little areas that are as desirable around the Abingdon area and still stay within 10 to 15 miles of the "culture". The Appalachian trail runs through the area as does the Creeper Trail for walking local. Beautiful area to live. Check the photos on my profile for some eye stunning beauty. We are- for the most part and barring SOME of the retirees that have in-fluxed Abingdon in the past 10 years or so- a friendly bunch. I am not at all knocking "retirees" but some of them seem to think that being polite and respectful to others is to much of a hassle. A few of them need to get their noses out of the air and go back to their quarter of a million dollar homes and chill.
NC/TN/KY are in a days drive and the locals know places to go that the visitors brochures leave out.

Last edited by mymountainhome; 03-31-2013 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: Wrong name- RSMTN -sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia