Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 04:56 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,455,955 times

Advertisements

I expect McAuliffe to win fairly comfortably, but my expectations don't matter - polls, and endorsements, and certainly Internet chatter ... these don't matter.

The only poll that matters is next Tuesday's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,461,748 times
Interesting article:

In first month, the vast majority of Obamacare sign-ups are in Medicaid

Remember, the Feds only kick in subsidies to Medicaid for a limited time. Eventually, the state will be responsible for all the costs.

Check out the Maryland circles. 82,473 signed up for Medicaid v. 3,186 for private insurance.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:46 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,599,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Interesting article:

In first month, the vast majority of Obamacare sign-ups are in Medicaid

Remember, the Feds only kick in subsidies to Medicaid for a limited time. Eventually, the state will be responsible for all the costs.

Check out the Maryland circles. 82,473 signed up for Medicaid v. 3,186 for private insurance.
Welfare expansion is the key to Democratic victory (and why states like MD are dumpy).

I think as of a few years ago if you qualify for any one government service (like Medicaid) you automatically get more services like food stamps and such.

Keeps people in poverty and keeps them voting for their free stuff.

What happens when China stops buying US debt? None of these programs are funded.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:01 AM

And, of course, the cycle continues -- Democrats raise taxes, add more restrictions to doing business, increase union power, etc. Businesses relocate, fewer jobs, poorer people, and thus 82,000 now qualify for Medicaid. And these are ADDITIONAL to however many Marylanders were already on Medicaid.

The Federal government and then the state "subsidizes" the private insurance (or outright the Medicaid). How do we get the subsidy money? Raise taxes on the remaining people that are employed. And what happens to state taxes when the Federal government pulls out and says pay it, chumps.

Did you hear about the congressman who complained about his self-employed 33 year old son? He and his wife were "subsidizing" his insurance but oh the wonderment of Obamacare!! Now, he qualifies for GOVERNMENT subsidies. So, instead of the congressman helping for his "33 year old CHILD" all of us taxpayers get to pay for him.

I love the woman who lost her low-cost insurance -- "I was all for Obamacare until I found out I had to pay for it". I guess we're running out of other people's money.

McAulliffe will do everything in his power to turn Virginia into Maryland. Cuccinelli won't.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:53 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,599,416 times
As Ken Cuccinelli rebounds, Terry McAuliffe warns he could lose | WashingtonExaminer.com

Quote:
As Ken Cuccinelli rebounds, Terry McAuliffe warns he could lose

As the polls tighten in the Virginia gubernatorial race, Democrat Terry McAuliffe is dropping his front-runner swagger and warning that he could lose.

In an email to supporters meant to inspire them to vote, he said simply: “Ignore the polls.”
Rest at link.

Get scurred Terry.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:55 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,238,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
It behooves any candidate to motivate their side to vote and not just sit at home thinking a win is a foregone conclusion.

Meanwhile...

Nov 1:

CNU poll gives McAuliffe 7-point lead over Cuccinelli - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Election

Old 11-01-2013, 02:14 PM

The polls always tighten as Election Day approaches. McAulliffe's lead is shrinking. In case you've missed it, a lot of people are not very happy with Obamacare's rollout.

http://www.emersoncollegepollingsoci...LEASE_11_1.pdf

But Sarvis' voters just need to remember they will be turning Virginia into Maryland with higher taxes, unions, Medicaid enrollments, higher taxes, businesses and jobs leaving the state. If McAulliffe wins, it will be because of Robert Sarvis.

Did you catch the Post article about Montgomery County?(remember when it was the richest county in the country?) Since 2007, their food stamp enrollment is up 183%. How are those Democrat policies working for all but Potomac, Chevy Chase and Bethesda?

Old 11-01-2013, 04:51 PM

373 posts, read 871,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
The polls always tighten as Election Day approaches. McAulliffe's lead is shrinking. In case you've missed it, a lot of people are not very happy with Obamacare's rollout.

http://www.emersoncollegepollingsoci...LEASE_11_1.pdf

But Sarvis' voters just need to remember they will be turning Virginia into Maryland with higher taxes, unions, Medicaid enrollments, higher taxes, businesses and jobs leaving the state. If McAulliffe wins, it will be because of Robert Sarvis.

Did you catch the Post article about Montgomery County?(remember when it was the richest county in the country?) Since 2007, their food stamp enrollment is up 183%. How are those Democrat policies working for all but Potomac, Chevy Chase and Bethesda?
183% in 5 years?????? Actually, Fairfax county would be envious if their increase was that small. Try 228%.

Use of Food Stamps Skyrocketing in Northern Virginia

Old 11-01-2013, 05:21 PM

Wow -- that's is amazing. But I"m too surprised. I worked an event as part of a charity I volunteer with. There were young people there signing up people for SNAP. Working the crowd. Apparently, they have a quota to meet. Food stamps have doubled under this President so I guess Fairfax is no different.

See the other thread about Fairfax being a sanctuary county . . . following Montgomery's 15 year+ example. That's what happens when ex-blue staters move in and that's why Virginia is becoming like Maryland.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:53 AM

510 posts, read 431,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Why do people always equate "blue" states or more liberal leaning places to Detroit? What about California, specifically Northern California and Washington state that are blue, but are hot beds of innovation and technology along with lower crime rates and good quality of life. Although I don't want sky high taxes, I'm not so fixated on them like like a lot of people are in this country. I don't mind paying taxes as long as it goes to projects that work and are efficient. Like spending tax dollars toward public transit projects such as Metro or added VRE service vs. not spending tax money on them and being stuck with private toll roads, crappy roads, and endless traffic congestion.

I'm going to vote for Terry McAuliffe, mostly because of Cuccinelli and the "Bishop" see me as a second class citizen who is "mental" ill.
Seriously? You want to see VA become like Northern California? Have you visited Cal recently and traveled outside the tourist safe zones?

I live in the Bay Area and it's a giant mess of crappy roads, irate striking unions, bankrupt municipalities with large swaths of grinding, miserable imported poverty set around the elite fortress of SF proper and a few billionaire-club communities like Palo Alto. NORCAL is easily the biggest have versus have-not area in the country, if not the continent. The only thing keeping tech here is momentum and the fact that billionaires like the weather.

It's basically the opposite of NOVA as it exists today, which is a vast, boring swath of Fed-supported upper-middle class prosperity peppered with a few dense pockets of roughness.

Unless you're a billionaire you'd have to be "mentally ill" to think turning VA into NORCAL is a good idea.

Last edited by FabianS; 11-02-2013 at 05:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia