Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 AM

193 posts, read 512,511 times

Advertisements

Looking to move next Spring to Virginia and targeting the Floyd area. We've been down there twice already and liked this area as it was in the country yet close to bigger towns, Christiansburg/Blacksburg and Roanoke. I would appreciate any input from anyone who lives in this area as to your thoughts about the Floyd area, cities to look in and if indeed it is close to these bigger towns. Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 03:13 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,433 times
I'm not sure about close? It's about 40 miles up and over Bent Mountain to Roanoke from Floyd. Christiansburg and Blacksburg are closer and what I would call do-able daily drives. Roanoke, not so much. Bent Mountain is curly at it's best (I drive slow or I'd be just renting breakfast) and downright treacherous at it's worst.

I think Floyd is certainly a beautiful and very rural county that fits the bill for many folks. Shopping and grocery options are limited but if you're thinking of Floyd to begin with, that's not a showstopper If you're retired or telecommute then Floyd is a great option. If you would like a wee more access to Roanoke and would like your money to stretch far then don't rule out Craig County (north of I-81, minutes from north Roanoke and the ever growing mega mall / village that is Valley View). If you've got a little more money to spend and want some breathtaking pastoral beauty then look into Franklin County just east of Floyd over the Blue Ridge. We're in Boones Mill in the "Blackwater District", where the market is probably the hottest outside of the lake area, so land isn't a steal right now relative to Floyd County, but you can still get acreage for +/- $12K an acre in 5+ acre chunks off the beaten path. If you went a bit further west, closer to Floyd but still on the east side of the Blue Ridge (read: warmer) then you might consider the Callaway or Ferrum area. Ferrum would be convenient to Rocky Mount, VA, which is my favorite small town in the area (big town conveniences like Super Walmart, Lowes, growing # of restaurants, looming Crooked Road Ampitheatre, shopping, recreation, master gardeners, master naturalists galore).

Sean

Old 11-21-2007, 08:07 AM

Sean,
Thank you SO much for your advice. Certainly something to look into. I was hoping to find some kind of work in the Blacksburg/Christiansburg area. We're heading down south in March so will definitely check into these areas as well. Appreciate your help!

Old 11-22-2007, 08:21 AM

290 posts, read 637,356 times
Good job search site:

Blacksburg, VA jobs | Indeed.com

Old 11-23-2007, 09:01 AM

129 posts, read 460,555 times
I live in Floyd now, and previously lived in Willis in the western part of the county. Personally, I think daily commuting from Floyd to either Blacksburg or Roanoke is going to get old. I've done both. Gas isn't going to get any cheaper.

That said, if you can make a living, it's a nice enough town and county. The greatest thing about Floyd county is the bluegrass and old-time country music. I also like the local wines and some of the art scene. Make sure you discover the Country Store and the Jamboree, the County Sales music shop, the Winter Sun Music Hall and the Cafe del Sol, Oddfellas Cantina, the Jacksonville Center (and the June Bug Center if you have kids), Chateau Morrissette and of course Floyd Fest. For sports, there's generally solid FCHS Buffaloes football and softball, and rec leagues for younger kids playing basketball, baseball and softball. The public library is pretty good for a small county, and is currently being substantially expanded (by contrast, Craig County's library has shut down entirely).

For shopping, I recommend you support the locally-owned Slaughters grocery rather than Food Lion. Besides the other virtues of local business, at Slaughters, if you're wrangling little kids in the store, or just have a lot of stuff, they will actually take your groceries out to the car for you and load them. If you want a burger and fries, try D.J.'s Drive-In rather than Hardee's.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:22 AM

Thanks for all your posts...they are appreciated. What is the drive time (approx) from Floyd to Blacksburg? I currently drive an hour to get to work now in the Chicago area.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:21 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,433 times
I think it depends on where in Floyd you're driving from. Floyd is a big county. From the town of Floyd, to downtown Blacksburg, it's about 45 minutes. From the town of Floyd to downtown Christiansburg, it's about 30 minutes. In bad weather (nothing like Chicago, but expect at least 7 white knuckle driving days a year) it can take much longer.

On the other hand, if you buy near Check, VA (in NE Floyd County) you're about 45 minutes from Roanoke and 30 minutes from Christiansburg. But then you're 20 minutes from downtown Floyd.

Sean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia