Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,162 times

Advertisements

I am not terribly familiar with the state, except for the urban sprawl around DC which I passionately want to avoid. I am looking for land/real estate that is reasonable in cost (I am relocating from South Carolina) I have been operating a traditional dog boarding kennel for the last eight years. I want to find a community that would appreciate and support my ambition to run a smaller niche boarding establishment that has a more homey cagefree atmosphere (this type of boarding is more expensive and high end so the demographics of the area would have to support this kind of enterprise). I would prefer a country location with easy access to a small city that has some culture, fine dining, interesting things to do. And I need an area that is dog friendly.

I would particularly appreciate input from dog people who feel their area is underserved as far as quality pet lodging goes. My specialties are the toy/small breeds, geriatric and special needs dogs, and sighthounds. But I digress. I am an eclectic person and South Carolina and I have just not mixed. I also miss the occasional snow, and true fall foliage and crisp autumn air. I will look forward to input. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 04:03 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Winchester might be what you are looking for. Growing city with plenty of country around it. Not the wealthiest city in VA but it certainly seeing a increase in wealth. I believe there is a shortage of reputable kennels in the area as well.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 AM

203 posts, read 413,038 times
Smile Be careful what you look for ... you might find it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoonknl1 View Post
I am not terribly familiar with the state, except for the urban sprawl around DC which I passionately want to avoid.
Before you make a trip from SC to NOVA and discover firsthand the true reality of serious "urban sprawl", it might be wise to research areas that you think may interest you by contacting Chambers of Commerce in your potential target communities, and also by checking statistics in City-Data and other resources.

Each of us who use this Forum have our own opinions, but you need to clearly define what you seek, in your own mind, and then express it clearly so others who want to help can understand what you mean.

I will try to suggest several areas in Virginia that may be suitable for your needs. However, I can't help but notice that some of your requests seem to be mutually exclusive, or highly unlikely.

You tell us you want to establish a business in some new location, the nature of which will be:

Quote:
... more expensive and high end so the demographics of the area would have to support this kind of enterprise ...
However, you have also told us:

Quote:
I am looking for land/real estate that is reasonable in cost ...
So are you really expecting to find affluent demographics in "bargain basement" real estate?

The more affluent neighborhoods generally tend to be in (or near) heavily populated areas. DC's "urban sprawl" (or that of any other medium-to-large city) tend to be caused by a neighborhood's affluence.

That having been said, let's consider what areas in Virginia might be suitable for you, to wit:

Quote:
... I would prefer a country location with easy access to a small city that has some culture, fine dining, interesting things to do. [and] I also miss the occasional snow, and true fall foliage and crisp autumn air. ...
You probably don't find very much snow or crisp autumn air in South Carolina. However, most of Virginia has plenty of both. Many of the best areas for fall foliage are along the Blue Ridge Parkway (or nearby).

Possible locations that may appeal to you in VA might include the following:

Fauquier County, near Warrenton (the County Seat).

Culpeper County, near the Town of Culpeper.

Loudoun County, near Leesburg.

In and around the City of Roanoke.

Charlottesville suburbs.

Harrisonburg area.

Luray.

Sperryville.

Richmond suburbs are nice too.

Most Virginians like dogs ... or cats ... or both. Most jurisdictions do require vaccinations and dog tags these days. Some jurisdictions have leash laws. We don't have nearly as many alligators here as you find in South Carolina.

You can get demographic details about any of these places in Wikipedia, and/or at the US Census Bureau website. For those areas that look appealing to you, contact local Chambers of Commerce for additional details, and begin checking real estate prices.

Good luck, and happy hunting.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:06 PM

75 posts, read 148,466 times
Quote:
I am not terribly familiar with the state, except for the urban sprawl around DC which I passionately want to avoid. I am looking for land/real estate that is reasonable in cost (I am relocating from South Carolina) I have been operating a traditional dog boarding kennel for the last eight years. I want to find a community that would appreciate and support my ambition to run a smaller niche boarding establishment that has a more homey cagefree atmosphere (this type of boarding is more expensive and high end so the demographics of the area would have to support this kind of enterprise). I would prefer a country location with easy access to a small city that has some culture, fine dining, interesting things to do. And I need an area that is dog friendly.

I would particularly appreciate input from dog people who feel their area is underserved as far as quality pet lodging goes. My specialties are the toy/small breeds, geriatric and special needs dogs, and sighthounds. But I digress. I am an eclectic person and South Carolina and I have just not mixed. I also miss the occasional snow, and true fall foliage and crisp autumn air. I will look forward to input. Thanks so much.
Hi,
I adore dogs and have my own and also do voluntary dog boarding for deployed military and also do some dog training...Am planning to move to South Carolina. Was your discomfort there to do with your profession? I can't go anywhere where there is a hostility to dogs...

Old 08-21-2014, 09:39 AM

137 posts, read 218,489 times
Ive found VA to be a very dog friendly state.

Try areas around Wincehster, Harrisonburg, Cville, and Roanoke.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
The OP posted in April and never came back. Likely won't at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia