Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 12:52 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times

Advertisements

I may have a job offer in Williamsburg, but I don't really want to live in Williamsburg. Too many retirees and college students for my liking.

Does anyone commute from Richmond to Williamsburg? Are there any other areas I should consider living? Newport News looks like it may be a good place to live as well, and it would be shorter commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 03:19 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,547,230 times
Plenty of people commute up and down the Peninsula.

The problem with commuting between Newport News and Williamsburg is the construction on 64 going down that supposedly makes traffic AWFUL (I say supposedly because I haven't seen it myself). There are other options, like maybe Yorktown.

Just be warned- commuting from Richmond will likely take an hour one-way, and any accidents between Richmond and Williamsburg are going to basically nuke your commute.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,778,033 times
For exactly the reasons you say, approximately a million people commute from Richmond to Williamsburg. If you are under 55 and looking for an exciting place to live, Richmond is a much better fit. It's a 50 minute commute or so, generally counter Friday traffic.

If all you want is suburbs, I'd stay in Newport News/Williamsburg area. Obviously lots of people commute from Newport News to Williamsburg, but that's generally for financial reasons - houses are cheaper in Newport News. Of the 2, Williamsburg is generally considered a much nicer place to live (to what extent this is fair is another discussion, which you can probably find on here)

Old 03-31-2016, 10:27 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I may have a job offer in Williamsburg, but I don't really want to live in Williamsburg. Too many retirees and college students for my liking.

Does anyone commute from Richmond to Williamsburg? Are there any other areas I should consider living? Newport News looks like it may be a good place to live as well, and it would be shorter commute.
Try posting in the Hampton Roads forum. That's where the area you are asking about is located. Were you offed a teaching position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia