Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 06:42 PM

122 posts, read 261,732 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently live in Southern Utah and are looking to relocate. We have sold our home and are ready to move in the next 2 months.

My husband just wanted to know if what we are looking for can be found in VA. Currently we have been focused on New England/NY but coming from our weather and our low taxes my husband wanted to check out VA.

Our main reason for moving is healthcare. We drive 600-850 miles for care right now. Our main needs is access to a local (for me local would be 45 miles) neurologist, endocrinology and rhematolgist. I know that there is care for our family's genetic condition in Richmond and Baltimore we could see (that would be like once or twice a year so I do not mind longer travel for that).

I would like a house close to 200k so I could pay cash. My husband is very handy, he has built a house himself from the foundation up before. It is a house for us and our son (who has some medical issues) and we have a daughter who has one year left in high school. I'm not looking for a mansion or granite or stainless steel and I don't care if the bathroom is pink or blue, my husband can change those things over time. 3 bedrooms, safe neighborhood, a garage or basement for some storage.

We need good internet. Don't know how silly a question this is in VA but in southern Utah some million dollar homes have no DSL or broadband options! The internet is a deal breaker. Our son has epilepsy and will never drive and works from home without good solid fast internet , he would lose his job.

A decent community college or some sort of place my son could attend if needed to keep up or get any new computer certifications for his job, This could be 30-45 minutes away. It would not be needed all the time, just in case.

Not to bring up something sensitive but our children are a different races. Utah has been nothing but wonderfully accepting, it is kind of cool I guess to be different? My kids except for travel have had little exposure to people of their own race and of course they see news on TV and get nervous. My daughter will be going off to college out of state but our son will be with us because of his medical issues for years.

We plan on driving through in VA in May, I have booked homes on Zillow and tried to research internet, schools , doctors but everything is made to look good online. If you were to google my current city it would look like world class healthcare but in reality many families like us are driving 600-850 miles for pretty basic needs. Thanks for any advice of places that are good or bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 06:46 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,991,296 times
Charlottesville?

Old 04-03-2019, 07:26 PM

2,285 posts, read 4,086,175 times
Cost of living in Roanoke is fairly low - and it is a health care center for a pretty large region - and the natural setting is splendid. Keep it as a possibility on your list

Old 04-03-2019, 08:13 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,444,502 times
Charlottesville can get expensive but is a good area. Do you want rural? Suburban? Mountains? Closer to the coast? Roanoke would have a lot to offer but also look at Lynchburg and Richmond. I think you can find homes in your price range if you stay away from Northern Virginia. Also, you will find the tax situation much better than New England or NY. There is a good community college system in Virginia and if you are near an urban area, Internet should not be an issue. Just be careful about it if you are looking rural areas.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:03 PM

122 posts, read 261,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Charlottesville can get expensive but is a good area. Do you want rural? Suburban? Mountains? Closer to the coast? Roanoke would have a lot to offer but also look at Lynchburg and Richmond. I think you can find homes in your price range if you stay away from Northern Virginia. Also, you will find the tax situation much better than New England or NY. There is a good community college system in Virginia and if you are near an urban area, Internet should not be an issue. Just be careful about it if you are looking rural areas.

As long as I can access medical care and get decent internet I am open to any setting. Right now I am living rural landlocked and a big yard is .20 acre so I am used to small yards but open to buying a riding mower. I have lived in city with very little retail, and have learned to live with it , again would be nice to have stores closer or at least 2 day amazon service. At least one store besides a walmart within 30 minutes to buy jeans, a bra, makeup things I would like to buy in person.

I had homes around Richmond bookmarked and Charlottesville but I just did not know how safe he area was? and if my kids would feel welcome and safe. Also I wanted to make sure neurology is accessible. SC is rated an F (same as my current city), and now NC is getting a

The taxes are one of the reasons I took a second look. I paid $1200 a year on a 6 bedroom 400k home in S. Utah and in MA a 3 bedroom 220k home is $6800! and that $6800 never goes away or should I say always goes up!

I had friends from college do political internships and live in Northern Virginia so I know that area is way too expensive. Lucky me took an internship that brought me to rural Utah!

Old 04-04-2019, 06:30 AM

1,026 posts, read 924,551 times
You will be safe in both Richmond and Charlottesville and your children will have no problems being accepted because of their race. Great internet options in and around Richmond and its pretty diverse. For Richmond, I would say look into Western Henrico County(areas like Laurel, Tuckahoe, Three Chopt, Glen Allen, etc), Midlothian, Mechanicsville and Ashland. I would also throw out Williamsburg as an option. Love that town.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:41 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,284,925 times
There is a page here for Charlottesville so you may want to visit it. While UVA is top notch when it comes to medical care the city itself has gone downhill. I'm talking the downtown area. Live in the country and you'd be fine.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:45 AM

7,195 posts, read 6,870,995 times
The other posters gave good advice. The only thing I would add is that based on your needs, definitely avoid southern VA (the area west of I-95 between US-460 and the NC state line).

Old 04-17-2019, 07:01 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,634,920 times
I feel ya on the doctor issue, good luck.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:45 AM

6,389 posts, read 4,263,792 times
Based on your want list, I believe Roanoke would be a better fit than Charlottesville for several reasons. One of which would be real estate prices ( cost of living in general) and I think you’re really be hard pressed to find a home ( even though hubby’s handy) in the Charlottesville area for $200K.

We looked there as well before deciding on the Roanoke area so we’re definitely partial but feel we made the right decision based on the medical systems, cost of living, real estate prices, proximity to a decent city, and all of the outdoor activities.

Do your research and determine what’s best for you and your family.,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia