Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2019, 06:24 PM

74 posts, read 121,680 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

So I was talking to a friend of mine who recently moved from Virginia to California and I was telling her that we were considering a move to Virginia. I was picking her brain a bit about differences and she was basically saying that California is so much better than Virginia and that it felt like being on vacation everyday here. Which threw me for a loop because Virginia seems so much better to me than California but I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. But the one thing that really disturbed me was that she made it sound like mosquitos are a major problem there and you basically have to lather on DEET all the time or risk getting diseases from them. So I'm not sure if it's really all that bad or if it's just really bad compared to here (basically no mosquitos). Can anyone enlighten me as to just what it's like on Virginia on the bug front?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 06:36 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
I suppose it depends on how sensitive you are to them, as well as how much time you spend in a swampy area.

I moved to Virginia from California more than 20 years ago, and have never gotten a disease from mosquitoes. I don't think they're all that bad, but they are a fact of life and you'll probably be glad you used repellant if you like to do outdoor sports, relax on your deck, or go hiking. There may be a few spots that are worse than others, you'll learn soon enough which areas to avoid (usually places with standing water). I remember this one park in Loudoun County that we loved but it was not the place to go around dusk. But other than a few places like that, I wouldn't really call them horrible. They are most active at dawn and dusk, so if you hate them those are good times to stay inside.

ps. California has mosquitoes in a few spots, too. I went to this one party in the tree section of Manhattan Beach and we all had to beat a hasty retreat indoors because they were so bad.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:39 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,969,854 times
last year the Galliniper Mosquitoes took over:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psorophora_ciliata

it is due to the unusually wet weather in 2018.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:16 PM

Okay good to know. Also I heard something about a mosquito species that is really invasive which is taking over and comes out at all times of day. I forget the name of it. But it sounds like they aren't too bad if a nuisance. Still, very different to get used to having to put repellent on every time I step outdoors. What a pain.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:22 PM

On the bright side, you'll enjoy the fireflies.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:07 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,735 times
I’m prone to mosquito bites (I don’t know why but some people attract them more than others) and I have never had a mosquito-related disease that I’m aware of. I have been in Virginia for over 20 years by the way. I view them more a nuisance like flies rather than something to keep me from an activity.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indecisive2012 View Post
Still, very different to get used to having to put repellent on every time I step outdoors. What a pain.

Soon enough it becomes as easy as always putting on a seat belt when you drive a car.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:13 AM

Ok I feel much better now guys thank you! And the thought of fireflies is really appealing! I've always wanted to see some but didn't know if they were very prevalent in Virginia or not.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:20 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,659,108 times
No problem from October-May. More or less. But you'll save enuff in one gas fill up to buy Deet for the year.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:55 PM

10 posts, read 10,026 times
Some people seem to attract mosquitoes more than others...hopefully you're one of the lucky ones! If you're from California though, the mosquitoes here will probably be like a major annoyance in the summer. If you're doing yard work or even just sitting on your porch, you will end up with mosquito bites if you're not wearing long sleeves or using bug spray. I personally like the greenery of the east compared to the brown, desert-y landscape of the west - but socal really does have near perfect weather for much of the year, and that includes no bugs outside. Honestly, that would be a non-trivial consideration for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia