Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 05:49 PM

1,110 posts, read 898,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'm only going to say. I wish NOVA would break off and become either its own state or just join DC.
That's been mentioned before (actually Virginia split once before into West Virginia and Virginia). North Virginia would need to include Richmond or at least Fredericksburg and Hampton, Va Beach and Williamsburg, and stretch to West Virginia and down to perhaps Lexington, while South Virginia (which is more like the Old South) would take the rest. However, since most of the wealth is in Northern Virginia, South Virginia would be a relatively poor state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 05:58 PM

1,110 posts, read 898,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You've been drinking the parties Kool-Aid for too long but that's ok, ain't like its been a bed of roses with the outgoing crowd either...
Yes, what with the trans-vag**nal ultrasounds, and what have you....

Old 11-07-2019, 06:21 PM

1,045 posts, read 760,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
Proud to be a Virginian today.
I bet you are! I'm happy for you. Hope NC turns blue but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:23 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,621,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
North Carolina will welcome nice Virginia refugees like you. Virginia looks set to become the first state to ban the AR-15. Your view on life doesn’t matter , NOVA has final say .
You're joking right? You do know the NRA is headquartered here in Northern Virginia- That will never happen. Stop with the theatrics.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 11-07-2019 at 06:37 PM..

Old 11-08-2019, 08:41 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
That's been mentioned before (actually Virginia split once before into West Virginia and Virginia). North Virginia would need to include Richmond or at least Fredericksburg and Hampton, Va Beach and Williamsburg, and stretch to West Virginia and down to perhaps Lexington, while South Virginia (which is more like the Old South) would take the rest. However, since most of the wealth is in Northern Virginia, South Virginia would be a relatively poor state.
The vast majority of Virginia is probably not much better off than Mississipi. I live a mile from the Bristol, VA line. There's nothing of note between Bristol and Roanoke, and that's a bit more than a two hour drive.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:00 AM

33 posts, read 27,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
Proud to be a Virginian today.
agreed

Old 11-08-2019, 01:13 PM

19,248 posts, read 17,124,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor56 View Post
My gosh what cesspool did this extremist blog site crawl out of!

Old 11-08-2019, 08:51 PM

76 posts, read 91,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
While NOVA has been sending progressive politicians to the General Assembly for years, this '19 election saw a continuation of VA's blue suburban shift in communities beyond the DC area in Richmond and Hampton Roads, flipping the statehouse. Democrats will now control all statewide offices, the legislature, hold the majority of the congressional delegation, including both senators. And Democrats will now be able to draw legislative district lines for the coming decade that could consolidate their power, and pass new gun-control restrictions, LGBT protections, minimum-wage laws and other agenda items. Probably the most consequential change is the power of the gerrymander, should they utilize it as Republicans have in the past.

Politics aside, how will this new reality (as a blue state) practically impact life in the Commonwealth or not at all?
I live the very rural and red Republican area of VA. I live in a small town of Marion, which is near Bristol, VA. I wish I could experience more of the blue parts. The only times I experienced liberalism in VA was when I was a student at Radford University (the campus was liberal) and Roanoke for 2 years after graduation.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:53 PM

76 posts, read 91,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The vast majority of Virginia is probably not much better off than Mississipi. I live a mile from the Bristol, VA line. There's nothing of note between Bristol and Roanoke, and that's a bit more than a two hour drive.
I live in Marion, VA, I totally get what you are saying.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:03 AM

25 posts, read 25,696 times
Finally, pushing Virginia into the 21st century. I also think it will help attract business and relocation as people up north still think Virginia is a Southern-like state. You really see the difference during an election year. In 2016, outside the Beltway there were Trump signs everywhere-whereas people in Northern Virginia resorted to hiding their signs by bushes, etc. I came here from Chicago and I'm finally settling in after 16 years. The area has changed a lot both good and bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia