Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 06:10 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times

Advertisements

And now I need to correct something that I posted above that was wrong. The new case rates in NYC peaked up a bit over 100 back in the spring and have recently peaked up again in that same range, NOT the 1000 that I claimed. My apologies for that! It probably actually was higher than the records indicate in that early peak, as the level of testing being done at that time was not nearly as comprehensive as the testing being done by mid-year of 2020, and some number of cases were going unconfirmed.

Another thought for the OP. SC is probably going to be safer for this going forward than VA. It is simply due to the fact that the penetration of the virus into the population in SC is almost 40-45% more advanced than in VA, based on the % of population that has had confirmed cases. VA is likely to see a longer sustained infection rate due to this; only a rapid proliferation of the vaccine would significantly change that, and VA is not doing a stellar job so far of getting vaccines out. They are finally catching up, but will eventually face what everyone will face: running up against the production limits of making the vaccines, until other manufacturers, like Johnson & Johnson, get approved and come on line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 02:00 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter1162 View Post
You'd be closer to the DC area from Charlottesville than Richmond. It could take 3-4 hours on a weekend to get from Richmond to DC. Terrible traffic on I-95 -- plus they are over 100 miles away.

This isn't true at all. It is a minimum of 2 hours 15 minutes from Charlottesville to DC; and that puts you on 66E for over 30 miles. 66 is just as bad as 95, arguably worse; so if 95 is backed up and it's taking 3-4 hours from Richmond to DC; you can be sure 66 is also backed up and adding 1-2 hours, too.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:52 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post

Another thought for the OP. SC is probably going to be safer for this going forward than VA. It is simply due to the fact that the penetration of the virus into the population in SC is almost 40-45% more advanced than in VA, based on the % of population that has had confirmed cases. VA is likely to see a longer sustained infection rate due to this; only a rapid proliferation of the vaccine would significantly change that, and VA is not doing a stellar job so far of getting vaccines out. They are finally catching up, but will eventually face what everyone will face: running up against the production limits of making the vaccines, until other manufacturers, like Johnson & Johnson, get approved and come on line.
I agree with the above.

There are two issues here. (1) Whether you would like one southern state more than another - would Virginia be a better fit than SC? (2) Would it make a difference to move now?

This weekend I drove round trip to NY. It's sad because NY has changed so much. I have no idea what NY will be like after covid. However, it will not be the NY I knew. Many independent shops and restaurants are gone. The remaining ones are holding on by a thread - for now. Any live entertainment, movie theaters, museums, libraries are closed.

Newburyport will not be the same as you remember.

As for friendliness, I love the South for its politeness. Now good manners isn't always an indication of real friendliness, but I'll take it.

After the virus broke out in NY, I kept a small circle of friends who I knew for over a decade. We talked outside briefly- six feet away. Since I moved to Virginia, I spoken to a few neighbors for two minutes while passing outside. This isn't a time to make friends.

Frankly, I moved closer to my kids. I'm thrilled to see them a couple of times a week. When everyone is healthy, then I'll expand my social circle.

I think a lot depends on how long you lived in SC and if you made close friends before covid? If you were in SC for a decade and didn't make close friends - I would leave in heartbeat. If you lived in SC for a year before covid and didn't have time to make close friends that is different.

As a note: Yesterday, there was a lot of Mass plates driving down on 95. Are they are they Tom Brady fans driving down to Tampa? Don't know, but it was interesting.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 02-07-2021 at 07:10 PM..

Old 02-07-2021, 09:41 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I used to live near Newburyport MA and I think I can say there is no place like it. I miss it a lot--the beauty, the architecture, the history, the ocean, the cute shops and restaurants, the friendly people, and everything else. I hate Bawston and I never went there except for the museums. But Newburyport, wow. Proximity to Maine and New Hampshire were priceless, visiting Cape Ann in the summer, an unmatched experience. I could go on and on.

All I can say is stay away from Hampton Roads. That's the only part of VA with which I am familiar because family lives there. They will probably move to Williamsburg when they retire. I think the Williamsburg, Yorktown area may be pretty good but someone on here will have to fill in the blanks.

Old 02-08-2021, 04:50 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

All I can say is stay away from Hampton Roads. That's the only part of VA with which I am familiar because family lives there. They will probably move to Williamsburg when they retire. I think the Williamsburg, Yorktown area may be pretty good but someone on here will have to fill in the blanks.
You do know that Williamsburg and Yorktown are in Hampton Roads?

Old 02-08-2021, 07:42 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I agree with the above.

There are two issues here. (1) Whether you would like one southern state more than another - would Virginia be a better fit than SC? (2) Would it make a difference to move now?

This weekend I drove round trip to NY. It's sad because NY has changed so much. I have no idea what NY will be like after covid. However, it will not be the NY I knew. Many independent shops and restaurants are gone. The remaining ones are holding on by a thread - for now. Any live entertainment, movie theaters, museums, libraries are closed.

Newburyport will not be the same as you remember.

As for friendliness, I love the South for its politeness. Now good manners isn't always an indication of real friendliness, but I'll take it.

After the virus broke out in NY, I kept a small circle of friends who I knew for over a decade. We talked outside briefly- six feet away. Since I moved to Virginia, I spoken to a few neighbors for two minutes while passing outside. This isn't a time to make friends.

Frankly, I moved closer to my kids. I'm thrilled to see them a couple of times a week. When everyone is healthy, then I'll expand my social circle.

I think a lot depends on how long you lived in SC and if you made close friends before covid? If you were in SC for a decade and didn't make close friends - I would leave in heartbeat. If you lived in SC for a year before covid and didn't have time to make close friends that is different.

As a note: Yesterday, there was a lot of Mass plates driving down on 95. Are they are they Tom Brady fans driving down to Tampa? Don't know, but it was interesting.
All good points. The two main reasons we are considering leaving are we are hurricane weary - it is enormously stressful, difficult, expensive and disruptive to be evacuating every year - waiting to see which way the hurricane is heading, trying to book a pet-friendly hotel along with thousands of other people, getting the house prepped, boarded up and packed and then navigating clogged highways with all the other people evacuating, while tending to a old dog that doesn't travel well.

That, and the incease in violent gun crime (shootings and murders) that has now seeped into the historic downtown Charleston area even in broad daylight. We're not used to that kind of crime.

We have no intention of moving anytime soon. We are at high risk for the virus, so have not even been able to venture out of the house. We are just tryng to do our due diligence so that when we travel and visit theses places we have a game plan and are not just wandering around aimlessly.

From what we have determined, VA offers a good balance of nice weather, amenities and favorable taxes compared to some other Southern states (NC). Not as good as SC, but we feel we would be getting more in VA. Are there less expensive East Coast states? Yes, but we really have no interest in venturing further south to GA or FL. We like the mid-atlantic region, but it is PA and MD are pricier than VA and there isn't enough in DE for us.

I too like the politeness of the south. Yes, we have made many friends here. Our street has people from TN, KY, IL, MI, CT NC and everywhere in between. It is a transplant rich area, so it is easy to make friends. A group of neighbors started a walking group which I joined, and 8-10 of us (and our husbands) now frequently get together for dinner out, parties at each other's houses, etc.

They are the type of people that come help us board the house up during hurricanes, got groceries for us when my husband was in the hospital and have driven us to the airport "just because". We have didn't have as many neighbors like that in MA. I loved MA and Newburyport, but at this stage of my life have no desire to go back there due to the COL and weather.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:47 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,561 times
An airplane could crash on I95 and it still wouldn’t take 3-4 hours to get to DC from Richmond.
From my doorstep in Jackson Ward, I can get to the Pentagon in 90 minutes. On a bad day, 2 hours max.
The trip back FEELS like 3-4 hours (south bound is always much worse) but the reality is it takes 2.5 max even with the worst traffic.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:06 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,778,033 times
Richmond or Charlottesville would suit you.

I'm from Boston. Moved from the South End to Richmond, no regrets

Old 02-10-2021, 06:55 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Richmond or Charlottesville would suit you.

I'm from Boston. Moved from the South End to Richmond, no regrets
Thanks. We're not city people so would not live in Richmond proper. Any suggestions on which burbs might offer what we are looking for?

Old 02-10-2021, 07:27 AM

1,023 posts, read 912,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
This isn't true at all. It is a minimum of 2 hours 15 minutes from Charlottesville to DC; and that puts you on 66E for over 30 miles. 66 is just as bad as 95, arguably worse; so if 95 is backed up and it's taking 3-4 hours from Richmond to DC; you can be sure 66 is also backed up and adding 1-2 hours, too.
They've never been to Richmond before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia