Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:32 PM

20 posts, read 160,843 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at moving from Florida to somewhere less HOT. We are curious about two areas- Virginia Beach and Richmond. First, V Beach - how conservative of an area is it? We are a bit more liberal to moderate. We just want a nice place that is liveable and not radical to the right or left. How is the housing market? More affordable than NOVA?

Same questions about Richmond, but more concerns. Have read many different web sites that state there is a lot of racial tension and the two types of people are "snobs and red neck snobs" This was a quote from a " best cities in North America" not mine. Also, it seems to be ranked very high in crime too. But on the other hand it is ranked as one of America's most liveable, best places to relocate to...So I thought I'd ask for some honest opions.

We just want a place to raise a family, have some culture nearby, experience nature while not living in the sticks and most importantly have four seasons.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2006, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 43,733 times
Hey NatureLover,

Just wanted to hit on a few things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelover
My husband and I are looking at moving from Florida to somewhere less HOT. We are curious about two areas- Virginia Beach and Richmond. First, V Beach - how conservative of an area is it? We are a bit more liberal to moderate. We just want a nice place that is liveable and not radical to the right or left. How is the housing market? More affordable than NOVA?
-No. 1 on the "Best Cities for Women" list (big cities), Ladies' Home Journal, 2002-

Virginia Beach favors the right to the left, but we are surely not radical in either way. I've lived here for 18 years, so I hope I would have picked up on that by now. The housing market it healthy and definitely more affordable than Northern VA. What were you looking to spend? I could email you a couple of listings in the area that fit what you're looking for.

Quote:
Same questions about Richmond, but more concerns. Have read many different web sites that state there is a lot of racial tension and the two types of people are "snobs and red neck snobs" This was a quote from a " best cities in North America" not mine. Also, it seems to be ranked very high in crime too. But on the other hand it is ranked as one of America's most liveable, best places to relocate to...So I thought I'd ask for some honest opions.
By law, I can't steer you towards a place or away from it, but I will provide some websites for you to look at and base decisions off of.

[url]http://www.morganquitno.com/cit99safe.htm[/url] - crime related
[url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6555449/[/url] - crime related
[url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12954585/[/url] - driving related

As far as liberal v. conservative...Richmond voted liberal in that last two presidential elections...it's pretty far to the left according to it's recent political history.

Quote:
We just want a place to raise a family, have some culture nearby, experience nature while not living in the sticks and most importantly have four seasons.

Thanks for the help!
If I were in your shoes, I would favor Virginia Beach over Richmond. Prices are a little better, there is a bit more to do with your children in Virginia Beach.

Let me know if there is any other information I can pass on to you.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at [email]bboyd@roseandwomble.com[/email]

Old 05-30-2006, 11:09 AM

240 posts, read 1,021,803 times
Default Richmond v Va Beach

I lived in Richmond for a while. I hated it. I ended up moving to NOVA. That was before the prices where so expense. I stayed in the Va Beach a few years between college. I loved it. Va Beach, Norfolk, Cheseapeake, you should definately find something affordable.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 22,641 times
Might I suggest Charlottesville VA? It's moderate-to-liberal being a college town (the University of VA is located there). Frommer's Cities ranked it "Best Place to Live in America" in 2004. You can check out their web site at www.charlottesville.org.

A little disclaimer: I don't live in C'ville or work there and am not in anyway associated with them. I just live about a half hour away from there which is how I know about it.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:40 PM

20 posts, read 160,843 times
Thanks for all of the info - Our price range for homes is 250 - 300K.

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2006, 12:58 AM
Tom

4 posts, read 75,719 times
Dear Nature Lover, Someone mentioned Charlottesville as a wonderful place, and they are right. However, housing costs there are as high as Florida. May I suggest Stanton, a half hour to the west in the Shenandoah Valley. It is lovely, affordable, and quite progressive. There are quite a number of newcomers to the area, but happily, they have bought existing houses rather than new tract housing that is a blight anywhere you go. It truly is worth a look.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 19,334 times
My husband and I currently live in Texas and are looking to move to Virginia for the weather and nature. We're wanting a place with people our age (late 20s) that has plenty of nature things to do as well as night life. Any suggestions?

Old 11-02-2009, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 22,582 times
Default To Brookells

Virginia is for Nature Lovers: Ocean, Chesapeake Bay, Mountains, and more.
Now - as a couple in your 20's, finding nightlife and nature in the same venue is going to be a challenge. Your best bet may be the major college towns of Charlottesville and Blacksburg. Wages in college towns tend to be low. Northern Virgina has good jobs, and good nightlife, but nature takes a backseat to subdivisions and highways. Come visit - the size of Virginia will fool you. It isn't Texas, but it spans from the Atlantic Ocean to as far west
as Columbus, Ohio.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 14,455 times
i want to move to virginia beach with my husband and 2 preschoolers, my husband is an electrician, we are looking to rent an apartment was wondering if there are many 3 bdrm apartments to rent down there?

Old 05-02-2011, 11:49 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking to move downsouth View Post
i want to move to virginia beach with my husband and 2 preschoolers, my husband is an electrician, we are looking to rent an apartment was wondering if there are many 3 bdrm apartments to rent down there?

Have you done your homework on the price of rentals in Virginia Beach?

They are very high compared to many other nicer cities.

I was told this is because a majority of rentals go to military familes who basically get government subsidies to offset the price, so landlords charge a much higher rate than they could get away with in other cities. We couldn't find anything within an hour of Virginia Beach that we thought was worth the price charged. It was really ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia