Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 07:14 PM

3 posts, read 11,360 times

Advertisements

i am currently thinking of moving to virginia but im not sure which area. i like ashland but i dont know much about it, im also considering hampton, hopewell, natural bridge, and fairfax. i need some help. im looking for an area that is not to far from a beach, i would prefer to live outside of a city instead of in the middle of it, i grew up in the country so i would like to stay in a lite country setting, but with stuff around for things to do. also a place where jobs are good. i have a daughter so a really good elementary school is a definite possibly one with after school daycare options. but at the same time i would like to live in a place that is exciting. if anyone has any ideas please let me know im anticipating on moving at the end of june.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 07:18 PM

8 posts, read 29,145 times
Default Fairfax???????????

Well bring your pocket book if you move to Fairfax, very expensive, taxes are high and not much country left there if any.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:44 PM

213 posts, read 1,020,432 times
price range? what type of "good job"?
the places you mentioned are truly different from each other - which is fine, but seems to not make sense - have you visited these palces? What has made you choose Va? Where are you moving from? Va has many wonderful communities in all types of price ranges offering a wide variety of amenities. So do many other states. Keep in mind any place with excellent schools usually has higher priced housing. tell us a little more, especially price range and if buying or renting. good luck

Old 04-06-2007, 04:50 AM

3 posts, read 11,360 times
im moving from upstate new york, i will be renting for right now, i would like to stay around 500 a month till i get a good job, im doing this all alone so its a big step for just me and my daughter. i have not visited these places but these are the ones that are most appealing, im going down next weekend to visit some places but i thought it would be nice to get some opinions of people who live there. i chose virginia because its closest to new york but has nice weather, my daughters father is staying in new york so im trying to stay as close as i can for driving distance.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:55 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
At $500 a month, you should probably just scratch Fairfax off the list. There simply isn't anything livable (particularly when with children) for close to that amount in this area. The bottom for a small but at least decent one-bedroom would probably be around $800, and finding actually available places at that level would be hard to do. You might snag a Room-to-Let in someone's house for $500, but a small child will not be much of a plus in that endeavor. There are probably more 'good jobs' available in Fairfax than in some of the other areas you mentioned, but until you have one of them and can afford to knock the rent commitment up a couple of notches, the Fairfax City area is going to be a very tough go as far as housing is concerned...

Old 04-06-2007, 05:07 PM

8 posts, read 29,145 times
Default Nova

500 a month rent, you would be lucky to live within 50 miles of NOVA and find something decent for that amount.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:04 PM

126 posts, read 482,726 times
If you're looking for $500 in rent, you can forget any part of VA except southwest. Check out Roanoke, Lexington, Abingdon, Lynchburg, and places like that. SW VA is beautiful, but I don't think I'd call it "exciting".

I'd rule out the entire NoVA area if you don't want to spend 1/2 of your life in traffic.

The Richmond area isn't terrible, but you're looking at $750+ in rent for somewhere not next to a crack house.

Hampton/Norfolk just edges in behind NoVA with the worst traffic in the state. I don't know much about housing prices in that area, so maybe someone else will check in on that.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:52 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,651 times
I do not even think you could rent somewhere in Hampton for that amount of money, get a roommate(s), that might help you get a nicer place, I would personally spend 1,000 for NN or hampton and some parts of Williamsburg, it may be small but the schools are better. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia