Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 33,335 times

Advertisements

I'm a single 20-something starting a professional job in the D.C. area. I will work just west of the Beltway. I had a day to look around D.C., and of the limited options I saw, I found an apartment in a Crystal City high rise. I'm looking for an area where I can meet others like me: mid-20s-early 30s, professionals. I'd also like for there to be restaurants and other weeknight things to do in the immediate area. I figure I'll commute in on the weekends for bars and the like.

Will I be bored living in the area? Will the commute out to the west side of the Beltway from Crystal City take more than 30 minutes during rush hour? Is the area mostly older people or families? Is it all military personnel?

I looked in the Rosslyn and Courthouse areas as well, but only had time for a couple of places. They wanted several hundred more than the comparable apartment in Crystal City. Was I just looking at the wrong apartment complexes in the area? Would that area be significantly more fun?

If it matters, I'm trying to stay around $1500 and above 600 sq ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 04:25 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times
I've had a few single friends who lived in the Crystal City area and enjoyed it. However, I think you'll find more young, single professionals in the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor. Both areas have restaurants within walking distance, but I think you'll find more people out and about in the latter. One suggestion for finding an apartment in your price range in the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor is to look at the Washington Post and Craig's list for condo units for rent by owner. The condos in high-rise buildings will offer the same amenities as the large apartment complex.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:32 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Also important would be where 'just west of the Beltway' really is. That alone covers a lot of territory. Tysons? Falls Church? Springfield? It's often where you need to go each day that tells you where would be a good place to start out from...

Old 05-01-2007, 08:56 AM

Sorry for not being clearer. I'm working immediately west of the beltway off of highway 50. So, sorta the midpoint of the west part of the Beltway. I'd like about a half hour commute or less to the intersection of 50 and the Beltway, and a place with a lot of younger people (not a trashed fratty area, but people with jobs or grad students). I'm not averse to riding the Metro to work if a particular route would be faster than driving. I'm wondering if Crystal City meets those criteria.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by JLJ82; 05-01-2007 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-01-2007, 01:37 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
I'd 2nd Rosslyn-Ballston corridor. Young professionals and it's lively etc...

Old 05-01-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ82 View Post
Sorry for not being clearer. I'm working immediately west of the beltway off of highway 50. So, sorta the midpoint of the west part of the Beltway. I'd like about a half hour commute or less to the intersection of 50 and the Beltway, and a place with a lot of younger people (not a trashed fratty area, but people with jobs or grad students). I'm not averse to riding the Metro to work if a particular route would be faster than driving. I'm wondering if Crystal City meets those criteria. Thanks for your input.
Know it well. Yorktowne, Grevey's, and of course, the Sweetwater Tavern. You can get there via Metro to Dunn Loring on the Orange Line then a ten-minute bus ride, but I wouldn't think Crystal City would be the best option. The Ballston corridor has been mentioned and wisely so. It's closer to where you need to go, and more like what you seem to be looking for. It can also be expensive. $1500 is a good chunk of change, but you'd still be at the low end of the Ballston market. Still, in terms of action and amenities right on your doorstep, there isn't much around that can compete. A fairly easy drive to/from work from there as well, if you wanted to go that route.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:51 PM

238 posts, read 227,961 times
I HATED living in Crystal City. Here's why: I lived in Crystal Towers and in 1999, my one bedroom (though spacious) was $1100 per month. There was NO parking. As in, about half the amount of needed spaces in the tiny parking lot. Anytime I arrived home after 9 pm, and being in my 20's, I was often home late, I had to circle around and around and around and desperately hope someone was going out for a late night trip. Otherwise I had to park at the metered spaces on the road. Enforcement started bright and early at 8am--NOT great for someone arriving home late!

On top of this, there is a sewage treatment plant right down the street near Potomac Yard. Every spring and summer the smell of...how can I saw this delicately...HUMAN EXCREMENT came wafting into my apartment blocks away. The smell is gross. I would not live there if you PAID me now!

Old 05-03-2007, 07:16 PM

Smell? I hadn't heard that yet, and I've been reading apartment review board where people gripe a lot. Are you sure that wasn't just a one-year thing?

Old 05-03-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ82 View Post
Smell? I hadn't heard that yet, and I've been reading apartment review board where people gripe a lot. Are you sure that wasn't just a one-year thing?
<bargainmom> tends to trash every place she's ever heard of. Baltimore, Takoma Park, Montgomery County, all of southwestern Virginia. Crystal City got off kind of easy, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: