Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:19 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me why the VA forums are inundated with reckless driving posts? I don't think I've ever seen one on any of the other state forums. Is this the only state that has reckless driving laws or do we just attract really bad drivers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 11:53 PM

126 posts, read 381,796 times
haha. I was wondering the same thing. I was also wondering why people are trying to get legal advice from an internet forum.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:56 PM

211 posts, read 816,720 times
It's really simple, Cava. It's because the Legislative Assembly of the Commonwealth of Virginia has chosen to codify and criminalize some traffic infractions and speeding tickets as a criminal act.

The Code of Virginia has over 20 sections pertaining to reckless driving. It is defined as a Class 1 misdemeanor criminal offense, not a traffic infraction or a speeding ticket. For example, Virginia code explicitly defines the act of speeding 20 mph or more above the posted speed limit (or at any speed greater than 80 mph) as reckless driving.

All drivers convicted of reckless driving in Virginia, including out-of-state and foreign (e.g. Canadian) drivers, will have a permanent criminal record that will be indexed in the NCIC criminal database. The conviction will also be added to a Virginia driving record for 11 years, and six demerit points will be applied.

So what, you say? Well there are a lot of drivers who pass thru the Commonwealth on its interstates who don't know that a regular speeding ticket 20+ the limit (or 80+mph) will end up with a criminal charge.

Even drivers who are residents of the state don't know this either. But, as they say, ignorance of the law is no excuse at all. You catch a charge, pay the ticket and go on with your life, right?

At some time in the future, they find out that they now have a criminal record as a result. Maybe because of a job application, security clearance, passport/green card/naturalization, or anything else that can be affected by a criminal record.

It usually ain't a felony (unless you injure, maim or kill someone in the act) but still, it is in the same Class as a DUI or Assault & Battery, so the law treats convicts as such. And since you only have 21 days to appeal the conviction in Virginia, they are pretty much stuck with it for the rest of their lives.

Keep in mind that Virginia isn't the only state that has reckless driving laws, nor is it the only state with bad drivers. It's just that the laws as they are written and enforced give average people a criminal record for traffic infractions and speeding tickets that are tolerated as non-criminal moving violations elsewhere.

You've now been warned!

Old 01-18-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mica View Post
haha. I was wondering the same thing. I was also wondering why people are trying to get legal advice from an internet forum.
Because people are cheap. They know that a lawyer costs money, so they look for "advice" elsewhere, often at the cost of a criminal record.

Might be time for the mods to put up a sticky in the Virginia forums on "reckless driving", since it probably isn't going to go away anytime soon.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:11 AM

370 posts, read 1,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Can anyone tell me why the VA forums are inundated with reckless driving posts? I don't think I've ever seen one on any of the other state forums. Is this the only state that has reckless driving laws or do we just attract really bad drivers?
The fact that two major North-South Interstates (I-95 and I-81) run right through it and DC, Maryland, NJ, and NY drivers use them a lot

Old 01-18-2010, 06:08 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
I guess no one has ever enforced the laws where they live...

Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
There wouldn't be someone on here trying to drum up reckless driving defense business would there? Nah, I'm sure that's just my cynical side talking. Just seems odd that I don't see discussions on any other state and city forums on other legal issues.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:48 AM

Yeah, it's been that way for quite awhile on these Virginia forums. Even before I started posting. I think the lawyers do a pretty brisk business anyway.

Personally, I'm more concerned about folks who will mess up their lives because of some really bad advice from an internet forum.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,317,535 times
It would be great if the Mods could create a dedicated thread or other space for these reckless driving ticket topics... it really clogs up the Virginia forum every time some person starts a new thread for their own ticket.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:48 AM

345 posts, read 914,214 times
LoL I plan on going to VA soon and all these threads are scaring me. I do have somewhat of a lead foot but I try to keep it between 5-9 miles over since 10 or more is a points ticket Mostly I go with the flow of traffic, not roaring down the left lane passing everyone.
Never had a speeding ticket, but a couple of defective headlight tickets no points on my record.
So when in VA go the speed limit, especially since I will be driving a rental car. Will I be a bit safer once I have VA plates? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia