Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,547 times

Advertisements

Hi friends,

I was returning from Williamsburg, VA to my state NC and I was given a ticket for speeding 80/65. This is the first time I break the law of this land.

But I drove at 80mph while passing a truck and the officer agreed with me but still gave me a ticket.

Just wondering what would be the fine and what the court appearance would be like?

Regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 07:33 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
if u got a reckless driving ticket u r in trouble. if you didn't you should be alright. Another guy in the VA forum had the same thing happen to him.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:03 AM

743 posts, read 3,900,635 times
I got 80 in a 65 when I was 18, and it was not reckless driving... Just pay the fine (and the court costs, even if you don't go to court), they'll probably just give you 3 points on your licence (which will take 3 years to go away, and increase your car insurance for 5 years), and maybe some other small thing (I had to take a driving safty class for a week, but I think that was because I was young)

When I got that ticket, it was my first (and last one so far), and I asked the cop if I had to pay the court costs, if I didn't go to court, and just paid it... He said no, and I thought that made sense, so I paid just the fine, and then ended up getting charged an additional $80 on top of everything else, because I didn't pay it in full. Not fair I thought, but I was 18, and had never even been pulled over... at least now I know better.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:00 AM

267 posts, read 1,674,621 times
If this is your first ticket (or your first in years) go to court. At least to get the points reduced. I think any age can take the drivers safety course to get their ticket reduced or forgiven. I do not normally condone driving 80 in a 65 zone, but on I-95 it's pretty common. I have a bigger issue with someone doing 15 over the speed limit in a residential or school area or making excuses as to how the law is wrong and not them. Thanks for taking responsibility and not blaming the police.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 AM

7 posts, read 53,018 times
Go to court!You dont have to worry about hiring a lawyer like my sis did as long as it wasnt reckless. You might hafta take like a course, but other than that itll be mainly money, some points- no points (depends on how the judge/prosecutor are feeling that day).

Old 05-31-2007, 01:48 PM

743 posts, read 3,900,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
I think any age can take the drivers safety course to get their ticket reduced or forgiven.
I got the 3 points, AND was required to take the driver safety class that was multiple days (a week I think), all this on top of the fine... I think if you're under some age (21 maybe?) they'll make you take the class... it was some new thing they had started doing when I got pulled over (almost 6 years ago)

Old 09-27-2007, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 6,107 times
Default I got 101/65 and labeled reckless

Well,

as the subject says, I got hit w/ a 101 in a 65 zone. Reckless Driving.

The funny thing about his ticket is, that I wasn't the intended target for the issuance of the ticket. I know I was going fast but the officer never pulled me over. He ended up pulling my friend over and me like an ass, pullled over about 1/4 mile ahead of them. The officer noticed and had my friend move up to where I was and headed to get me in the patrol car first. Smacked me w/ the 101 ticket. And gave my friend the 80 ticket.

I think I was profiled for some reason, maybe cause i was a guy? Also, I do drive an EVO , and if so, I should have been the main target in my opinion.

Lawyers are charging me alot of money. On top of that, they're telling me that I have to appear in court in one of the toughest counties in Rockingham, VA.

I've read other cases of judges being leanient to offenders from other states for just even showing up to court for their speeding violations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia