Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 10:24 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,255,530 times

Advertisements

Current and former VW owners who report how expensive VWs are to fix, are clearly relying on the dealerships for everything -- and the VW dealerships are not cheap.

But there are many independent VW shops, usually owned by guys who used to work at the dealerships but did not like how the customers always got screwed. I recommend finding one or two of these shops, maybe even before acquiring a VW. They know the strengths and weaknesses of each model, and can steer you toward a particular model and engine, or even a particular car that they know is available for a good price.

I have two shops that I know and trust, and between them they keep both of my VW Golf TDIs running in top condition. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've gone to a VW dealership in the last ten years: a multi-function switch ($226 parts and labor), a new hood latch ($113 including labor), and a outside mirror housing. Those visits all turned out well -- I knew exactly what I needed beforehand. But an earlier dealership visit ended very badly, when a water pump replacement led to a timing belt failure 20k miles later ($3000 in direct costs and loss of income). That was the one and only time I used a dealership for any work like that.

Even in small towns without a mechanic who is well-experienced with VWs, there are good mechanics who can fix almost anything -- but you have to know your car and what it needs. Otherwise these mechanics can end up replacing parts until they finally luck out, maybe.

I haven't owned a lot of cars in my life; I tend to keep each one for a long time, a Saab 900T for 16 years, and now a Golf TDI for 14 years. The Golf was definitely the best car-buying decision I've made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen