Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 05:42 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times

Advertisements

Does anyone own a recent model year (2014 - 2017) jetta? I'm wondering about the 1.4t and 1.8t motors and their longevity as well as people's general experience with the newer jettas. I'm thinking about getting the new 2017 se model. Looks like good value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 05:46 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Not as reliable or as good resale as most Japanese cars.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:35 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
It's been a long time since I followed any VW stuff (I own a 2001 TDI, but it's been flawless so I simply dropped out of the online communities) ~ Anyway, for the MKIV and MKV platforms, 1999~2011, the gasser models were the ones I consistently saw the most complaints and problems with. There were some issues with the TDIs, but those really didn't start till 2007 when the Gov mandated all their massive changes for diesel.

I'm holding onto my Jetta because it's long since been paid off, still returns 48mpg, and has Honestly been more reliable than the Toyota that I also own. If I had to buy something new today, VW wouldn't be on top of my list simply because they don't offer anything that's appealing to me.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:05 PM

wow, two haters and no appreciaters, lol.

Just kidding guys. I previously owned a 2011 golf tdi and it was a great car when I owned it. I only asked because I feel like the Jetta often gets overlooked in the compact car segment and I feel like the upgrades to they car they've made over the past couple of years have made it much more appealing. Plus I feel like the 1.4t and 1.8t are great motors compared to many of the naturally aspirated motors of the jetta's competators. Just thought I'd see if anyone owned one and had an experience with those motors.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:53 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
I'm in a similar situation to the other two TDI owners -- I don't pay much attention to Volkswagen's gas engine offerings.

But I have two good friends that run independent VW-Audi shops, and it's my impression that they don't see many serious problems with the Mk6 or Mk7 Golfs or Jettas. If I was in the market for a new or newish car, I think I'd rather go with the Golf (or maybe a GTI) rather than the Jetta.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:11 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
The resale of VW products seems to trail that of Toyota and Honda by a wide margin. Look at the CC. I actually really like that car, but would only buy used. Lots of good deals on used CCs out there!

Old 01-04-2017, 03:35 PM

797 posts, read 751,615 times
Here's my review on my 2014 1.8 se.
So far a little over 40,000 miles.
1.Horn quit. Replaced with this
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s+and+Scooters
2. Noticed coolant seeping out of reservoir hose. Have not remedied
3.Oil residue buildup around filler cap,leading to decreased levels. Problem stopped and has not occurred since. Research indicated possible PCV problem.
4.Did notice some residue build-up around left rear shock absorber. Car seems fine so,will be replacing all 4 with Bilsteins regardless.
5.Some minor vibration in sixth when under boost at around 40 mph when accelerating,nothing else indicated.
6.Traction control light indicator and esp symbol seldom display when starting vehicle.
7.Recall notice was sent due to possible leaking fuel rail (or gaskets).Have not remedied,as there is no leaks.
8. Speedometer incorrect(by 2 mph ) both gps and rader confirmed. Traveling at 62,actual speed 60. It's exactly off by 2 mph at all speeds,not percentage,this also leads to mileage being incorrect,as gps confirmed. Mentioned to VW of America,no response.
Overall though,good car,pulls good for a daily,averages about 35mpg highway, and roomy for it's class.

Update 12/4/2016-
53k miles -
Changed the fuel filter @50 k miles,which the service interval does not state to do so. Needs to be changed though.
regular oil changes,altough Oem castrol is 8.47 a quart and it takes six quarts.
Transmission service is due at 50 k,Im doing it at 60 k along with the plugs.
If you are a Diy'er like myself,it's a good thing to print out or save the oem service manual
[...] For a one day subscription,its 35 bucks,but you can save as much info as you would like.
Comes in handy and worth it IMO.
As far as the transmission goes,there is no filler tube. Fluid is expensive,and requires special tools to change out.
So note to any Diyer's,this car seems to be made so people wont service it themselves.
Other than that,car's still strong without any problems.
Oh well,struts /shocks seem to be losing their integrity,which happens usually 50k and up,plus I don't usually slow down to grandpa speeds when turning.

There are other reviews on amazon as well.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
1.Horn quit. Replaced with this
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s+and+Scooters
2. Noticed coolant seeping out of reservoir hose. Have not remedied
3.Oil residue buildup around filler cap,leading to decreased levels. Problem stopped and has not occurred since. Research indicated possible PCV problem.
4.Did notice some residue build-up around left rear shock absorber. Car seems fine so,will be replacing all 4 with Bilsteins regardless.
5.Some minor vibration in sixth when under boost at around 40 mph when accelerating,nothing else indicated.
6.Traction control light indicator and esp symbol seldom display when starting vehicle.
7.Recall notice was sent due to possible leaking fuel rail (or gaskets).Have not remedied,as there is no leaks.
8. Speedometer incorrect(by 2 mph ) both gps and rader confirmed. Traveling at 62,actual speed 60. It's exactly off by 2 mph at all speeds,not percentage,this also leads to mileage being incorrect,as gps confirmed. Mentioned to VW of America,no response.
Overall though,good car,pulls good for a daily,averages about 35mpg highway, and roomy for it's class.

Update 12/4/2016-
53k miles -
Changed the fuel filter @50 k miles,which the service interval does not state to do so. Needs to be changed though.
regular oil changes,altough Oem castrol is 8.47 a quart and it takes six quarts.
If you are a Diy'er like myself,it's a good thing to print out or save the oem service manual
[...] For a one day subscription,its 35 bucks,but you can save as much info as you would like.
Comes in handy and worth it IMO.
As far as the transmission goes,there is no filler tube. Fluid is expensive,and requires special tools to change out.
So note to any Diyer's,this car seems to be made so people wont service it themselves.
Other than that,car's still strong without any problems.
Oh well,struts /shocks seem to be losing their integrity,which happens usually 50k and up,plus I don't usually slow down to grandpa speeds when turning.

There are other reviews on amazon as well.
Wow, it sounds like VW still has some issues to fix. When I owned my golf tdi I did a lot of my own service but I was kind of hoping a lot of the little issues VW had dealt with in the past were gone... doesn't seem that way.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:35 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
(snip)
You should downshift. It's not good for the engine or turbo to accelerate briskly at such low engine RPM.

Quote:
Speedometers on almost all cars, especially all German cars, always read a few MPH higher than actual. As for the odometer, its accuracy will depend on tire size. On my Golf, with the OE Michelin tires, the speedometer read about 3.5 MPH fast, but the odometer was accurate to about 2 miles in 1000 miles, which is pretty good.

Quote:
Update 12/4/2016-
53k miles -
Fuel filter replacement interval used to be 20k miles for some VW models, 40k for others. I've never heard of a fuel filter that has no service interval.

Quote:

My guess is that your owners manual specifies VAG 507.00. You do have other less expensive oil choices. Is the oil change interval 10k miles?

Quote:

My understanding is that this is a conventional automatic transmission, not a DSG. I think only the DSG requires a 40k-mile fluid change. So your service interval should be longer than 40k miles.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:56 PM

376 posts, read 499,611 times
I have a 2015 Jetta Sport 1.8t. Same suspension as the GLI so its a great bargain and has excellent handling. Also got the lighting package which is amazing and a great value.

At 13,500 miles now and its had ZERO issues, drives just like new. The stock pirelli tires will last to 20K miles if im lucky they are very soft but excellent tires.

I was getting 40 MPG highway easy with cruise control on and 87 pump gas.

Last weekend I went and had it tuned to APR 93 octane Stage 1. +70 HP and + 110 ft/lbs. this thing is a rocket now (nearly 300 pound feet of torque!) ! nearly a flat 6 seconds 0-60 which is insane for a Jetta and will run with V6 mustangs and other 300 HP V6 cars all day long.

MPG now seems to 35-36 so I took a hit on that but so worth it for the performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen