Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:29 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times

Advertisements

I recently took a look at the 2016 Passat R-line and I have to say that its a pretty sweet looking ride. Very spacious and classy looking. The 1.8t engine seems a bit underpowered for a car this size but its acceptable given its low end tq.

So why does this car not sell as well as the Camry or Accord? Is it because of long term reliability issues? Is it because of the cost to maintain a German vehicle? etc?

Last edited by louie0406; 08-29-2016 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 09:38 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,389 times
For one the previous generation of the Passat was more expensive. It was marketed that way from the beginning. Consumers may simply be unaware that the Passat is less expensive than it used to be.

Another reason is simply that VW has never had a large market share in the US.

Production restraints are yet another reason. VW couldn't build enough Passats to meet demand at the same level as the Accord or Camry at this point in time.

Lastly, VW's diesel scandal has really hurt their brand image. It will take quite a while to recover from that.

-Signed an auto industry analys

Old 08-29-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
For one the previous generation of the Passat was more expensive. It was marketed that way from the beginning. Consumers may simply be unaware that the Passat is less expensive than it used to be.

Another reason is simply that VW has never had a large market share in the US.

Production restraints are yet another reason. VW couldn't build enough Passats to meet demand at the same level as the Accord or Camry at this point in time.

Lastly, VW's diesel scandal has really hurt their brand image. It will take quite a while to recover from that.

-Signed an auto industry analys
This is true! I was surprised at how affordable the '16 Passat is. Sure once you start adding features the cost can rise quickly, but its pretty much on par with its rivals.

Had I not just recently picked up a '16 Accord Sport I would have seriously considered the Passat R-line.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
VW's dealer network is sparse as well, same problem with Mazda. People flock to those big fancy looking dealerships.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
VW's dealer network is sparse as well, same problem with Mazda. People flock to those big fancy looking dealerships.
Where I live, there's an entire ave of dealerships. VW and Mazda included. Took a friend recently to look at a Honda HRV and I decided to walk right across the street while she took care of the financials to check out what VW had. Was impressed with the '16 Passat. Sad to say that I was literally the ONLY person in the dealership at the time. Meanwhile right across the street Honda was selling cars like hotcakes! Mazda has a huge dealership on this same ave although we didnt stop inside. Surprisingly Toyota looked kind of quiet while Nissan had a pretty good crowd inside!

Old 08-29-2016, 10:36 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
German cars are not known for having the reliability of a Toyota or Honda! Plus repair costs for German cars are EXPENSIVE!

Old 08-29-2016, 10:38 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Over the years VW has really pissed off a lot of customers because of poor reliability and expensive parts and service.

They went over to Honda or Toyota and never saw a reason to return.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:41 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I know it sounds silly, but I think some people are just turned off by the Volkswagen name, I guess it brings back images of the Beetle.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:51 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
It does not have the track record nor the market perception that those vehicles enjoy.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:49 PM
RFF

165 posts, read 303,062 times
A lot of their reputation was ruined by their reliability issues in the late 90's to early 00. Accords and Camrys haven't been known for bad reliability.

FWIW. Their incentives are insane! Fully loaded passats with sunroof and all the fixins for less than 24,000. 4-5k off MSRP What a deal. The 1.8t of this current generation are having some issues with main seal leaks. I test drove a 2016 SE with connectivity that was 5k off MSRP and the thing had rear seat heaters (My kids would love those). The fake leather was softer than the last generation. It wasn't bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen