Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 03:51 PM

1,062 posts, read 979,668 times

Advertisements

The local VW dealer has several used 2015 diesel Golf and Sportwagens for pretty low prices with a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty. How exactly were these cars fixed? Do they comply with regulations? How did they get emissions down from 40x the legal maximum NOx? Do they perform much worse with the fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 04:04 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
VW got the US DOT/NHSTA approval for the fix 6~8 months ago, there was very little in the way of change, apparently (for the 2015's) the only real difference is an increased urea consumption. Same power, same economy ~ They comply with Federal standards but not CARB (i.e California ~ but so long as the vehicle has 7500 miles, or you've owned it for ~1 year in another state, it doesn't matter anyway).

I've been waiting for these to start coming to market. Couldn't be happier with the experience from my 2001, but it's simply physically failing now (foam is breaking down in the HVAC vents, headliner, panel liner, etc..). I think the several years it spent in Phoenix were simply not great for the foam.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
They got really expensive before the problem. A bargain if they are priced well now. They are really decent cars. I understand maintenance can be costly especially on newer models and especially if you use the dealership and OEM parts (which is pretty much all that is available anyway).

BTW - isn't "TDI Diesel" redundant? I thought that is what the D stood for. Maybe i am wrong. I have never seen a TDI gasser.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:26 PM

17,298 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
BTW - isn't "TDI Diesel" redundant? I thought that is what the D stood for. Maybe i am wrong. I have never seen a TDI gasser.
Turbocharged Direct Injection.

Last edited by notnamed; 12-20-2017 at 04:41 PM..

Old 12-20-2017, 05:18 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Was not the issue is that they were fudging on pollution issues, not on reliability or performance? That said, I would not consider a VW under any conditions. The are touchy and expensive.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:30 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I would not consider a VW under any conditions. The are touchy and expensive.
And just how much direct personal experience do You have on the topic?

Like I said, I have a 300k mile 2001, owned since 2004. Even with twice the miles driven, it's cost the same as my Toyota to maintain and needed roughly the same amount of my time.

Not touchy, no more expensive than my Toyota.

I stopped following the TDI community after about 5~6 years because the car just worked. There were lots of us (we had a "my car's still fine" thread).

I think the biggest issue is Dealer mechanics. Those monkeys shouldn't be allowed to clean windshields in most cases... they undoubtedly cause more damage than they 'fix'.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:07 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Turbocharged Direct Injection.
It's nitrogen oxides pollution machine.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:59 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Was not the issue is that they were fudging on pollution issues, not on reliability or performance? That said, I would not consider a VW under any conditions. The are touchy and expensive.
I had a 2012 TDI Jetta wagon. I bought it new. Put 100,000 miles on it and did absolutely nothing to it but oil changes and tires. It was a great car but I wasn't turning down what VW offered to buy it back.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:57 PM

1,062 posts, read 979,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
VW got the US DOT/NHSTA approval for the fix 6~8 months ago, there was very little in the way of change, apparently (for the 2015's) the only real difference is an increased urea consumption. Same power, same economy ~ They comply with Federal standards but not CARB (i.e California ~ but so long as the vehicle has 7500 miles, or you've owned it for ~1 year in another state, it doesn't matter anyway).

I've been waiting for these to start coming to market. Couldn't be happier with the experience from my 2001, but it's simply physically failing now (foam is breaking down in the HVAC vents, headliner, panel liner, etc..). I think the several years it spent in Phoenix were simply not great for the foam.
Interesting.... So what does that mean for the actual emissions? I would not choose to drive a vehicle that pollutes more than other similar vehicles, even if it's technically legal.

BTW the reason I wrote "TDI diesel" is so that this thread will show up in searches for either term

Old 12-20-2017, 09:05 PM

604 posts, read 652,513 times
Quote:
My experience with WV is better or same than Toyota/Honda/Nissan. For sure more fun to drive than Japanese boats.

Both Passat and Jetta have been flawless cars, reluctantly had to return the 2014 Passat TDI since VW offered more than I paid when new.
I would buy a used TDI when available in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen