Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:11 PM

648 posts, read 3,091,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm going to bring this one up again, because in extreme heat, ethanol vaporizes differently than regular gasoline.

This may very well have nothing to do with your car, but there are vehicles that experience vapor lock when running ethanol blend gasoline during extremely hot times of the year.

I'd bet Mitch & Wheelsup are on the money. But a cheap test would be to use 87 Octane gas next time you fill up.
i have no idea if the gas i use has ethanol in it or not! hmmmm it's the cheap stuff i know that. my son swears by more expensive gas in his car. i will try to look into this next time i need to fill up, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 01:16 PM

648 posts, read 3,091,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Offhand if this was happening to me, I would be putting in some Redline High-Temp ATF along with a transmission filter. It ain't cheap, but it is good stuff.
i'll look into this also.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:31 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Somebody remind me what benefit we are supposed to be getting out of corn-based ethanol?!
Actually, if they'd just stop being stupid and program cars to run on it, we'd be fine.

I've got a friend with a late model Flex-Fuel Taurus. He runs E-85 (85% ethanol), looses less than 1 mpg, and the car runs perfectly fine.

Ahhh well, that's a rant for another day.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
i'll look into this also.
It may be beneficial to simply check your transmission fluid level, if you have not recently done so.

Don't use synthetic tranny fluid if you're just going to top it off. Be sure to use what the factory recommends.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2009, 05:33 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It may be beneficial to simply check your transmission fluid level, if you have not recently done so.

Don't use synthetic tranny fluid if you're just going to top it off. Be sure to use what the factory recommends.

Good luck!
Is it okay to use Synthetic Trans fluid on a drain and fill considering most of the original trans fluid is still left in the torque converter?

Old 07-10-2009, 06:44 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Is it okay to use Synthetic Trans fluid on a drain and fill considering most of the original trans fluid is still left in the torque converter?
Good question, offhand I would think it's OK, it wouldn't make much sense to market an ATF that would mostly make it's own enemies rather than make it's own friends - so I think the manufacturers of the various synthetic ATFs make them compatible with dino ATF.

But VWs are quirkier than most, I'd definitely check, particularly if the car is still under any sort of factory warrenty.

I do know that the recent TDI Diesel engines need a synthetic oil meeting a VW's specifications, by no means will "whatever" oil be OK in these engines. Point being is that sometimes, like Chrysler, VW designs things assuming a very specific lubricant will be used, woe to them as don't use it.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:10 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times
Quote:
Good question, offhand I would think it's OK, it wouldn't make much sense to market an ATF that would mostly make it's own enemies rather than make it's own friends - so I think the manufacturers of the various synthetic ATFs make them compatible with dino ATF.

But VWs are quirkier than most, I'd definitely check, particularly if the car is still under any sort of factory warrenty.

I do know that the recent TDI Diesel engines need a synthetic oil meeting a VW's specifications, by no means will "whatever" oil be OK in these engines. Point being is that sometimes, like Chrysler, VW designs things assuming a very specific lubricant will be used, woe to them as don't use it.
Okay thanks Mitch. I was specifically referring to my 92 Accord. As you may recall from a previous thread a mechanic refused to do a drain and fill on my car. Well I got it done elsewhere and everything is okay. Trans fluid is now red again. Before it was a light brown.

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I think it's fine.

Earlier this summer I replaced the tranny filter & fluid on my wife's 04 Grand Caravan. Those danged Dodges are finnicky, but I used synthetic fluid and the beast is working perfectly.

I'm sure it'd be fine to run synthetic in the VW tranny too - provided it's the right stuff, as recommended by the manufacturer. What I was thinking was, "why waste synthetic when you're probably going to change it soon anyway?"

Old 07-10-2009, 11:01 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,765 times
Sorry to be a jerk, but you would not have this problem if the car had a manual like small and sporty cars are supposed to.

<Tongue planted in cheek, but with a kernel of truth.>

Old 09-21-2009, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,765 times
Yes, I am an in Phoenix and mine does it too. 2003 Convertible. I am done dealing with this little car. I love it in so many ways but it is getting out of hand now. Windows=Fail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen