Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,837 times

Advertisements

Looking at housing options in the rockville/gaithersburg area. Currently live in rockville for the 2 years so i know the area fairly well. My questions more focus around Gaithersburg.

I have heard several neighborhoods mentioned in these threads: primarily King Farm and Kentlands. What streets encompass these neighborhoods (what are the boundaries so to speak).

Went to old towne gaithersburg last night and it seems like it is either on the cusp of being nice or the cusp of becoming a true ghost town. I am curious as to peoples thoughts on what the new development will do to that area. The neighborhoods tend to have larger lots than rockville, so that is appealling, but the area doesnt immediatly give off the "gonna be great vibe". Then again the chance to buy there for could be like buying near downtown rockville 20 years ago????

I hear west of 270 in gaithersburg is nice and i assume this will stay nice. Any impressions on the east of 270 catching up or is the west just continue to grow nicer and the east of 270 will be the collecting grounds??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 05:40 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
East Gaithersburg will actually see the most development long term. West Gaithersburg other than Crown Farm, Watkins Mill Town Center, and Kentlands downtown is already developed. Almost all of East Gaithersburg will be redeveloped including Olde towne, lakeforest mall area, 355 dealerships and stores, and the fairgrounds will be redeveloped. In 2030, that side of town will be the most urban with plans to build an extensive street grid in that area during construction.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 PM

So would you consider relocating to Old Towne a good alternative right now for long term value.
How will the planned development impact the current neighborhoods?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leber12 View Post
So would you consider relocating to Old Towne a good alternative right now for long term value.
How will the planned development impact the current neighborhoods?
The neighborhoods of East Deer Park and Brooks Walker will see a property increase. Everything else is being demolished in the area so everything will be new. Here are the plans for olde town. I think you should study them carefully if you are thinking about moving.

http://www.gaithersburgmd.gov/Docume...owne_plan3.pdf

Old 02-12-2011, 03:44 PM

That is very very helpful. The Brooks/Walker area looks promising. I am not sure i know what makes up the East Deer Park Area? Is that the neighborhood that Dogwood drive cuts through?

I am far from competent in understanding/translating these planning maps.

We have a limited housing budget (375k) so the west of 270 is out of the question. Young, married couple.

It looks like if all the development actually happened, old towne would be a very fun place to live. But the plan is dated 2005 and i wonder if its mostly nice drawings?!? Outside of the new complex going up on Diamond....is the rest a future reality?

What are the plans for the lakeforest mall. I read a recent article that the owners are about to be foreclosed on?

Also is it true that the fairgrounds will be moved and that area "developed"?

I greatly appreciate your patience...and truly appreciate any recommendations you might have.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leber12 View Post
That is very very helpful. The Brooks/Walker area looks promising. I am not sure i know what makes up the East Deer Park Area? Is that the neighborhood that Dogwood drive cuts through?

I am far from competent in understanding/translating these planning maps.

We have a limited housing budget (375k) so the west of 270 is out of the question. Young, married couple.

It looks like if all the development actually happened, old towne would be a very fun place to live. But the plan is dated 2005 and i wonder if its mostly nice drawings?!? Outside of the new complex going up on Diamond....is the rest a future reality?

What are the plans for the lakeforest mall. I read a recent article that the owners are about to be foreclosed on?

Also is it true that the fairgrounds will be moved and that area "developed"?

I greatly appreciate your patience...and truly appreciate any recommendations you might have.
E. Deer Park is a road south of Olde Town across from W. Deer Park intersecting with 355. The homes run all the way to the Olde Town CBD. As for olde town:

-about 1/4 to 1/2 of the new row homes are built on N. summit ave

-2 new office buildings are built on S. Summit Ave

-Y site is about to break ground on Olde Town Ave. very soon

-Westchester at Olde Town is under construction on E. Diamond Ave.

-315 East Diamond Ave. which is a building including 60,000 square feet of office and retail space across from Westchester at olde town as well as new clock tower and seasonal ice skating rink is also slated to break ground soon

Nothing is going on at Lakeforest mall currently. They changed the zoning to mixed use so developers will be able to come in and bid on the property in the future. The fairgrounds has also been changed to mixed use so developers can come in and bid on that property too in the future.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 02-12-2011 at 05:21 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 01:20 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
E. Deer Park is a road south of Olde Town across from W. Deer Park intersecting with 355. The homes run all the way to the Olde Town CBD. As for olde town:

-about 1/4 to 1/2 of the new row homes are built on N. summit ave

-2 new office buildings are built on S. Summit Ave

-Y site is about to break ground on Olde Town Ave. very soon

-Westchester at Olde Town is under construction on E. Diamond Ave.

-315 East Diamond Ave. which is a building including 60,000 square feet of office and retail space across from Westchester at olde town as well as new clock tower and seasonal ice skating rink is also slated to break ground soon

Nothing is going on at Lakeforest mall currently. They changed the zoning to mixed use so developers will be able to come in and bid on the property in the future. The fairgrounds has also been changed to mixed use so developers can come in and bid on that property too in the future.
You posted a link in the other thread about the Lakeforest Plans in which I read carefully. I will admit that you stand correct that they are not pushing to demolish the Mall but there is a very high possibility of removing the existing surface parking(converting into parking garages) to accommodate new mix-use development.

I said before that it will make sense to add Multilevel Offices, Hotels, and Residential Buildings on top of the existing Lakeforest Mall(along with the addition of building a mix of Office Buildings, Hotels, Residential, and outdoor retail) which will add more revenue for the Mall and promote more Upscale Retail inside and outside the Mall.......

Old 10-28-2011, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,865 times
Default Also interested to know more about Rville/Gburg

Been looking at homes and wondering if anyone living in either the Washington Woods subdivision of Gaithersburg or the Manor Park sbudivision in Rockville could give me some feedback about what the community(ies) are like for a family with kids ages 6, 4, and 1. Especially interested to know how you find the schools, what type of family friendly facilities and activities are available in these areas and are there active parent groups here to help newcomers settle in? Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
I don't think of west of 270 is out. Look at Shady Grove Village. I think there may be homes in you price range there. Being in 20878 means pretty good schools.

Kentlands is bounded by Great Seneca Hwy, Quince Orchard Rd, and Darnestown Rd. May be too expensive for you, but I don't know for sure about that.

The area of Olde Town looks okay, but I do not hear that the schools are as good around there. I'm thinking of Gaithersburg High, but you probably don't need to worry about that for a few years. I do not know about the other schools around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland