Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:50 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Thanks for the first hand insight! I don't know a lot about Capital Clubhouse. Do you think a place with an ice skating rink, soccer, and a rock climbing wall has the possibility of becoming thuggish?
No I don't. I think this is one of the places that actually keeps Waldorf's teenagers busy. I used to go to Waldorf all the time in High School and pretty much if you didn't go to the mall, there wasn't a whole lot left. After a while you seen a zillion teenagers hanging out outside with nothing better to do. Capital Clubhouse is just one way of swaying that but more is needed.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm don't know if voting for a political party just because they are different solves the accountability issue but when long term candidates are not challenged in primaries and the same people just keep getting re-elected unopposed--well, isn't that just the definition of a political machine?
Yeah I should clarify, I think the biggest problem with PG is we have too much of the same thing running. For instance, in the last election, every candidate for County Executive had similar platforms: education, crime reduction and development. All very good ideas, but you see this a lot with other races too. I think having different parties involved helps balance the ideas across the board. If someone is running Democratic in PG, if they win the primaries, it's pretty much a done deal, but having competition from other parties is a way for voters to say, "you're doing a bad job, so you're fired". I really believe if there was a better balance, these leaders wouldn't feel as brazen to ignore their constituents.

Quote:
When you say a "lot of other races are moving into Charles County as well", is this saying that only blacks (in this case from PG County) are problematic or that having a diversity of cultures is better than being a monoracial county or just black and white?
Yes I say the problem is related to what I said before. Let's be honest, most blacks vote Democratic, without even thinking about how much the candidate relates to them. We have gotten this mentality that this is the best way to go for us. For instance, in my opinion, I believe PG County made a big mistake by supporting O'Malley in the last elections. He has done very little for people in PG County and even promised moving the MD Housing Authority to Temple Hills, but I haven't even seen any evidence of it. If anything it seems like it was a ploy to get more votes here. Then I see stupid signs like "Obama needs your support, vote democratic" and people are dumb enough to fall for it, without doing the research. That's why we kept electing Jack Johnson, Marilyn Bland and Ulysses Currie even though they have a history of poor behavior and going against the general public's wishes. Regardless of what party a candidate is in, what is he/she going to do for you? Isn't that what matters? That's something black people don't ask themselves enough and other races tend to more because they don't have inherent allegiance to a certain party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Yes I say the problem is related to what I said before. Let's be honest, most blacks vote Democratic, without even thinking about how much the candidate relates to them. We have gotten this mentality that this is the best way to go for us. For instance, in my opinion, I believe PG County made a big mistake by supporting O'Malley in the last elections. He has done very little for people in PG County and even promised moving the MD Housing Authority to Temple Hills, but I haven't even seen any evidence of it. If anything it seems like it was a ploy to get more votes here. Then I see stupid signs like "Obama needs your support, vote democratic" and people are dumb enough to fall for it, without doing the research. That's why we kept electing Jack Johnson, Marilyn Bland and Ulysses Currie even though they have a history of poor behavior and going against the general public's wishes. Regardless of what party a candidate is in, what is he/she going to do for you? Isn't that what matters? That's something black people don't ask themselves enough and other races tend to more because they don't have inherent allegiance to a certain party.
I think if voters had more options just among Democrats in PG, then that would solve a lot of the problem. There are too many "connections" and "alliances," even among candidates for the same office. Anyone with more unique ideas or few connections are almost deliberately overlooked. Too many folks are into being annointed, kissing rings, not doing the slightest thing to disrespect someone's gigantic ego and embracing mediocrity. I see less of this with the current county executive so far, but the house is not being cleaned nearly as fast or as thoroughly as I'd like.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:22 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I think if voters had more options just among Democrats in PG, then that would solve a lot of the problem. There are too many "connections" and "alliances," even among candidates for the same office. Anyone with more unique ideas or few connections are almost deliberately overlooked. Too many folks are into being annointed, kissing rings, not doing the slightest thing to disrespect someone's gigantic ego and embracing mediocrity. I see less of this with the current county executive so far, but the house is not being cleaned nearly as fast or as thoroughly as I'd like.
I agree. It seems like everybody is giving a pat on the back to the other. Someone is doing something wrong and the accountability should be given to those who have failed us. The jury is still out on Baker. I'm not going to given him the benefit of my support until I see some results. As long as Charles County doesn't play the game like this, they won't have our issues.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:32 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,031 times
Default Political Two Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Thanks for the responses folks! I don't know if I would ascribe the Democratic issue to blacks in PG County though. The most famous black Republican I can think of is Michael Steele, a product of PG County. But the GOP put Steele out on his arse despite helping to deliver the 2010 election. Yes he had problems (fiscal management of course!) but he did what he was elected to do.

I think there are probably more like-minded blacks in PG County who would potentially vote Republican. In the 1960 election, over half of blacks still voted Republican, for Nixon no less. I think the Republican's issue with attracting blacks has to do with the absorption of the Dixiecrats to deliver the 1968 election. Yes, that has been a successful strategy over time but fiscally responsible Republicans like George H.W. Bush get shouted down by the hard-right fringe elements. And when Bush senior ran for re-election, he couldn't shake off the fringe (and the mishandling of Hurricane Andrew), and Ross Perot cut into his votes. Clinton got elected and restored the country to some semblance of economic sanity that the Republicans claimed they would do.

I think Republicans could make inroads into PG County on a platform of fiscal responsibility (the wealthiest blacks in America live there along with some pretty wealthy whites too). But the racist-sign waving "Tea Party" fringe must be kept at bay and Reaganomics must be redefined as "Voodoo Economics" as George H.W. Bush correctly labeled it in during the 1980 campaign. But both Montgomery County and PG County have been solidly Democrat since at least the mid-80s. Accordingly, PG County didn't become a majority black until the mid-90s. So a significant contingent of PG County whites must have voted Democrat too. So with party affiliation being similar between Montgomery and PG Counties, what must Charles County do to be more like Montgomery?

Old 02-17-2011, 12:43 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
I mean't first black Maryland State's Attorney (for Charles County) not the first ever. You are correct: PG County and Baltimore City have had multiple black Maryland State's attorneys.
In MoCo, our County Commissioner is African-American (Ike Legget). I often disagree with him on policies. However, he is a very smart as well as good man and takes the time to listen and communicate with the populace. He is also a Vet, but does not play that up much.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:40 PM

512 posts, read 1,635,487 times
I can see Charles county becoming another P.G. but I think planning and developments will differ than the route P.G. took. When I say this I don't say it in a negative context that I think most people say when it comes to P.G. I believe that it will be prosperous county and will develop the county better. I also think that leadership is pretty solid for the most part in Charles County.

I've lived in both Charles and P.G. counties. To me they aren't that much different. You got plenty of good areas in P.G. and it's the same as Charles County plenty of good areas. Crime is without a doubt higher in P.G. but if you all research the schools Charles County can no longer hold the title as having an overwhelmingly good school system over P.G. head. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rip for that statement, but when it came down to schools Charles county only fair better in certain aspects.

Cheaper housing is probably what Charles County is known for and it is a nice county.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:27 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,182 times
I think that is interesting how you mentioned that "Black Flight" and "White Flight" from PG County is filtering into two separate counties. Although, Calvert County is the 13th wealthiest and Charles County is the 21st wealthiest in the U.S., the median household income is only separated by abouth $2500. So it doesn't seem like a matter of income that blacks move into Charles and whites move into Calvert. I wonder what are the circumstances that make blacks want to move into Charles County rather than Calvert County and vice-versa. They seem to be very similar.

this is rather easy. most blacks from dc and pg move to charles county because for them it's considered suburban and nice compared to where they are coming from. the schools are way better than those in pg or dc. they also have a chance to own newer homes than they would have in pg or dc. it's also important to note that the drive to pg and dc from charles county is a lot faster than it would be moving to calvert. there's more shopping in charles county as well.

more whites move to calvert county because the schools are top notch. for what folks pay to send their children to private schools in pg and dc, calvert county's public school system can meet or exceed. i believe calvert county has the highest paid teachers in the state and the quality they provide shows. they also have a better quality of life in calvert. better homes, more rural setting, great schools, low crime, high property value.

As to the rate of speed, I think white Marylanders are not migrating into other counties, white Marylanders are just leaving the state (http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/2011/02/hispanics-drive-marylands-population-growth - broken link)altogether when moving!

Old 02-27-2011, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,112 times
The SOMD Blue Crabs, St. Charles Town Center, Capital Clubhouse are the only things for Waldorf teens to do. Charles County Schools aren't the greatest right now, but with North Points special programs, waldorf schools are getting back on track. There are plans to build a school near Regency Furniture Stadium that opens in August of 2013 that mimics North Point with STI's and specialized programs. This will be the 4th School that is located in Waldorf (Westlake, Thomas Stone, North Point) Also, Charles County has the most crime and development only in the north. I think Southern Charles County will retain its quality and rural-ness. It's crazy to see the difference that a 20 minute drive to the southeast of Waldorf has. 20 minutes away from Waldorf is Hughesville, and Charlotte Hall which are very rural with farming and a developed Amish community.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:34 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
this is rather easy. most blacks from dc and pg move to charles county because for them it's considered suburban and nice compared to where they are coming from. the schools are way better than those in pg or dc. they also have a chance to own newer homes than they would have in pg or dc. it's also important to note that the drive to pg and dc from charles county is a lot faster than it would be moving to calvert. there's more shopping in charles county as well.

more whites move to calvert county because the schools are top notch. for what folks pay to send their children to private schools in pg and dc, calvert county's public school system can meet or exceed. i believe calvert county has the highest paid teachers in the state and the quality they provide shows. they also have a better quality of life in calvert. better homes, more rural setting, great schools, low crime, high property value.
With both counties being an improvement, why aren't black and white Prince Georgian's migrating to the same counties together? Do the schools not attract blacks to Calvert County? Is the Charles County commute not more covenient for whites who work in the District?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
I can see Charles county becoming another P.G. but I think planning and developments will differ than the route P.G. took. When I say this I don't say it in a negative context that I think most people say when it comes to P.G. I believe that it will be prosperous county and will develop the county better. I also think that leadership is pretty solid for the most part in Charles County.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post

I've lived in both Charles and P.G. counties. To me they aren't that much different. You got plenty of good areas in P.G. and it's the same as Charles County plenty of good areas. Crime is without a doubt higher in P.G. but if you all research the schools Charles County can no longer hold the title as having an overwhelmingly good school system over P.G. head. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rip for that statement, but when it came down to schools Charles county only fair better in certain aspects.

Cheaper housing is probably what Charles County is known for and it is a nice county.
I would be interested to know what makes Charles County Schools only nominally better now. Were Charles County Schools much better in the past? When I look at "downtown" Waldorf, it just looks like a remnant of an old Southern sleepy town. I just see of a lot of urban sprawl, I don't see what makes Charles County particularly distinct. That's why these comments are so important because I can't even find a characterization of what Charles County was like even 20 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanbj45 View Post
The SOMD Blue Crabs, St. Charles Town Center, Capital Clubhouse are the only things for Waldorf teens to do. Charles County Schools aren't the greatest right now, but with North Points special programs, waldorf schools are getting back on track. There are plans to build a school near Regency Furniture Stadium that opens in August of 2013 that mimics North Point with STI's and specialized programs. This will be the 4th School that is located in Waldorf (Westlake, Thomas Stone, North Point) Also, Charles County has the most crime and development only in the north. I think Southern Charles County will retain its quality and rural-ness. It's crazy to see the difference that a 20 minute drive to the southeast of Waldorf has. 20 minutes away from Waldorf is Hughesville, and Charlotte Hall which are very rural with farming and a developed Amish community.
It gets to a certain point when driving north on 301 into PG County it just becomes completely rural. It sounds like Charles County has some of the same characteristics. Do both counties have an urban development boundary like Montgomery County? It is interesting how these apparent zones of crime and underperforming schools are allowed to cluster in certain parts of the county (PG inside the beltway, Northern Charles County).

Old 02-27-2011, 04:43 PM

45,324 posts, read 60,500,026 times
The southern part of PG has exclusionary zoning to preserve open space and forest land. As far as I know Charles does not. The lack of development in both areas you mentioned has a lot to do with wetlands issues.

White Flight vs. Black Flight.
WF to Calvert started in the late 80s and accelerated through the 90s as a response to BF out of DC to PG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland