Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:05 PM

33 posts, read 83,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The buses have been very reliable over the past 5 years that I have lived in Gaithersburg. Do you actually ride on them, or depend on them like I have? In 2009 i went 4 months without a car in Gaithersburg. I need a bumper sticker that says, "My other car is a Ride-On Bus!" Sometimes you have to wait for one. I don't see a problem with that.
I have been riding ride-on-bus and metro train everyday to and from work for the past half year. I can't say for all buses, but my bus comes every half hour, and sometimes it would delay for 15 minutes or more or come 5 minutes earlier, and sometimes it would just cancel one shift.

I think you and I just have different expectations on bus system here. If driving is your main transportation method and bus is just a backup, then the system here is very good. But I grew up in a large international city where bus and walking is first option to get around. Bus comes every few minutes, tons of people walking on streets between shops. I am not critcizing the bus system here at all. I actually think the system here is much better than rest of the country, except for downtown DC and NYC. But responding to the first post, I feel it's just not good enough for me to go without car for everyday life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 04:34 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wells1999 View Post
I have been riding ride-on-bus and metro train everyday to and from work for the past half year. I can't say for all buses, but my bus comes every half hour, and sometimes it would delay for 15 minutes or more or come 5 minutes earlier, and sometimes it would just cancel one shift.

I think you and I just have different expectations on bus system here. If driving is your main transportation method and bus is just a backup, then the system here is very good. But I grew up in a large international city where bus and walking is first option to get around. Bus comes every few minutes, tons of people walking on streets between shops. I am not critcizing the bus system here at all. I actually think the system here is much better than rest of the country, except for downtown DC and NYC. But responding to the first post, I feel it's just not good enough for me to go without car for everyday life.
I see. I drive more now, but that was not the case previously. We both think it's a good bus system, just disagree on dependability. I think it would be nice to have more buses and for them to run until midnight though.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:12 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman23 View Post
Is it possible to get by without a car in places like Bethesda, Rockville, Fort Washington, Frederick or Gaithersburg?
YES...

if you are willing to ALSO use cabs and occasionally rent a car...
you can go car less just about anywhere in any modern city.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 AM

109 posts, read 469,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
all the places u mentioned except fedrick have good systems well connected ones. Federick is isolated!!!! click here http://wmata.com/pdfs/bus/MD.pdf and here http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/co.../SystemMap.pdf if u must know federick here http://www.frederickcountymd.gov/documents/Transit/08RideGuide.PDF (broken link) by the way to get out of federick u will need greyhound which goes to baltimore or DC with several departures also greyhound goes to haggerstown and pittsburg too.
Greyhound is not the only way out of Frederick, Marc trains run to DC multiple times daily.

Aside from that, Frederick may be a little tough to live without a car. The bus system is actually pretty efficient. Downtown Frederick is definitely walkable, with tons of shops and restaurants and a few other cultural venues. But, its a smaller city than Baltimore so its got its downsides. If I had to pick a community outside of B-more to live car-free I'd probably do Southern Mo-Co simply for the metro system, but those places near the metro can be very expensive with or without roommates.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:56 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by histmaj View Post
Greyhound is not the only way out of Frederick, Marc trains run to DC multiple times daily.

Aside from that, Frederick may be a little tough to live without a car. The bus system is actually pretty efficient. Downtown Frederick is definitely walkable, with tons of shops and restaurants and a few other cultural venues. But, its a smaller city than Baltimore so its got its downsides. If I had to pick a community outside of B-more to live car-free I'd probably do Southern Mo-Co simply for the metro system, but those places near the metro can be very expensive with or without roommates.
Three trips, Monday-Friday mornings only. No weekend service. Latest departure is about 7:00 a.m. Other than that, it's Greyhound or the MTA commuter bus (which runs a similar Monday-Friday commuter-only schedule).

Old 06-17-2011, 03:55 PM

201 posts, read 574,283 times
The Lower Eastern Shore. Especially Ocean City and Berlin.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:34 AM

4 posts, read 8,696 times
Takoma Park is very walkable and has a metro station- it's a slower paced kind of area. Rockville I don't think is very walkable. Bethesda is walkable and busy. Silver Spring seems so urban to me...but walkable. Gaithersburg seems walkable and is developing its downtown area in the coming yr.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:33 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,697,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
all the places u mentioned except fedrick have good systems well connected ones. Federick is isolated!!!! click here http://wmata.com/pdfs/bus/MD.pdf and here http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/co.../SystemMap.pdf if u must know federick here http://www.frederickcountymd.gov/documents/Transit/08RideGuide.PDF (broken link) by the way to get out of federick u will need greyhound which goes to baltimore or DC with several departures also greyhound goes to haggerstown and pittsburg too.
What they should have is something like this:

Imagine, DC: Imagine a Better Rail Link to Frederick

Old 07-08-2011, 03:41 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Takoma Park, Rockville, Silver Spring, Bethesda... those are probably the only ones. And since two of those are CDPs they cover a large area. Some parts of Bethesda (mainly near the downtown core) are very urbanized and have frequent bus service and are near the Metro. Other parts might as well be in the fringes of Prince William County.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:28 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
What they should have is something like this:

Imagine, DC: Imagine a Better Rail Link to Frederick
sadly that still isn't enough 991 does this but needs a bidirectional full time schedule similar th commuter 201. Also bus to hagerstown from federick would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland