Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 07:03 PM

721 posts, read 1,211,458 times

Advertisements

We plan to drive from Rockville, MD, to Washington DC to see the Christmas tree near the White House (National Tree?) after work on Friday evening.

Since it'll be holiday weekend, I'm afraid that the traffic will be very busy to DC and back to Rockville later at night. Is that the case?

If it's not very busy, which route will be the easiest to take to get to DC to see the Christmas tree?

FYI, our location in Rockville is near 355, the Rockville Pike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,217 times
Responses are in red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
We plan to drive from Rockville, MD, to Washington DC to see the Christmas tree near the White House (National Tree?) after work on Friday evening. That is an awful long drive you're taking.

Since it'll be holiday weekend, I'm afraid that the traffic will be very busy to DC and back to Rockville later at night. Is that the case? Specify a time. During the evening rush hour, taking I-270 is a reverse commute but getting off I-270 then getting back on 355 to Bethesda, you will hit traffic in Bethesda, Chevy Chase and approaching DC. In short, it will be a very LONG drive. I'm not sure how long you'll be there but after 7-7:30, rush hour ends but the distance back to Rockville is a LONG drive.

If it's not very busy, which route will be the easiest to take to get to DC to see the Christmas tree?

FYI, our location in Rockville is near 355, the Rockville Pike.

Just take the metro. You'll want to throw a bat at the traffic that lies ahead. Red line into DC then get off at metro center then transfer to the blue/orange lines going to Vienna/Springfield, couple of stops later, get off Federal Triangle, walk 2 blocks West and you're there. This is a possible route back if you're leaving.

http://g.co/maps/jkxvk

But check on the traffic reports. I highly recommend public transportation for all DC sightseeing.

Last edited by rsh56; 12-21-2011 at 08:23 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Specify a time. During the evening rush hour, taking I-270 is a reverse commute but getting off I-270 then getting back on 355 to Bethesda, you will hit traffic in Bethesda, Chevy Chase and approaching DC. In short, it will be a very LONG drive. I'm not sure how long you'll be there but after 7-7:30
FYI, we plan to leave Rockville at 6:30pm or 7pm, spend about half an hour or so to see the Christmas tree in DC, and head back. That is heading back to Rockville at around 9pm.

Thanks for your suggestion! Maybe we should just take Metro.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:59 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Heading back at 9 pm won't be a problem.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
I highly recommend public transportation for all DC sightseeing.
Thanks for the suggestion! We took Metro to see the National tree this evening. It was a smooth trip to DC and back to Rockville.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:48 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,217 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland