Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 04:14 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times

Advertisements

Actually, I am a law graduate and I have a damn job, thank you very much. And I think marijuana, and many other things to be fair, need to be legalized. Do you not value freedom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 04:17 PM

575 posts, read 554,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Actually, I am a law graduate and I have a damn job, thank you very much. And I think marijuana, and many other things to be fair, need to be legalized. Do you not value freedom?
I do...but I do not value drugs being brought into the community. If we legalize pot, then the undesirables will come into the community and ruin everything.

Please spare me your civil libertarian BS.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 PM

20 posts, read 41,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
I do...but I do not value drugs being brought into the community. If we legalize pot, then the undesirables will come into the community and ruin everything.

Please spare me your civil libertarian BS.

LMAO!!! You're a trooper.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:57 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlander View Post
Since pot use impairs cognitive, intellectual and emotional development in kids, Governor O'Malley is correct in opposing its legalization...
? Isn't alcohol illegal for minors? I did not drink alcohol ( w/o parental permission on rare occasions) as a teenager or smoke. I do not think anyone is suggesting making these substances legal for minors.

There are a lot of teenagers who drink and smoke, although it is illegal for them. There are also...at least when I was a college student...a ton of teenagers who drop acid, do ecstasy and smoke marijuana. It doesn't matter whether or not these substances are legal or illegal.

Teenagers abuse nutmeg, choke themselves or swallow packets of morning glory seeds to get high. The government can't stop people from doing these things...I guess you can ensure Everything* is illegal, but as Americans, how far do we go before we start stepping on a citizen's right to pursue happiness.

Kids who think doing drugs is wrong are not going to start toking up because marijuana use is legal for adults.

If you are a parent who is afraid of this, then start spending time with and communicating with your kids. Get a program started at school. If a substance is illegal, but somehow addictive and lucrative, there's always going to be a market for it. The best bet is an open dialogue w/ the teenager.

*If a politician is reading this, yes people can get high from large doses of nutmeg or morning glory seeds. As a gardener, I am begging you to avoid the temptation of outlawing morning glories. BTW I am sure you can have a horrible trip or die trying any of the above, so I wouldn't recommend them.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarsCorner View Post
LMAO!!! You're a trooper.
I'm only standing up for my opinion. I will not be railroaded by people who somehow have an issue with a person being against the legalization of weed.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:48 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,336 times
Op is either a troll, or willingly ignorant. They are grossly misinformed across the board on this subject. I recommend looking into the stats involving crime and addiction in Portugal where most drugs where legalized 10 years ago. But I have this hunch you won't let facts get in the way of your baseless rhetoric.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
Op is either a troll, or willingly ignorant. They are grossly misinformed across the board on this subject. I recommend looking into the stats involving crime and addiction in Portugal where most drugs where legalized 10 years ago. But I have this hunch you won't let facts get in the way of your baseless rhetoric.
Ding Ding Ding.....we have a winner.

BTW, you cannot compare the crime stats of Portugal to that of the USA. You're talking about 2 different nations with different customs, norms, people and socioeconomic backgrounds. What may work in one country may not work here.

Finally, the facts say that I'm right. The War on Drugs has been successful at keeping drugs and cartels out of our country, kids can go to school without seeing vending machines full of drugs and those people who choose to sell drugs are put away for life for breaking the law.

There is nothing wrong with the current system at all. Those who seek to change it are fundamentally ignorant about drugs and there affect on the community as a whole in my opinion. As I said, I took D.A.R.E in Elementary school and got an A+, so I think I know what I'm talking about here.

I've presented facts which prove that the government, CANNOT turn a profit from the legalization of weed; yet some of you suggest otherwise and have sourced information which grossly over estimates the value of marijuana.

Now, unless you have some studies which prove that legalizing it is 'okay' and that weed has 'no adverse affects', then my opinion won't be changing anytime soon. As far as I'm concerned, Weed is a drug and drugs are bad. The only good drugs are those which are used to HELP people, not help alleviate the pain; and before you say "what about painkillers, Vicodin and Asprin"?

Well you see, those are legal drugs and it's okay to use those; weed is an ILLEGAL drug and those are forbidden by law.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
Ding Ding Ding.....we have a winner.

BTW, you cannot compare the crime stats of Portugal to that of the USA. You're talking about 2 different nations with different customs, norms, people and socioeconomic backgrounds. What may work in one country may not work here.

Finally, the facts say that I'm right. The War on Drugs has been successful at keeping drugs and cartels out of our country, kids can go to school without seeing vending machines full of drugs and those people who choose to sell drugs are put away for life for breaking the law.

There is nothing wrong with the current system at all. Those who seek to change it are fundamentally ignorant about drugs and there affect on the community as a whole in my opinion. As I said, I took D.A.R.E in Elementary school and got an A+, so I think I know what I'm talking about here.

I've presented facts which prove that the government, CANNOT turn a profit from the legalization of weed; yet some of you suggest otherwise and have sourced information which grossly over estimates the value of marijuana.

Now, unless you have some studies which prove that legalizing it is 'okay' and that weed has 'no adverse affects', then my opinion won't be changing anytime soon. As far as I'm concerned, Weed is a drug and drugs are bad. The only good drugs are those which are used to HELP people, not help alleviate the pain; and before you say "what about painkillers, Vicodin and Asprin"?

Well you see, those are legal drugs and it's okay to use those; weed is an ILLEGAL drug and those are forbidden by law
Criminal offenses can be broken down into two general categories malum in se and malum prohibitum. The distinction between malum in se and malum prohibitum offenses is best characterized as follows: a malum in se offense is "naturally evil as adjudged by the sense of a civilized community," whereas a malum prohibitum offense is wrong only because a statute makes it so. State v. Horton, 139 N.C. 588, 51 S.E. 945, 946 (1905).

Marijuana is only illegal because the government says it is so, not because of some inherent quaility of the substance itself. Evidence of this is our strange policy of making some drugs legal, some illegal, and some legal only when prescribed by a doctor, despite all of their potential to harm.

I don't know if weed is good, bad, or other, but I can assure you far more lives have been lost and ruined by prescription pain killer abuse than dope smoking.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
there goes my vacation...

Old 11-13-2012, 12:01 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,336 times

What Happened When Portugal Decriminalized Drugs? - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland