Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 11:08 AM

41 posts, read 64,542 times

Advertisements

A coworker believes someone in the office posted something about her on the public bulletin board in the building. The office is all women. Due to everyone being accused, everyone kind of stays to themselves. I hate that type of work environment. I need help. What can I do to help coworkers trust again and engage socially?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,443,020 times
If folks are going to be petty and dysfunctional, I would rather stay to myself anyway. So my advice would be to do nothing, because you may get caught in the middle. The Work/Employment forum may have more tips for you.

What was posted, by the way?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:42 PM

an arrest that happened when she was young.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,018,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autum50 View Post
A coworker believes someone in the office posted something about her on the public bulletin board in the building. The office is all women. Due to everyone being accused, everyone kind of stays to themselves. I hate that type of work environment. I need help. What can I do to help coworkers trust again and engage socially?
Are you a manager? This might be easier if you are, but you may want to do some team building exercises. Sometimes people need to interact outside the realms of the office before they break down their walls. There are a lot of activities that can be done, including bowling, volleyball, a cookout with games, potluck. Just anything that gets people away from their desk and as long as you include some activities that include teamwork.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
an arrest that happened when she was young.
Wow. I think the group needs a good talking to about appropriate and inappropriate behavior at the office, with the message that the inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. That is the job of the head manager, director, etc. It is inappropriate and immature to post employee information on the bulletin board that is negative and unrelated to work. Once the boundaries are reinforced by management, then the incident will eventually blow over.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:12 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,917,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Are you a manager? This might be easier if you are, but you may want to do some team building exercises. Sometimes people need to interact outside the realms of the office before they break down their walls. There are a lot of activities that can be done, including bowling, volleyball, a cookout with games, potluck. Just anything that gets people away from their desk and as long as you include some activities that include teamwork.

This is what teachers do with kids in elementary school. The workplace is supposed to be populated by adults. Let them work it out themselves and dismiss any troublemakers.
If it be a government office setting the problem lingers as federal employees are near impossible to fire.

In that case the elementary school approach makes sense as their mindsets aren't much more advanced.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:50 AM

703 posts, read 2,946,636 times
My approach to this situation is "MYOB - Mind your own business."

It's a job. You're there to earn a living not to make friends. If you hate that type of work environment then leave. It's obvious that everyone else is fine putting up with that setting as they're still working there, so why do you think it's your responsibility to needle them to change? Leave it up to management and HR to deal with it, stay out of it or risk making it worst with your involvement. If that happens, you would either implicitly or explicitly be assigned the blame for the toxic environment and potentially risk losing your job. Nothing good will come out of being a nosey busy body.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:13 AM

I'm not the manager. It has been turned over to HR to handle. In the meanwhile, the person is going through and calls in sick a lot. Thus, I don't see much that is being done. It's an awkward situation and sense, I'm in the office also, I just wondered if I can be of some help.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I'm not the manager. It has been turned over to HR to handle. In the meanwhile, the person is going through and calls in sick a lot. Thus, I don't see much that is being done. It's an awkward situation and sense, I'm in the office also, I just wondered if I can be of some help.
Yes, HR should handle it, in conjunction with the manager. However, HR doesn't often do well (or do anything) in these situations. If you get involved, it will lead to resentment. If you feel it will help, perhaps just trying saying hello or being cordial with the person involved, as if nothing happened. That may be helpful to her.

It doesn't sound like the nicest place to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland