Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 03:41 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,698 times

Advertisements

It will be interesting to see how effective this break will be.

Prince George’s approves deal to revitalize University Town Center in Hyattsville - The Washington Post

Quote:
The Prince George’s County Council on Tuesday approved a $1.1 million tax deal for a development project at University Town Center— the entertainment, office and housing community that has struggled with vacancies and foreclosures since the recession.

The deal is part of a $3.5 million subsidy package that the county and the City of Hyattsville are granting to developer Echo Realty in an effort to revitalize the town center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Ironic. UTC was supposed to revitalize that area, now it needs revitalizing itself. I'm glad that construction is targeted for Spring. It's good that new projects are getting through the pipeline faster. Maybe those apprval changes made this year are working.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 11-12-2013 at 04:00 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 06:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Good money after bad.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:17 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Ironic. UTC was supposed to revitalize that area, now it needs revitalizing itself. I'm glad that construction is targeted for Spring. It's good that new projects are getting through the pipeline faster. Maybe those apprval changes made this year are working.
Yeah it definitely looks like it. It would be nice if they had a few private firms to anchor the project but that is going to be a challenge in this economy

Old 11-15-2013, 06:41 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Yeah it definitely looks like it. It would be nice if they had a few private firms to anchor the project but that is going to be a challenge in this economy
County officials noticed the vacancy rates in the offices of UTC were creeping up and decided to take action. The office vacancy rate started creeping up past 50%. People questioned the economic devlopment fund, but here is another good example of its use.

Quote:
"We view this as Prince George's County's only true existing transit-oriented development," said David Iannucci, top economic development official for Prince George's County Executive Rushern Baker. "We have these 15 metro stations and this is the only one where these three components are in place."

The county decided to step in, Iannucci said, when office vacancy rates at University Town Center began creeping up. At their height, retail vacancy rates at the project were above 50 percent, which the county considered "unacceptable," he said.
I also like the ambitious opening date.

Quote:
Echo Development hopes to begin construction in the spring of 2014 and Safeway could open in the fall of 2014, according to the county.
The article also mentions Forestville Mall's revitalization with the opening of Roses.

Read more: Retail sites see revitalization in Prince George's County - Washington Business Journal

Old 11-15-2013, 07:54 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Wow that shopping center in Forestville was awful for years. Glad they are doing something with it.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:34 AM

117 posts, read 234,382 times
Cool, I’m still kinda new to PG (Moved from MoCo 2 years ago). I went to the Arts district in Hyattsville for the 1st time last weekend, my wife and I were impressed. We look forward to further development. I have seen lots of progress the last few years in PG. Places we like so far is Woodmore town center, Largo town center, Bowie Town center, development at PG mall, Arts district Hyattsville, and National Harbor. I hear that College Park, Laurel, and Greenbelt are among other new developments in the pipeline. Looks like there is more going on in PG than in MoCo.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:29 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
County officials noticed the vacancy rates in the offices of UTC were creeping up and decided to take action. The office vacancy rate started creeping up past 50%. People questioned the economic devlopment fund, but here is another good example of its use.

I also like the ambitious opening date.

The article also mentions Forestville Mall's revitalization with the opening of Roses.

Read more: Retail sites see revitalization in Prince George's County - Washington Business Journal
It's a not a convenient place to visit at all. I have eaten at the Qdoba burrito joint a few times and every time I made the effort to go to UTC I was reminded of why I don't consider it a destination of choice. The layout is not car-friendly, and maybe that's the point? But I hardly consider the area a "transit-oriented" development because it's not like the metro station is a block away without having to cross a major 4 lane road that is heavily traveled. Plus, one has visions of strolling through Trinidad in DC when contemplating the act of being anywhere near the PG Mall or the UTC development after dark.

There's a reason it is flailing.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:52 AM

70 posts, read 152,131 times
Wow it seems that utc has barely been up for like 5 years and it already needs revitalizing? Gotta admit I never go there though.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Old 11-16-2013, 11:16 AM

1,261 posts, read 693,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Good money after bad.
It reminds me of Ernie Grunfeld GM of the Wizards.....he makes a mess, then cleans up the mess, and thinks he is accomplishing something....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland